Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Rate the Climate - Manaus, Brazil
A 4 11.11%
B 4 11.11%
C 6 16.67%
D 7 19.44%
F 15 41.67%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 09:26 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
Ironically, I’ve repeated what you stated above 25 times on this forumoften with many people at once disagreeing with me. Good to see someone knows where the “solar equator” is. Heat fans have this image that the closer one is to 0 latitude, the better. I’ve always maintained that the best all around warm climates (when you consider sun hours, stable weather, warm temps…etc) is in the Aw zone or around 18 to 25 latitude.

Rep points to you my friend.
Thanks. If those people need a graphical representation of what we're talking about, here it is: the Hadley Cell

Moral of the story, if lots and lots sunshine is what you're after, live in the subtropics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 11:43 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,707,457 times
I like equatorial climates better than the outer tropics not because I want more sunshine but because I want hot and humid conditions year round with NO chance of cooler weather (i.e. no temps below 60F at night). Also, there is NO chance of tropical storms which you can get in most cases between 18-25 latitude.

Old 11-08-2011, 06:07 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,365,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I like equatorial climates better than the outer tropics not because I want more sunshine but because I want hot and humid conditions year round with NO chance of cooler weather (i.e. no temps below 60F at night). Also, there is NO chance of tropical storms which you can get in most cases between 18-25 latitude.
I know a few people who briefly relocated to the true tropics (Costa Rica, Colombia, and Bangkok)...eventually they all came back to the USA (one to Montreal!!!). You think that you could take day after day of deep sultry weather, humid air, frequent rain, hot temps, little wind, snake bites, bugs, mold, rot...etc ....but it all wears thin after a while. If you look at all the mega world class tropical resorts/cities (Rio, Sao Paulo, Miami, Brisbane, Hong Kong...etc) they are all on the margin of the true tropics. Even in these cities, some of the above issues are small problems. In the time I’ve been in Miami, I’ve learned you don’t shut the AC for long, or all your towels will get mold...or that insect mitigation is a YEAR ROUND prospect (and cost)....or that HEAT AND SUN can damage things quite fast...or that you don’t go TOO DEEP into the western Dade/Broward County or you might find this:

I can only imagine what life would be like in the TRUE TROPICS in the jungles of central Africa, the Amazon...etc. The margins of the tropics have all the benefits of the deep tropics...without all the vices it seems. Trust me.

Old 11-08-2011, 08:12 AM

Quote:
I know a few people who briefly relocated to the true tropics (Costa Rica, Colombia, and Bangkok)...eventually they all came back to the USA (one to Montreal!!!). You think that you could take day after day of deep sultry weather, humid air, frequent rain, hot temps, little wind, snake bites, bugs, mold, rot...etc ....but it all wears thin after a while. If you look at all the mega world class tropical resorts/cities (Rio, Sao Paulo, Miami, Brisbane, Hong Kong...etc) they are all on the margin of the true tropics. Even in these cities, some of the above issues are small problems. In the time I’ve been in Miami, I’ve learned you don’t shut the AC for long, or all your towels will get mold...or that insect mitigation is a YEAR ROUND prospect (and cost)....or that HEAT AND SUN can damage things quite fast...or that you don’t go TOO DEEP into the western Dade/Broward County or you might find this:

I can only imagine what life would be like in the TRUE TROPICS in the jungles of central Africa, the Amazon...etc. The margins of the tropics have all the benefits of the deep tropics...without all the vices it seems. Trust me.
That's the thing. Why do you think cities like Darwin are small compared to the rest of the capitals in Australia? Cairns and Townsville are dwarfed by Brisbane and the Gold/Sunshine Coasts. Geraldton and Carnavaron are small cities compared to Perth. Colombia's largest city, Bogotá, is located in the Andes highlands. Mexico's largest city and most of their population live in the highlands of that country, not in Veracruz, Tabasco, the Yucatán, or the coastal areas of the Pacific. In Puerto Rico, most of the tourist facilities and attractions are located in the cooler Atlantic coast of Puerto Rico, while the Caribbean coast is pretty desolate except for Ponce, which is nowhere near as big as San Juan

Everyone who grew up in the mid latitudes are susceptible to the honeymoon period when it comes to the heat. Eventually the honeymoon wears off and you start complaining about how hot it is all the time, how high your electric bill is having the A/C running 24/7. Another thing too, you won't expect it but after a few years, you WILL start to feel cold in the wintertime in the tropics. When you go to Puerto Rico in January, you can tell who's a local and who isn't. The tourists wear short sleeves and shorts, while the locals are wearing long pants and a jacket. What's the morning temperature in January? To people like deneb (and now, me), it is a nice, comfortable, warm 73-75 degrees that causes you to sweat if you do any brisk outdoor activity. To the local that's lived there for at least several years, 73 degrees is pretty cool and warrants a jacket.

Again, the honeymoon period eventually comes to an end, and during the very low low temps of 70-73 degrees mid morning, you will feel cold. We're not trying to insult you, we just want to share our experiences with you, and advise you that not everything is the way it seems when you're on vacation. To people on here that live with seasons, do you ever find that 10°C in the fall feels a bit cold, but 10°C in the spring time feels just right? The same applies to the tropics, but give it a few years. Hell, even ColdCanadian seems very satisfied with the climate of where he lives, and before he moved to the Perth area, you'd think he can only survive no further south than Darwin.

Old 11-08-2011, 08:15 AM

1,239 posts, read 2,796,028 times
Quote:
One word: hurricanes.

( This is why I far, far prefer south American east coast subtropical to the American and Carribean version... )

Old 11-08-2011, 09:47 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,707,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
That's the thing. Why do you think cities like Darwin are small compared to the rest of the capitals in Australia? Cairns and Townsville are dwarfed by Brisbane and the Gold/Sunshine Coasts. Geraldton and Carnavaron are small cities compared to Perth. Colombia's largest city, Bogotá, is located in the Andes highlands. Mexico's largest city and most of their population live in the highlands of that country, not in Veracruz, Tabasco, the Yucatán, or the coastal areas of the Pacific. In Puerto Rico, most of the tourist facilities and attractions are located in the cooler Atlantic coast of Puerto Rico, while the Caribbean coast is pretty desolate except for Ponce, which is nowhere near as big as San Juan

Everyone who grew up in the mid latitudes are susceptible to the honeymoon period when it comes to the heat. Eventually the honeymoon wears off and you start complaining about how hot it is all the time, how high your electric bill is having the A/C running 24/7. Another thing too, you won't expect it but after a few years, you WILL start to feel cold in the wintertime in the tropics. When you go to Puerto Rico in January, you can tell who's a local and who isn't. The tourists wear short sleeves and shorts, while the locals are wearing long pants and a jacket. What's the morning temperature in January? To people like deneb (and now, me), it is a nice, comfortable, warm 73-75 degrees that causes you to sweat if you do any brisk outdoor activity. To the local that's lived there for at least several years, 73 degrees is pretty cool and warrants a jacket.

Again, the honeymoon period eventually comes to an end, and during the very low low temps of 70-73 degrees mid morning, you will feel cold. We're not trying to insult you, we just want to share our experiences with you, and advise you that not everything is the way it seems when you're on vacation. To people on here that live with seasons, do you ever find that 10°C in the fall feels a bit cold, but 10°C in the spring time feels just right? The same applies to the tropics, but give it a few years. Hell, even ColdCanadian seems very satisfied with the climate of where he lives, and before he moved to the Perth area, you'd think he can only survive no further south than Darwin.
I see your point and the heat might get to me after a while but I'd rather live in a place where I can escape the heat than escape the cold. If I want cool/cold weather I can always hop on a plane and visit relatives in Canada or head up into the mountains if there are any nearby.
As far as the bug and pest problem, I had to deal with this in Southern China when I lived there most of the year. I remember my apartment had huge cockroaches and ants fairly often. I would either kill them or in the case of cockroaches bring them outside (as you know they're much harder to kill). Also, many times I would see small snakes slither across a concrete path but I just avoided them and never walked off paved areas.
As far as mold, I have to deal with this here in Vancouver because of the constant damp weather. Granted in the wet tropics the mold will happen much faster due to the much higher temperatures but at least I know how to handle it.
I honestly feel cold much of the year here no matter what the season so 10°C feels cold to me no matter what. I'm sure my threshold for what I find cold and warm would change in the tropics but even if I start to find 20°C a bit chilly, I most likely will only have to wear a light jacket with of course guarantee of no snowfall ever which is great.
There are actually many large cities (millions of people) in the deep tropics such as Singapore, Jakarta, Guayaquil, Manaus, Belem, Fortaleza, Natal, Kinshasa, Abidjan, Lagos, Mogadishu and several others... The inhabitants of these cities can't all be suffering..

Old 11-08-2011, 10:01 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,224,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post

Excellent points. People often associate the tropics with vacation, but living and working in them is a different reality. I always here stories of people moving to Florida, only to come back with a new appreciation of more northern climates. Of course factors determining quality of life go beyond climate, but it does play a big role.

I personally would rather scrape ice and snow off my car all winter rather than deal with snakes, cockroaches, and alligators. And nothing beats a breath of cold, fresh air.

Old 11-08-2011, 10:04 AM

Quote:
I see your point and the heat might get to me after a while but I'd rather live in a place where I can escape the heat than escape the cold. If I want cool/cold weather I can always hop on a plane and visit relatives in Canada or head up into the mountains if there are any nearby.
As far as the bug and pest problem, I had to deal with this in Southern China when I lived there most of the year. I remember my apartment had huge cockroaches and ants fairly often. I would either kill them or in the case of cockroaches bring them outside (as you know they're much harder to kill). Also, many times I would see small snakes slither across a concrete path but I just avoided them and never walked off paved areas.
As far as mold, I have to deal with this here in Vancouver because of the constant damp weather. Granted in the wet tropics the mold will happen much faster due to the much higher temperatures but at least I know how to handle it.
I honestly feel cold much of the year here no matter what the season so 10°C feels cold to me no matter what. I'm sure my threshold for what I find cold and warm would change in the tropics but even if I start to find 20°C a bit chilly, I most likely will only have to wear a light jacket with of course guarantee of no snowfall ever which is great.
There are actually many large cities (millions of people) in the deep tropics such as Singapore, Jakarta, Guayaquil, Manaus, Belem, Fortaleza, Natal, Kinshasa, Abidjan, Lagos, Mogadishu and several others... The inhabitants of these cities can't all be suffering..
To your climate preferences, I think you need to live as close to the equator as humanly possible. The closer to 0°, the better. If there's more than a 4°C difference, especially during the night time, between summer and winter, you will feel cold after a while in the winter time and that won't do your psyche any good, especially considering your preferences. I think the last thing you want is to wear a coat or jacket when it's 22°C outside. In these locations, first you "go troppo" as the Aussies call it, then the winter "cold" starts to settle in and you feel chilly. The key here is, as little seasonal variability as possible. Singapore is your best bet, me thinks

Old 11-08-2011, 11:22 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,365,383 times
Quote:

True, but what you’re forgetting, is that over time, if you lived in the deep equatorial tropics, you would seek to escape the sultry, high dew point weather more often than you realize. The comment above by Ilovemy computer90 is very true; I know several people who live in south Florida (and again think of the differences between the annual climate of the Amazon and southern Florida), and some (not all mind you) actually get HOT SEASON SADS. That’s right, as soon as the hot and wet season arrive in Florida in mid May, the prospect of 5 months of non-stop high temps (88 - 92 F EVERYDAY for 5 months), high humidity, tropical downpours, …etc is enough to trigger this type of seasonal SADS. Again, this is not to say everyone is like this - as I myself do not mind humidity and high temps, but you need to spend a few years in this type of climate, and live a real life (not a student, or on vacation…etc) to see if you can really handle it. I don’t know how long you lived in Southern China – but as we have seen when we look at the climate numbers, stations like Hong Kong are among the coolest tropical/subtropical climates on earth – they are nothing compared to the deep equatorial tropics.

As far as snakes, most deep tropical places have them – and their often big, not small (lol). The same for ants/bugs/roaches/…etc. In the tropics many buildings have all kinds of things living in them (lol), people in deep south Florida sometimes find poisonous snakes that have been living in their crawl spaces for years. There is a joke in Florida you never move anything that has been in your garage for a long time into your house – without taking into the middle of your driveway and opening it up first (lol). You need to keep every hole and opening plugged up or eventually something gets into the house...and this is at 25 north in a tropical savannah type climate without deep rainforest - think of what you'd find crawling around in a deep rainforst on/near the equator (lol). This is the reason why you might not like living in an area with dense jungle in the tropics as much as you think.

True, there are many cities in the deep tropics, but life is not always as nice as many people think it is in these cities. Also, a location like Mogadishu is a near arid tropical location – nothing like Manaus, the Congo, Singapore…etc where, deep humidity, high dew points, and 8 to 10 months of rain prevail. Again, I’m a warm weather fan for sure, but you can avoid some of the pitfalls of life in the deep tropics...by just gaining a little latitude.

Old 11-08-2011, 12:00 PM

1,239 posts, read 2,796,028 times
Quote:
I’m a warm weather fan for sure, but you can avoid some of the pitfalls of life in the deep tropics...by just gaining a little latitude.
Or altitude. Some of my favorite tropical climates are ones high enough to have a distinct evening cooling trend but not high enough to experience a subtropical highland climate. I'm thinking climates like Kampala:

Kampala - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's almost on the equator, but it's tropical light. Brasilia and Caracas are great too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather