Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 09:09 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,808,501 times

Advertisements

I sometimes like humidity.
Sometimes I enjoy humidity of 75-100% RH.
Usually I prefer humidity between 35-65%; no chance of condensation, slim chance of dry skin.

I didn't mind when I've experienced dewpoints that exceeded 80 F/27 C for a few days.
I might feel differently though if I lived somewhere the dewpoint stayed 75+ F for months on end.

I'd be happy to live with year-round dewpoints in the 50-72 F/10-22 C range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2011, 12:45 AM

2,611 posts, read 3,590,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
There is less energy in dry air at any given temperature than in humid air. Greater humidity in the air retards the rate of heat loss more than dry air. This is easier to understand when it is hot, but the same applies at colder temperatures.
The following article seems to say the opposite. You can check it out here:

humidity — Infoplease.com

But to quote one sentence it says: "Cold air with high relative humidity “feels” colder than dry air of the same temperature because high humidity in cold weather increases the conduction of heat from the body. Conversely, hot air attended by high relative humidity “feels” warmer than it actually is because of an increased conduction of heat to the body combined with a lessening of the cooling effect afforded by evaporation."

Old 07-09-2011, 06:23 AM

98 posts, read 136,606 times
I don't really care for humidity, sweat like a dog when it's hot and humid..... and my evaporative cooling is useless against it.

Old 07-09-2011, 07:20 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,742,163 times
I prefer humidity.....when it's about 55 degrees or less. But when it's hot there's nothing I hate more than humidity. I find more discomfort with a humid 70 than I do a dry 85.

Old 07-09-2011, 08:00 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j96g View Post
The following article seems to say the opposite. You can check it out here:

humidity — Infoplease.com

But to quote one sentence it says: "Cold air with high relative humidity “feels” colder than dry air of the same temperature because high humidity in cold weather increases the conduction of heat from the body. Conversely, hot air attended by high relative humidity “feels” warmer than it actually is because of an increased conduction of heat to the body combined with a lessening of the cooling effect afforded by evaporation."
Conduction isn't the main player in body heat loss though, unless you are taking a swim. Convective or radiative heat loss would play a greater role.

I've tried to get to the bottom of this for a while. The science doesn't appear to be settled. One of the more obvious aspects is the lack of any quantifying data. Lots of ideas, but no numbers or data to back up the claim that drier air is warmer.

The sentence you quoted would imply that there is a temperature at which the effect would be neutral, if so, that would be easy to establish, but doesn't seem to be.

Old 07-09-2011, 12:53 PM

3,721 posts, read 7,826,181 times
Can't stand humidity. Any sort of muggy feeling is horrible for me. I hated it in Missouri, glad I only spent a week there. Even Seattle can get muggy from time to time, and although it is nothing close to what I experienced in Missouri, it is still horrible. Can't wait to relocate to a drier climate! And one with four real seasons to boot! Soon.... soon....

Old 07-09-2011, 02:09 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,221,445 times
I prefer humidity anytime of the year except summer. Can't stand the warm and humid days of summer. Gets too stuffy and uncomfortable. A cool, humid day is very pleasant though.

Today is in the mid-80s, but with comfortable humidity levels. Windows are still open.

Old 07-10-2011, 03:19 PM

2,611 posts, read 3,590,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Conduction isn't the main player in body heat loss though, unless you are taking a swim. Convective or radiative heat loss would play a greater role.

I've tried to get to the bottom of this for a while. The science doesn't appear to be settled. One of the more obvious aspects is the lack of any quantifying data. Lots of ideas, but no numbers or data to back up the claim that drier air is warmer.

The sentence you quoted would imply that there is a temperature at which the effect would be neutral, if so, that would be easy to establish, but doesn't seem to be.
While researching the first time I did run into that temp, but now I can't find it. But I remember reading that it was 54-59 degrees somewhere there that humidity starts to effect how it feels. Some study done in some place Boulder? And it made sense, because i read another article that said if it's cold outside and you want it to feel warmer in your house, pair up the heater with a humidifier since anything over 60°F with more humidity will feel warmer than just using direct heat with lower humidity in the home.

Old 07-11-2011, 08:51 AM

3,483 posts, read 6,264,181 times
Don't move to the charlotte region. Its humid every day here

Old 07-11-2011, 08:55 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistynights View Post
Who here also enjoys humidity?

Dry weather irritates my skin, throat, and noise! Oh how it makes me miserable!
When we lived in Durango, Colorado, I had so many nose bleeds (despite running a humidifier 24 hours a day), that I actually became anemic from loss of blood. It goes without saying that I do not prefer low-humidity environments.

Missouri, on the other hand is on the opposite side of the spectrum - under the heading "a little too much of a good thing". LOL Although it is nice not to bleed to death every time you blow your nose, it does make it more physically uncomfortable to be outside during the hottest part of the summer and the coldest part of the winter.

If I had a choice, I'd pick a humidity level of about 50 - 60 percent. That seems to be just about right for me. However, if I had to choose between 20 percent or 90 percent, I'd pick 90 percent any day.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather