Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 05:11 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,566,536 times

Advertisements

Oops, just realized I forgot to add ChesterNZ's name !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2012, 05:47 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,603,228 times
I'm a blank ....

Old 01-17-2012, 05:51 PM

5,576 posts, read 8,003,060 times
Great thread and great chart.

As for the "comparable seasonality" aspect, I believe the chart is somewhat misleading, as there is more variation in the winter scale than the summer scale, and thus the middle of the warm quadrant has less seasonality than the middle of the cold quadrant.

The distribution on the chart has some areas of interest, aside from those Dhdh already mentioned. The main axis of the weather spectrum seems to run from about where Dhdh is down to where myself and Kaul are, and that line doesn't reach the 0,0 point, but instead skews over to the mild quadrant. This does match what is seen in my daily life, with heat lovers on one end, cold lovers on the other end, and mild people in the middle. Of course there are some (and probably plenty of) real people that go to the extreme sector, but the axis seems to have a bit of a bias to it.

Of course if we can get more comments these findings can be refined further; and of course this isn't a statistical study, merely a means to gauge where we all stand.

Another curiosity is the cluster near the middle of the cold quadrant, leaning towards the cool summer side (dunno what to put here, ilovemycomputer90). Apparently cold lovers like to stick together .

There are also a few other outlying clusters that bear interest:

1. Myself and Kaul at the extreme cold end .
2. 2018 and Candle, on the hotter summers but still cold winters side
3. Dhdh/Kobber/Deneb78, on the moderately hot summer end and very warm winter end.
4. Tom77falcons/Joe90/sulkiercupid, on the moderate winter and slightly-hot summer portion

And what about my idea for a separate rainfall/sunshine scale? I might just do it on my own, with the scale being between 0 to 100 inches for rainfall, and between 1000 and 4000 hours of sun.

Old 01-17-2012, 05:54 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,603,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
I wonder if our preferences here on the forum are a good sample or representation of the "general public".
PS - if a sun/rainfall chart is coming later, my sunshine preference is 2800-3600 hours, with the ideal at about 3400. Rainfall range 50mm-600mm, ideal about 250mm (low frequency of rain events, and much of it better falling at night).

Old 01-17-2012, 06:25 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,208,808 times
Quote:
I wonder if our preferences here on the forum are a good sample or representation of the "general public".
Not even close! Not nearly enough people in the mild climates quadrant. We're a bunch of freaks, don'tcha know.

Old 01-17-2012, 07:23 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,533,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivalis View Post
Not even close! Not nearly enough people in the mild climates quadrant. We're a bunch of freaks, don'tcha know.

lol, thats true! Too many extreme lovers in this forum. A lot of people that love the less than zero farenheit temps and the one hundred farenehit in this forum! Im one of the few sanes one here.

Old 01-17-2012, 07:36 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,597,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
We tend to expect colder climates to have a higher seasonality, so maybe there's a way to correct for that? Might be too confusing...

Also, if people could give their actual warmest and coldest months, I could make a separate plot on how far apart each poster is from their ideals and see who of the regular posters live the furthest from their ideals.

So, who's the most miserable?
My actual is -1 for winter and -6 for summer, so summer is already perfect, but winter is far too mild and snowless.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:12 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,713,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
We tend to expect colder climates to have a higher seasonality, so maybe there's a way to correct for that? Might be too confusing...

Also, if people could give their actual warmest and coldest months, I could make a separate plot on how far apart each poster is from their ideals and see who of the regular posters live the furthest from their ideals.

So, who's the most miserable?
Well for my ideal I chose a +9 for winter (coldest month) and a +5 for summer (warmest month).
Where I live now it's a -1 for winter (coldest month) and a -5 for summer (warmest month)...

So the difference between both my ideal winter and summer and my current winter and summer is 10.

for ideal sunshine and precip... ideal sunshine is about 3000 hours and ideal precip is about 800mm with only about 1/5 of days being rain days on average throughout the year.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:19 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,938,123 times
Quote:
I can kind of see from this chart why this forum is especially divided by bickering between heat and cold-lovers.
Just based on living in the US, and how all you ever hear from people is that they can't wait to move to FL, AZ, CA, HI, "Down South", etc., I was pretty shocked to find there are so many cold lovers on this forum.

I still think, however, that among the general populace at large, warm is the hands down winner. I don't say that to insult, if you just look at growth in the US sunbelt it is very apparent. I think what people want are warm winters, not necessarily hot summers. Before AC, very few Americans were moving to the really hot, humid parts of the country.

Old 01-18-2012, 05:06 AM

497 posts, read 984,021 times
Winter +5
Summer +2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather