Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 06:20 PM

3,341 posts, read 5,563,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313 TUxedo View Post
Fascinating!

I wonder if this is the northernmost point (43°N) where high temperatures exceed 100°F any time of year)?
Do you mean on average or at all? Fort Yukon, Alaska (66N) has seen 100F and Portland, Oregon (45N) sees high temps exceeding 100F pretty commonly.

Turpan has such an interesting climate and geography though. I wonder what it'd be like 20 degrees farther north and south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2012, 04:28 AM

152 posts, read 226,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candle View Post
I think there would be precipitation but it would be generated by the high pressure, like a heavy drizzle/mist.

If temperatures were freezing then I guess it would take the form of ice fog and very fine ice crystals.
Sounds like conditions to develop an inversion - the valley would be shrouded in fog so the sun wouldn't be able to reach the surface there and warm the air so temperature would decrease when going down. Does this happen in the real places?

There can be fog in Death Valley, although it looks like it's a rare event, not the type of weather that's normal there in winter.

Both at about 43N, Turpan (elevation 30 m; that is 180 m above the bottom of the Turpan Depression) is some 800 m lower than Urumqi. As you can see from the tables, Turpan's January mean is about 5C warmer and its July mean 8C warmer than Urumqi's. The diurnal range is about 2C greater in Turpan than in Urumqi, year round. Turpan is also sunnier than Urumqi, especially in winter it has over a half more sunshine hours more. This doesn't look like Turpan gets inversions in winter. Average humidity in Turpan's winter is not really low (66%) but that's not very high either.

Maybe my idea that these places would develop an inversion with the sun angle being low enough is wrong, I don't know. Maybe 43 is still a latitude that's not high enough. From what I've found it looks like it's indeed true that fall/winter inversions become more common with increasing latitude and that they're common in places like Fairbanks in Alaska, or Oymyakon in Siberia.

Remember what was the weather in Central Europe the November a year ago? A high was sitting over Central Europe the whole month so it didn't rain at all in many places. This led to inversions and foggy weather (and severe smog situation in cities) - the low elevations were cold and shrouded in fog under the inversion while in high elevations it was sunny. This is a satellite image from November 18, 2011:

Temperature inversion over Germany in November 2011 | Meteo-Blog.Net

Note how the Po valley (latitude 45N) is under the clouds too. I wonder what were the conditions that caused these inversions - I assume it must have been because the higher layers of the air were too warm. It's definitely possible to have clear winter days even in low elevations when a high comes so inversion is only possible in these situations, not inevitable, there must be other factors driving it than just the combination of high pressure + low sun angle.

Old 05-18-2016, 03:32 PM

2,850 posts, read 1,973,787 times
If we assume climates in low latitudes are warmer at low elevation and those at high latitudes are cooler, where would the transition be?

Old 05-18-2016, 04:45 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,630,065 times
There are "sinks" in the intermountain west that are polar in winter compared to places outside of them that are actually higher. One of the sinks in Utah, forget the name of it, is actually the coldest place in the United States in the winter, just nobody lives in most of them. Probably the most apt comparison is Park City and Salt Lake City in Utah, very close as crow flies and about 3,000ft elevation difference. In winter, they have very similar temps, the difference comes in the high sun months when the winter inversion is broken

Old 05-19-2016, 06:42 PM

5,700 posts, read 4,940,957 times
The biggest city that is below sea level is probably Baku, pop: 2,122,300, Elev: -28 m (-92 ft)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baku#Climate

Another big city is Astrakhan, pop: 520,339, Elev: -28 m (-92 ft)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astrakhan#Climate

And here is a city ~300km west of Astrakhan
Elista, pop: 103,749, Elev: 197 m (647 ft)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elista#Climate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather