Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Rate this climate:
A 7 14.89%
B 24 51.06%
C 10 21.28%
D 5 10.64%
F 1 2.13%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 01:45 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,811,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candle View Post
I know someone in Sydney who complains of vitamin D deficiency because of the sunless winters.
I would want vitamin D supplements in winter here if I'm unable to get 2 hours of sun per week in the middle of the day.

Winter sun here is extremely mild compared with the rest of the year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2012, 01:59 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,811,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdh View Post
+
Summer highs are decent
Sunshine is really good

-
Cold winter lows
Cool winter days
Cool summer lows
Horrific record lows especially in summer
No dry season

Rating : C

By the way, Wikipedia describes Canberra's climate as continental, which is incredibly ignorant. I'm going to correct that now.

Edit : the article is protected and I just created an account (I need 4 days and 10 edits to edit protected pages - usually I edit without account) Anyone wanna do it ?
D+ when I compare it to the rest of Australia.
There are few Australian climates I would prefer Canberra to.
Some of our coldest winters plus coldest nighttime temperatures year-round.

C by World standards:
Fabulously-mild winters, not far from Mediterranean climates
Afternoon highs year-round are pretty good, especially in summer.
Neither too wet nor a desert with no distinct wet or dry season.
Loses points due to cold nightime lows, especially summer record lows.

A-/B+ by Canadian standards:
Perfection, but loses points because it makes Toronto summer lows look tropical.

Old 12-09-2012, 02:01 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,384,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarbles View Post
Doesn't seem THAT dry to me. Canberra has more precipitation than London. Granted, Canberra is somewhat warmer and much sunnier which I'm sure causes things to dry out faster there. But still, 2-2.5 inches of precipitation in most of the warm months isn't that bad.

Also, those winters may seem harsh for an Australian but they are still rather mild.
I hate when people say stuff like that. Canberra has a high evaporation rate so this makes it drier than london.

Old 12-09-2012, 03:00 PM

13,486 posts, read 9,030,344 times
C.

Nice warm summers, but winters are a little cool for my liking, infact the winter average minimums are colder than here! Though the daytime averages are higher...

Old 12-09-2012, 03:40 PM

2,745 posts, read 6,465,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
I hate when people say stuff like that. Canberra has a high evaporation rate so this makes it drier than london.
Read the sentence that starts with "Granted".

I was just pointing out that Canberra isn't some sort of desert. If you don't like London as a comparison, Canberra's precipitation is broadly similar in total to many Mediterranean climates like Barcelona (albeit with a different pattern), and many locations in central Balkans.

Old 12-09-2012, 04:06 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,530,547 times
Its not bad at all!
Love summer lows, sun distribution and winter temps (would preffer colder temps though)!
Dont like summer highs, but this is not big deal considering the lows. Yeah, you might get some 30c and above days, but then you will get plenty of 12, 13 and 14 celsius nights (wich is ideal, imo, for summer) so the feeling wouldnt be that bad. Comparing it with the absolute lows of 21c, and the 25c-30c summer nights we have, this certainly looks like a paradise.

And agree with whoever said this looks way more oceanic than continental. It actually kinda resemblance Mar del Plata, the oceanic city i was born in, but with much more sunshine.

I rate it with a B.

Old 03-24-2015, 08:05 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,960,282 times
C-

Sunshine hours are concordant. Summer lows are pleasant (after a hot day). But winters are just too cool, especially the nights. I do like how they get some snow there.

Old 03-24-2015, 08:18 PM

824 posts, read 688,983 times
B-, it's too warm in the summer, but is otherwise quite good.

Old 03-24-2015, 08:23 PM

680 posts, read 649,356 times
B+

The summers are a bit hot but that's okay since it's a dry heat and cool evenings accompany those temperatures. The winters look fantastic, and I like how sunny it is overall. This is one of the better climates in Australia, vastly superior to Brisbane and Perth(place on the edge of the Earth).

Old 03-24-2015, 09:31 PM

5,984 posts, read 3,459,091 times
C

It's one of the best Aussie climates. The winters are too warm, but I really like how nighttime temps below 5C are possible even during the summer. That doesn't even happen here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather