Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2014, 01:34 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,929,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
These are basically spa bath type water temps, stay in one for long enough and eventually you will get cool -so you have to keep moving, even with sauna like conditions outside.
It's impossible for the human body to cool off in water that is only a couple of degrees below normal body temperature. You need a much larger temperature difference. The human body is constantly generating heat, so you need water that is cold enough to take this heat away faster than it is produced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2014, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
So would it be 30c in Dubai?
More like 38-40 C water temp. in summer and 18-20 C in winter. So 30C during the transition seasons.

Old 01-17-2014, 03:30 PM

3,803 posts, read 3,000,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
More like 38-40 C water temp. in summer and 18-20 C in winter. So 30C during the transition seasons.
These sea surface temps have never been achieved, highest has been under 100F in both the Red Sea and Persian Gulf.
Weather Extremes : Record Dew Point Temperatures | Weather Underground

Old 01-17-2014, 03:43 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,884,802 times
Quote:
Oh my god!

Old 01-18-2014, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
These sea surface temps have never been achieved, highest has been under 100F in both the Red Sea and Persian Gulf.
Weather Extremes : Record Dew Point Temperatures | Weather Underground
I have lived for ten years in Kuwait and can tell you that those temperatures have not only been recorded but occur fairly regularly, especially around the UAE and Bahrain.
The temperature record you linked to is in deep, offshore waters, which rarely rise above 35 C. However, waters within a few km of the coast (which is where swimmers would go) are much warmer. In 1999, 150 tonnes of dead fish washed up on the beaches of Kuwait because of sea surface temps. well into the triple digits F in shallow water.

The warmest waters are around the UAE because there is no evaporative cooling effect from northwesterly winds off of Iraq.

Old 01-18-2014, 03:26 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,938,534 times
For me air temperature doesn't mean as much. I've been ok as low as 77F water temp but that was actually in October. Getting out of the water for a second felt really chilly so I'd get back in the water and it'd feel great. Around 82-84 is when I can get in and eventually it'll feel great. 86+ I can get in and feel great instantly. Warmest I've experienced was about 95 (this is all in a lake btw) and that was getting a little too warm. It was also upper 90s for air temperature. It was just too warm all around.

Old 01-19-2014, 08:59 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,437,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
For me air temperature doesn't mean as much. I've been ok as low as 77F water temp but that was actually in October. Getting out of the water for a second felt really chilly so I'd get back in the water and it'd feel great. Around 82-84 is when I can get in and eventually it'll feel great. 86+ I can get in and feel great instantly. Warmest I've experienced was about 95 (this is all in a lake btw) and that was getting a little too warm. It was also upper 90s for air temperature. It was just too warm all around.
Sorry, I had to chuckle. I doubt NJ's ocean water temperature goes above 77F much if at all, so mid-70s is about the best we can ask for and it's reasonably enjoyable. When it's 70 or lower, you have to take time to adjust to it; it'll feel brutally cold at first. Our ocean is basically a polar bear plunge for 10 (or as in the case of last year, 11 ) months. I know what you mean, though. When it's in the 80s, it just feels so much better to go into. I'd like to spend my summers living in a place by the ocean with ocean temps in the mid-80s. But then such a place wouldn't have the cold, snowy winters I'd prefer so I'd have to move around a bit to get everything I want...

Old 01-19-2014, 11:39 AM

5,621 posts, read 5,938,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
Sorry, I had to chuckle. I doubt NJ's ocean water temperature goes above 77F much if at all, so mid-70s is about the best we can ask for and it's reasonably enjoyable. When it's 70 or lower, you have to take time to adjust to it; it'll feel brutally cold at first. Our ocean is basically a polar bear plunge for 10 (or as in the case of last year, 11 ) months. I know what you mean, though. When it's in the 80s, it just feels so much better to go into. I'd like to spend my summers living in a place by the ocean with ocean temps in the mid-80s. But then such a place wouldn't have the cold, snowy winters I'd prefer so I'd have to move around a bit to get everything I want...
My dad has mentioned quite a few times how often he would be up north with family when he was younger and they would have no problem swimming with water temps in the 60s. He also said they would probably laugh at us for not getting in water cooler than 75!

Old 01-19-2014, 12:21 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,896,729 times
Quote:
I have lived for ten years in Kuwait and can tell you that those temperatures have not only been recorded but occur fairly regularly, especially around the UAE and Bahrain.
The temperature record you linked to is in deep, offshore waters, which rarely rise above 35 C. However, waters within a few km of the coast (which is where swimmers would go) are much warmer. In 1999, 150 tonnes of dead fish washed up on the beaches of Kuwait because of sea surface temps. well into the triple digits F in shallow water.

The warmest waters are around the UAE because there is no evaporative cooling effect from northwesterly winds off of Iraq.
Is it because it is shallow that the Persian Gulf gets so warm? The Red Sea has a similar climate surrounding it but tops out at 28C. Only difference I can see is the depth of the water is much greater in the Red Sea.

Old 02-23-2014, 01:20 AM

9 posts, read 101,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Woe is you, 27C water is so difficult to tolerate but you judge those who can't take unheated water?

So you judge anyone that can't take a freezing pool as a wimp but don't want anyone to judge you as a wimp because you can't take swimming in 27C water? Sorry, pot meet kettle. 27C water isn't even that warm...
When I am unable to swim AT ALL because pools are heated to cater ONLY for those that want to swim in baths, YES, I will call them wimps. Before, pools were overheated, I really didn't care either way. Swimming fast (that is doing REAL exercise) in water over 30C is unhealthy, as the water is too hot to dissipate the heat from the body, it stresses the heart and for anyone not 100% fit it could be dangerous. In an open water event someone died (plenty of news articles can be found online). I have a chronic condition that can affect my heart. Swimming is one of the best exercises I can do - or would do - if it wasn't for the wimps!
They should separate leisure and swimming pools and heat them accordingly, then let those who want baths have them. I don't want to deprive others, but why should I pay my taxes for a facility I can't use.
I might add our state has been labelled as one of the most OBESE in Australia (Article, Sunday Mail, Adelaide 23022014, P3). Sounds like the bath swimming isn't working very effectively.
Currently all our local indoor pools are heated between 30-32C in all seasons, even when the day temperature reaches 44C, which it did only a few weeks ago.
Frustrated swimmer

Last edited by Frustrated_01; 02-23-2014 at 01:56 AM.. Reason: Left something out
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather