Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2012, 08:13 PM

5,576 posts, read 7,999,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanfel View Post
And they don't say the word "temperature", they just say the value in degrees Celsius. They omit to say that they are giving the wind chill value, and they omit it on purpose just for sensationalism. They do the same in the summer with the heat index. "Wow, 40 C this afternoon" they say, while the actual temp is maybe 35 C.
That has always been extremely annoying for me, passing off "feels like" values as if it were the actual temperature of the air. It's a perversion of science and truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2012, 09:41 PM

2,678 posts, read 5,068,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Not to rain on your parade, but this is being done, collecting, accumulating, and analyzing petabytes of weather data constantly.

It is a huge facility, located in Asheville, NC, known as the National Climatic Data Center.
They also collect all the historical data they can. I maintained the mainframes they used in the 80, and I remember the problems it caused on tape drives when they were trying to read truckloads of old reels of 5 channel mag tapes they obtained from other countries.

Samples today are also flawed for the integrity of the data collected is crap.
What good is a temperature reading taken in an asphalt parking lot?

This picture is of the official USHCN weather station, Atmospheric Science Dept. University of Arizona, Tucson.

How not to measure temperature part 24 | Watts Up With That?

TITO and GIGO are two common acronyms in IT. They stand for Trash In/Trash Out, and Garbage In/Garbage Out. If the raw data is crap, don't expect anything different in the results. There are many such examples, near the outside condensers of air-conditioning units,
LOL that's pretty shocking. You'd think the people tasked with setting up a weather station would know what they were doing?

Old 01-19-2012, 11:20 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,929,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaul View Post
Ok and your other myth about the South being the center of population growth is false. This is the population growth rate, taken from wikipedia

1 Arizona 2.1
2 Wyoming 2.1
3 Texas 2.0
4 Colorado 1.8
District of Columbia 1.6
5 Alaska 1.5

3 out of the 5 fastest growing states are cold-weather states, interesting....hm... That means the US population is moving in favor of cooler climates
Long term growth rates favor the sunbelt. Florida has grown 30 fold from 1900 to 2000, Alaska 11 fold. Florida grew 17.6% between 2000 and 2010, Alaska grew 13.6%. Imo, people moved to Florida because of climate, while people moved to Alaska for jobs. And also, you can get high growth rates for a state with a small population with a small number of people moving in. I think it is pretty impressive for a state the size of FL to maintain those kind of growth rates between 2000 and 2010. Alaska has 700,000 people while Florida has 18.8 million.

Old 01-20-2012, 12:33 AM

914 posts, read 2,104,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Long term growth rates favor the sunbelt. Florida has grown 30 fold from 1900 to 2000, Alaska 11 fold. Florida grew 17.6% between 2000 and 2010, Alaska grew 13.6%. Imo, people moved to Florida because of climate, while people moved to Alaska for jobs. And also, you can get high growth rates for a state with a small population with a small number of people moving in. I think it is pretty impressive for a state the size of FL to maintain those kind of growth rates between 2000 and 2010. Alaska has 700,000 people while Florida has 18.8 million.
I am not sure where you come up with those figures, considering the growth rate given for Florida is only 0.7%, and it is in the near bottom of the list.
List of U.S. states by population growth rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Economically, Alaska has been doing better than Florida in this recession, so the influx of those coming for jobs definitely plays a part in the population increase. But why would anyone move to the remote, frozen Alaska for jobs if they can't stand the climate. Alaska doesn't resonate in people's mind like the northern states do. If a cold hater tells me that he would rather pack up and move to Alaska out of all the places, specifically, for a job that he couldn't find anywhere else in the country, I would think the person is a nut job. Moving to Alaska is a bold move, not like moving from Texas to Michigan or from NY to California. The people who move to Alaska are first and foremost attracted by the climate and the natural beauty that it offers. Working a job for survival is obviously the second thing that comes to mind when thinking of a relocation move. Unless you want to work in the coal mines or shoveling snow in Valdez for $15/hour, there are no jobs in Alaska that you can't find elsewhere in the lower 48 states.

-Moving to Florida for climate? Hardly. As a frequent forum member, I am sure that you have not seen anyone here mentioned Florida as their dream climate, or as a possible location for ideal weather. However, coastal Alaska comes up quite a lot, mingled among other cold weather locations. A survey of this forum's polls should give you an accurate picture of the migration trend: to the north, to the west, and away from the south....

Last edited by Kaul; 01-20-2012 at 12:42 AM..

Old 01-20-2012, 01:39 AM

5,874 posts, read 10,528,943 times
Lets not insult eachother, please, we are all friendly here, come on Kaul!

Old 01-20-2012, 03:15 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,562,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaul View Post
I never said that EVERYONE is moving to Alaska, you obviously have extremely poor analytical skills. I heard that tropical heat fries the brain and can impair your ability to exercise intelligence, you must be a real life example of that.
It is called "sarcasm." I am just tired at your endless attempts at proving to the world that subarctic regions are the world's paradise, that "most of the world's population" loves a cool climate, that people are running away from the south because they don't have enough money to pay their AC, and so on. What's the matter with you? Can't you just say that you hate heat and admit that not everyone in the world shares your taste?

And FYI the 2 countries with highest average IQ are Hong Kong and Singapore, so much for tropical heat frying the brain.

Old 01-20-2012, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdh View Post
And FYI the 2 countries with highest average IQ are Hong Kong and Singapore, so much for tropical heat frying the brain.
That's true. However, on the latest PISA tests, Finland actually ranks highest overall, being in the top three of every category, more than Hong Kong or Singapore can boast of (Finland's score is more even). So much for arctic cold turning the brain into a popsicle (of course in truth education doesn't have much to do with climate, more economics and other factors).

Quote:
What's the matter with you? Can't you just say that you hate heat and admit that not everyone in the world shares your taste?
Yes, he should follow our examples, but I'm refreshed by his vitriol against the heat lovers. It's a change from the usual pattern.

Quote:
You are right, everyone's dream is to move to Alaska How can you be so delusional?
Ah, one can wish, but it's simply not true.

Quote:
Can't you just be like any other cold lover on this forum, like Patricius Maximus, who's not spending a considerable energy trying to prove to the world that warm climates are doomed and that the whole world population's dream is to end up in Nunavut?
Those intolerant attitudes are pretty stupid, but funnily enough, warm climates are "doomed", because we are presently in an interglacial period which will end sometime in the next 50 000 years, putting us into a new 100 000 year glacial, in which New York will be under an ice cap, the climate of Kentucky would make the North Slope seem tame, and the Gulf Coast becomes similar to Wisconsin. There is also a long-term cooling trend on this planet, operating for the last 3 million years or so. So time's on my side .

Of course this has nothing to do with preferences or anyone liking warm weather. Popularity does not judge rightness of preferences. Just some interesting facts.

Old 01-20-2012, 09:16 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
This was an interesting thread; let's keep this from turning into another cold vs hot climate preferences war. There are numerous threads on that, let's not have it spill into this thread.

Old 01-20-2012, 12:41 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,599,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
This was an interesting thread; let's keep this from turning into another cold vs hot climate preferences war. There are numerous threads on that, let's not have it spill into this thread.
Hear hear! One thing I'm absolutely sick of on this forum is the endless temperature arguments! It's not the most important factor to all of us ....

Old 01-20-2012, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
Clearly you're afflicted with a persecution complex.
Yeah, sure I'm afflicted with a complex. It's called the truth . At least in North America, media bias against winter weather people is rampant and severe, and it's getting worse; however, I've told you all this before. And also it is true that there is more vitriol coming from heat lovers against cold lovers than the other way around (although it exists on both sides). Being in a culturally unfavored position makes one more likely to be respectful of others.

But neither one of us is guilty of any of this, so let's drop it, and let my position and your position stand; there are other threads for this sort of talk.

This is the new version of my sunshine and rainfall chart. There may be a few errors here as the new rainfall figures are an approximation based on the previous chart. If there are any discrepancies post a reply.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather