Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2011, 06:19 PM

606 posts, read 1,078,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EthanKM View Post
LOL, I love cooler climates too. It is funny to me, I live in Atlanta, and very much dislike the summers here. From May thru October it is just too hot. Everyone I know has this love affair with the beach, heat and laying out in the sun, but not me, I am pale as a ghost and love a cold rainy climate, glad we are not all alike. Paradise to me is on a lake in a kayak with clouds rolling in and about 60-70 farenheit ;o) I guess I need to move to the Pacific Northwest of the USA.
I know, I found the same thing happened in North Carolina too. EVERYONE I know from there absolutely adores the beach (where my sister lives, by the way, in Wilmington, it's even hotter than Central NC). It never made sense to me WHY people want to bake in the sun and get salt water in their eyes, and every time they asked me which part of the beach I liked, I answered I don't like the beach, and they look at me like I have six eyes. I love lakes too, but I'm more a NE girl. Adirondacks and all .

Old 07-21-2011, 06:57 PM

14,325 posts, read 14,623,274 times
When I was younger, I was a sun bunny always working on my sun tan, loved being at the pool or the beach. Now that I'm older, I like being outdoors but cannot take the heat like I did when I was younger. Sitting at the beach, on a towel, not happening. I go to the beach, walk along, collect some rocks for my flower beds but that is about it.

Old 07-21-2011, 11:49 PM

3,721 posts, read 7,827,396 times
I just spent the week working in a city with EXCELLENT weather! A dry heat that was constantly getting from about 77 to 93 degrees each day, with nights warm enough to sleep without a blanket, but not so hot that I couldn't sleep. Now I'm back in Seattle. It's much cooler, much cloudier, and I just saw some rain falling for the first time since I left here last Sunday. Wish I could have brought the weather back with me from the Tri-Cities!

Old 07-21-2011, 11:58 PM

914 posts, read 2,104,513 times
Seattle's weather is paradise right now. No wonder why everyone loves Seattle!

Old 07-22-2011, 12:10 AM

3,721 posts, read 7,827,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaul View Post
Seattle's weather is paradise right now. No wonder why everyone loves Seattle!
I'm so SICK of the weather here! I'm moving to the Tri-Cities (which is only a three to four hour drive from here) as soon as I can!

I read their newspaper's weather page. The year to date rainfall over there is about what Seattle averages in a typical January alone. I'm ready to move!!!!!

Old 07-22-2011, 06:55 AM

14,325 posts, read 14,623,274 times
Play nice, you down under folks! Sounds like those of us up north having to listen to people south of the Mason Dixon line say how brutal and cold their winters are when they are really clueless as to a true winter as in 3 mos. with temps below 30!

Of course, our heat spell isn't for 3 mos. but the problem comes in our area so many homes do not have a/c, with average summer temps of 75, many homes without it.

Old 07-22-2011, 10:05 AM

2,727 posts, read 6,154,641 times
Only having read the thread title......................

I say sunshine and heat = great weather because I hate wearing coats and sweaters and long pants. My ideal casual dress is shorts, t-shirts, sandals/flip flops. So that's why for me great weather is sunshine and heat.

Old 07-22-2011, 10:42 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,224,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjg5 View Post
I'm so SICK of the weather here! I'm moving to the Tri-Cities (which is only a three to four hour drive from here) as soon as I can!

I read their newspaper's weather page. The year to date rainfall over there is about what Seattle averages in a typical January alone. I'm ready to move!!!!!
I could only dream about being in Seattle. The weather in most of the country is horrid right now.

Old 07-22-2011, 10:55 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,744,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTGirlNoMore View Post
Only having read the thread title......................

I say sunshine and heat = great weather because I hate wearing coats and sweaters and long pants. My ideal casual dress is shorts, t-shirts, sandals/flip flops. So that's why for me great weather is sunshine and heat.
It seems like most people prefer wearing less and thinner clothing. But for some reason I'd rather be wearing a few layers, like a long sleeved shirt over a tshirt, with a light jacket. And I never wear shorts, always pants. Shorts just feel weird to me, and don't seem to help me keep much cooler. I also prefer the appearance of most winter clothing over summer clothing. To my eyes, most people, men and women, look classier wearing long pants, sleeves, coats, and hats.

Old 07-22-2011, 11:00 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,224,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
It seems like most people prefer wearing less and thinner clothing. But for some reason I'd rather be wearing a few layers, like a long sleeved shirt over a tshirt, with a light jacket. And I never wear shorts, always pants. Shorts just feel weird to me, and don't seem to help me keep much cooler. I also prefer the appearance of most winter clothing over summer clothing. To my eyes, most people, men and women, look classier wearing long pants, sleeves, coats, and hats.
Agreed. I'm very comfortable walking around in pants and a sweatshirt during the cooler months. Layering up actually works. Like I always say, the only practical way to stay cool is running up the electric bill and adding stress to the grid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather