Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 02:11 PM

5,984 posts, read 3,461,627 times

Advertisements

People tend to associate NYC with winter and snow.

I couldn't imagine why: our winters are pretty warm and mild, especially when compared to upstate NY.

It's the nasty, humid summers that are really prevalent here, imo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2015, 02:16 PM

9,264 posts, read 7,414,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalop View Post
People tend to associate NYC with winter and snow.

I couldn't imagine why: our winters are pretty warm and mild, especially when compared to upstate NY.

It's the nasty, humid summers that are really prevalent here, imo.
Probably compared to other parts of the state, Maine and New England, but really I wouldn't call NYC winters mild. There is plenty of snowfall there each winter and you can count on some brutal cold making an appearance at least once each winter.

Over in the UK, I am pretty sure that most of us associate NYC with winter and snow. Of course we also know that your summers are quite warm, but the winter association appears to be more common

Old 07-06-2015, 02:17 PM

2,257 posts, read 1,992,489 times
Ioannina is associated with rain, fog and cold so with autumn or winter. The mountainous region of Ioannina and its villages are snowy in winter. And very beautiful landscapes. Serres is not snowy or rainy. It is just chilly and cold in winter with drizzle sometimes or heavy fog and hot at summer. We reach the highest temperatures in summer in North Greece.

Old 07-06-2015, 04:48 PM

7,501 posts, read 6,297,725 times
For southern italians, Bologna is considered as a cold and grey place, even though our summers are just as hot.

Otherwise it is considered humid, just like the rest of the po valley.

Most of my friends in France think it is mild and sunny with hot summers, because they associate all of Italy with mediterranean climate.

Conversely, most Italians I know believe I'm immune to the cold because I'm from France (well, actually only about 100 km north of here) and think it's 15c until june and we have super cold winters with mostly rain and bad weather.

Old 07-06-2015, 05:11 PM

2,257 posts, read 1,992,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
For southern italians, Bologna is considered as a cold and grey place, even though our summers are just as hot.

Otherwise it is considered humid, just like the rest of the po valley.

Most of my friends in France think it is mild and sunny with hot summers, because they associate all of Italy with mediterranean climate.

Conversely, most Italians I know believe I'm immune to the cold because I'm from France (well, actually only about 100 km north of here) and think it's 15c until june and we have super cold winters with mostly rain and bad weather.
Hahahaha I laughed at the first sentence because the same happens here. Southern Greeks say that we here in the north country have "arctic" winters with much snow and they say to me many times how I bear winters.

Old 07-07-2015, 07:45 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,606,248 times
I think most people associate London with November.

Cloudy, hours of light to moderate rain, temps always in the 50s, and leaves falling from the trees.

Last edited by B87; 07-07-2015 at 08:04 AM..

Old 07-07-2015, 07:51 AM

4,658 posts, read 3,660,811 times
Due to the wildfire haze (even our haze affect malaysia and singapore) in the recent (elnino) years so riau province = haze/smog

Old 07-07-2015, 08:33 AM

16,191 posts, read 11,374,279 times
I think people associate Miami with our "dry season" (from about late October through early May) but I think people associate Miami more with our weather in April. Dry, sunny and in the 80s. What a lot of people would consider "ideal" beach weather.....and what I consider hell.

Old 07-07-2015, 08:35 AM

7,033 posts, read 4,958,943 times
All of them in one day.

Old 07-07-2015, 09:37 AM

1,373 posts, read 1,444,416 times
When I tell that I'm from Val Susa, a lot of people immediately think about the snow resorts in the higher part of the Valley. This is even more evident after the 2006 winter Olympic games, because a lot of the ski pistes used during the event are in our Valley. --> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Via_Lattea
So the most of people associate my place with winter and snow. I live at a much lower elevation, so it is not so cold here, but sometimes it seems that the people think that my valley starts at an elevation of 1500 m

Even for Turin, at least in the italian contest, the stereotype sees it as a really foggy and cold city, in practice as an Italian version of Coketown from the Dickens novel. So even Turin is more likely associate with winter.
A lot of people tend to associate Turin with this weather --> http://www.torinoinsolita.it/public/...g2/1_0_142.jpg
It is quite ironic, considering that (in particular in the last few years) foggy days like that are quite rare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather