Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Rate the Climate - Manaus, Brazil
A 4 11.11%
B 4 11.11%
C 6 16.67%
D 7 19.44%
F 15 41.67%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 06:03 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,576,930 times

Advertisements

B++, similar to Singapore but cloudier
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 07:49 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,377,151 times
Overall not a bad climate – but a little too wet…and sunshine hrs too low… to seriously consider ever living there (the annual sunshine hrs for Manaus (1700) are a bit shocking, as I would have expected at least 2300 ann). Seven months of the year average more than 7 inches of rain…add in the non-stop tropical humidity, lack of a breeze, and interior location…. and Manaus is a good example why the coastal Aw climates like Rio and Miami are far superior IMO in terms of a year round climate enjoyment.

C+

Old 11-07-2011, 11:09 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,732,932 times
For me what makes Manaus so great are:

-Constant heat and humidity year round (I love to sweat)
-Wet most of the year so I can see luxurious tropical vegetation
-Relatively low sunshine hours as I don't like strong sunshine as it hurts my eyes and gives me a headache. I don't like to wear sunglasses either.
-No risk whatsoever of tropical cyclones

Old 11-07-2011, 11:45 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,576,930 times
Aaaaaaaaah, finally someone who likes humidity ! I'm not alone ! Hurrah !

Old 11-07-2011, 11:46 AM

6,908 posts, read 7,680,478 times
C too cloudy, too much rain.

Would take natal over that one:

Natal, Rio Grande do Norte - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

natal gets 3,000 sunshine hours per year.

Old 11-07-2011, 11:57 AM

Well I like most equatorial climates. Natal is great too. As long as its hot and humid, I'm happy. Sunshine isn't as important to me as temperatures.

Old 11-07-2011, 03:42 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,735,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Well I like most equatorial climates. Natal is great too. As long as its hot and humid, I'm happy. Sunshine isn't as important to me as temperatures.
At these temperatures lack of sunshine becomes important, as often the only thing that relieves heat is cloud cover and the rain.

Old 11-07-2011, 06:36 PM

I'm more concerned about high UV exposure since I have fair skin.. I like the idea of being in a hot and humid place where I don't have as high a chance of getting burned.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:55 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,972,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
Overall not a bad climate – but a little too wet…and sunshine hrs too low… to seriously consider ever living there (the annual sunshine hrs for Manaus (1700) are a bit shocking, as I would have expected at least 2300 ann). Seven months of the year average more than 7 inches of rain…add in the non-stop tropical humidity, lack of a breeze, and interior location…. and Manaus is a good example why the coastal Aw climates like Rio and Miami are far superior IMO in terms of a year round climate enjoyment.

C+
Snshine hours are typically low as you get closer to the equator. This is a misconception that a lot of temperate dwellers have of the deep tropics, especially at and close to the equator. Remember, near the equator and deep tropics you have the ITCZ, which is a band of consistent low pressure that brings cloudy, rainy, and stormy weather to the tropics. The most sunshine is located in the horse latitudes or subtropics, since high pressure/subtropical ridge dominates at these latitudes. This is also the reason why most of the world's deserts are located at these latitudes.

Of course, this is generally speaking. Some exceptions to the rule include, but are not limited to, western South America, southern Sahara and southern Horn of Africa and northeast Brazil.

THis is actually an interesting question. Why is Manaus much wetter than somewhere like Natal?

Last edited by theunbrainwashed; 11-07-2011 at 09:06 PM..

Old 11-07-2011, 09:12 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,377,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Snshine hours are typically low as you get closer to the equator. This is a misconception that a lot of temperate dwellers have of the deep tropics, especially at and close to the equator. Remember, near the equator and deep tropics you have the ITCZ, which is a band of consistent low pressure that brings cloudy, rainy, and stormy weather to the tropics. The most sunshine is located in the horse latitudes or subtropics, since high pressure/subtropical ridge dominates at these latitudes. This is also the reason why most of the world's deserts are located at these latitudes.

Since I'm bound to get a few people who are nitpicky, there are, of course, exceptions to the rule. Well, one exception in this case, and that's the southern half of the Horn of Africa
Ironically, I’ve repeated what you stated above 25 times on this forumoften with many people at once disagreeing with me. Good to see someone knows where the “solar equator” is. Heat fans have this image that the closer one is to 0 latitude, the better. I’ve always maintained that the best all around warm climates (when you consider sun hours, stable weather, warm temps…etc) is in the Aw zone or around 18 to 25 latitude.

Rep points to you my friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather