Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 07:13 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,713,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
Is Buenos Aires the only place in where people in summer actually WONT get out to enjoy?? I mean, January (hottest month) in this megalopolis is a DESERT (everyone escapes to colder places and, the ones who stay, locked themselves in refrigerated houses), while in July (coldest month) is full of people as always.
I'm sure in places like Phoenix or Riyadh... most people stay inside during the summer especially during daylight hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2012, 07:47 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,566,536 times
I have a bad feeling about this thread which is full of subjectivity, as everyone tends to depict observations obviously based on their own weather preferences and attitudes.

As a heat lover myself I shall point out that Nice sees its peak season during summer, though this is hardly interpretation but rather a known fact on the Riviera. Our streets, restaurants and beaches are virtually empty in winter and overcrowded in summer, both by locals and tourists from all over Europe.

Old 05-19-2012, 07:52 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,566,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
Plus I've noticed that the vermin, human and otherwise, come out when it's hot.
I'm afraid your unwillingness to disclose where you live and to further explain your point both make that kind of statement irrelevant in addition to hurting your credibility. I appreciate your moderation and usual objectivity; please keep it that way and don't start writing like Kaul.

Old 05-19-2012, 08:52 PM

1,155 posts, read 1,954,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdh View Post
I'm afraid your unwillingness to disclose where you live and to further explain your point both make that kind of statement irrelevant in addition to hurting your credibility. I appreciate your moderation and usual objectivity; please keep it that way and don't start writing like Kaul.
I don't get why people refuse to put their city in their profile, then go on posting about the weather at their mythical abode.

I posed this question on another thread recently, and one member came up with this gem of a reason: "for safety reasons....I'm going on vacation... I'm not going to point you to where I live". That is just ridiculous, how is anyone from an anonymous forum going to track you down to your pinpoint house number and street in a sea of hundreds to millions of addresses (depending on the size of your town), find out your real name and know your details etc armed with nothing but the name of a town. Yet, I'm sure the same people that come up with this think nothing of giving their credit card number to websites to purchase their bloody snuggies or whatever.

Old 05-19-2012, 09:44 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,691,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight Simmer View Post
I don't get why people refuse to put their city in their profile, then go on posting about the weather at their mythical abode.

I posed this question on another thread recently, and one member came up with this gem of a reason: "for safety reasons....I'm going on vacation... I'm not going to point you to where I live". That is just ridiculous, how is anyone from an anonymous forum going to track you down to your pinpoint house number and street in a sea of hundreds to millions of addresses (depending on the size of your town), find out your real name and know your details etc armed with nothing but the name of a town. Yet, I'm sure the same people that come up with this think nothing of giving their credit card number to websites to purchase their bloody snuggies or whatever.
You've just given me a great idea for a movie script -The Weather Forum Killer, hold on......, Criminal Minds might have already done it.

Old 05-20-2012, 04:31 AM

5,576 posts, read 8,003,060 times
Quote:
I'm afraid your unwillingness to disclose where you live and to further explain your point both make that kind of statement irrelevant in addition to hurting your credibility.
My observation is just as credible as anyone else that has replied. The fact that my location is vague rather than specific doesn't affect the veracity of that assertion; it's not as if you can go on Google and verify town-by-town statistics of any of the others that posted.

Quote:
I appreciate your moderation and usual objectivity; please keep it that way and don't start writing like Kaul.
I had no idea that I could ever be known for moderation, since I have one of the most extreme tastes on this forum. The subjectivity principle is something I've been pushing all along (the objectivity you referred to, confusing as that may be). However, the crux of my statement is that the ordinary vermin, such as bugs, breed faster and are more active in heat and humidity, plus what I consider the riff-raff and vermin among humans also come out when it's hot and humid. The noise generated by lawnmowers, weed-eaters, parties, music, and loud vehicles coming through my window when it's hot is evidence enough of that. I loathe these types, and it is a secondary reason why I prefer cold weather and abhor heat. The cold keeps them (and the bugs) inside a lot more and culls their annoying activities. Also, I like to have the whole outdoors to myself when I go outside, and having less people outside is more conducive to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight Simmer View Post
I did not post anything confusing. I simply made a statement relating to whenever it does get hot in the places I've experienced. It's not like I posted something like "It's so hot here. When do you guys think my town will cool down?" without posting my location. Something like that would get a even from me.

Quote:
I posed this question on another thread recently, and one member came up with this gem of a reason: "for safety reasons....I'm going on vacation... I'm not going to point you to where I live". That is just ridiculous, how is anyone from an anonymous forum going to track you down to your pinpoint house number and street in a sea of hundreds to millions of addresses (depending on the size of your town), find out your real name and know your details etc armed with nothing but the name of a town.
Although there is always the possibility of government-ISP collusion compromising my safety, I am not concerned about my safety being in danger from any quarter, especially on a weather forum. I have better reasons.

Quote:
Yet, I'm sure the same people that come up with this think nothing of giving their credit card number to websites to purchase their bloody snuggies or whatever.
Credit card numbers aren't publicly broadcasted like a location is here.

Quote:
I have a bad feeling about this thread which is full of subjectivity, as everyone tends to depict observations obviously based on their own weather preferences and attitudes.
This is all too true. However, in their favor I will point out that people usually are out more during their preferred season and thus may notice more people out in their favored season than the time when they stay inside more. This plus inherent biases account for the whole phenomenon.

Quote:
As a heat lover myself I shall point out that Nice sees its peak season during summer, though this is hardly interpretation but rather a known fact on the Riviera. Our streets, restaurants and beaches are virtually empty in winter and overcrowded in summer, both by locals and tourists from all over Europe.
That's true. For tourism and outdoor activities, summer is the peak time in all or at least most of France. The Parisian cafés see their peak season in summer (I think). From what I've heard the opposite is true in Florida where the cool season is the peak time for tourists, both taking advantages of the cooler and drier weather versus summertime and the winter-haters escaping from their least favorite weather.

As for myself I have noticed that worldwide there are two attractions to tourists and outdoor activities: warmth and snow. Dry and warm (70's F) attracts some and deep snow attracts others (look at all the ski resorts). Places that have both of these in a given year are usually brimming with outdoor activities year-round, such as the Upper Peninsula and Northern Minnesota.

Old 05-20-2012, 12:07 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,748,189 times
Quote:
My comment was simply based on the volume of people I see enjoying the outdoors, and comparing that to where I used to live which is really my only other point of reference. It's currently very overcast here and about 59F, and as I'm typing this quite a few people walked, ran, or biked past my apartment. If it were a sunny day, naturally even more would be out, but even throughout winter people get outside a lot here. Even on the worst weather days you'll see at least some people outside walking or biking, which is in stark contrast to my hometown where you may go several days without seeing a single person outside of a car, except for those walking from their cars into stores.

Old 05-20-2012, 02:04 PM

637 posts, read 1,027,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I live in SW Quebec near the border with eastern Ontario. Our climate is mostly about cold and snowy winters and warm/hot and sunny summers.

Overall, I would say that our relationship to the climate and the outdoors is similar to what you find across Canada, except maybe for Vancouver and Victoria in BC.

People's outdoor activities are broken down in this way:

"Shoulder seasons": early spring and late fall. Rainy and cool. Few people outside unless they really have to. The rare warmish sunny day will send some people outside to take advantage of it, but this is much more common in the early spring (since people are eager for good weather) than the late fall when people are used to being mostly indoors and tend to stay there.

Winter: lots of people outdoors doing stuff in the periods following a decent snowfall (low pressure system), which are usually followed by high pressure and bright sunny skies. People will generally be most numerous when it is just below freezing (between 0C and -10C), although you see crowds for winter activities up to -15C, especially if it is sunny and not too windy. If it is colder than that there are fewer people out.

Late spring: this is Spring Fever central. Late spring often features summerlike temperature and so people go a bit crazy after the long winter. Everywhere that is outdoors (both recreationally and socially) is full of people as soon as the weather permits it.

Summer to mid summer: same as late spring but with somewhat less fervour. Still lots of people doing stuff outside.

Late summer: I notice that the novelty of summer starts to wear a bit thin in mid-August. Not sure if it is because people are busy with back to school and other stuff or if they are a bit tired of the hot muggy weather (August is often like this.) But definitely there is a difference between June/July and August. In June and July, pools are always in use, my neighbours are all having dinner outdoors, whereas in August it is much quieter outside. There is still activity, but you can tell it is winding down.

Early fall: activities switch gears. Still quite a few people out until mid-October, mostly hiking (leaf-peeping), jogging, biking, etc. Not so much swimming and dining outdoors of course since nights are cool.
Acajack said basically what I was gonna say

I agree that by September most people start actually getting "tired" of summer and are actually looking forward to the fall.
Where I live fall sometimes lingers on longer than most
places in Canada, November is my personal fave month for hiking,
I'm lucky, the Bruce Trail (885 kms long from US border at Queenston to Tobermory)runs through northern Burlington,along the escarpment.

Canadians do tend to hibernate somewhat from about
December til April. Myself, I don't mind, no cutting grass, no
yardwork (other than snow shoveling).

I'm always amazed that some people, here in southern Ontario,
that bike all year. I personally don't like biking below about 15c (60f).

Old 05-20-2012, 02:24 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,713,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
My comment was simply based on the volume of people I see enjoying the outdoors, and comparing that to where I used to live which is really my only other point of reference. It's currently very overcast here and about 59F, and as I'm typing this quite a few people walked, ran, or biked past my apartment. If it were a sunny day, naturally even more would be out, but even throughout winter people get outside a lot here. Even on the worst weather days you'll see at least some people outside walking or biking, which is in stark contrast to my hometown where you may go several days without seeing a single person outside of a car, except for those walking from their cars into stores.
I think that also has a lot to do with the culture of the location as well as weather. The west coast.. (PNW and California) is well known to be one of the most active areas in the US and people are often trying to get outside even if it's pouring rain. The southeast US (including Tennessee I would presume) has one of the highest obesity rates in the the US. It could be a function of the weather but I think it has more to do with the mindset and culture. For heat haters, winter and late spring and fall would be ideal times to get outside to jog or do exercise but I bet this doesn't happen much in the SE USA even during these seasons because it's not ingrained in the culture. Anyway, that's my take. What do you think?

Old 05-20-2012, 02:32 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,340,608 times
Yes, warm weather that is.

I've never heard of someone going outside to enjoy the cold weather. My location (NYC/Long Island) is more warm-based with people itching to go to beach, pool, park, etc. There isn't really anything you can do during the 2-3 months of winter other than be cold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather