Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2015, 09:10 PM

97 posts, read 326,844 times

Advertisements

The period from the autumnal equinox until Dec. 31 is my favorite time of year. Naturally, I associate this time of year with cooler temperatures.

Autumn means sweaters, pumpkin-flavored everything, hayrides, bonfires, etc. Mornings in the high 40s, afternoons in the 70s or 60s.

December means cold, frosty mornings that gradually warm up to breezy, sunny days in the 50s. Bare trees, brown grass.

At least that's what I remember from growing up. (Speaking for my part of the world, naturally. Obviously, a person growing up in Key West will have a different experience, as would a person in Buffalo.)

I put up with the abysmal, never-ending, humid summers with the assumption that I'll get at least some cool/cold, dry air later in the year to make up for it.

Instead, we get:
  • Halloween: H 82, L 54. Trick-or-treaters were sweating!
  • The biggest joke of a fall foliage season I've observed in all the years I've been consciously observing foliage. There are trees which last year were absolutely stunning, that were pathetically dull in color this go-around.
  • Thanksgiving: H 75, L 53. We had to run the air conditioner.
  • Christmas forecast: H 79, L 56
Christmas looks like it will not only be above average, but will have a higher minimum than Halloween!

It truly hasn't felt like Christmas this year. I hate to say that, because I know Christmas is about so much more than the weather - and I try. But I've had to consciously remind myself that it's the season. I even know warm weather fans who are complaining about the lack of chill, it's gotten so bad!

Will things ever return to normal? The struggle is real...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2015, 10:25 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,963,772 times
You still got January and February. Anything can happen in those months. A cold arctic blast can be expected by then.

Old 12-24-2015, 11:07 AM

1,904 posts, read 1,046,091 times
You have been robbed.

Now, what are you gonna do about it?

Old 12-24-2015, 11:17 AM

30 posts, read 22,799 times
Winter is coming; it's just a little late. The GFS suggests that cold air will blanket the eastern half of the US as the new year settles in.

Old 12-24-2015, 11:35 AM

9,264 posts, read 7,412,128 times
I feel robbed as well...

robbed because the second half of our summer SUCKED

This is payback for the cool mess we had to deal with from mid July-October when we finally started return to average temps again, but by then it was already too late.

Old 12-24-2015, 11:50 AM

2,141 posts, read 1,388,390 times
Yep. And it's going to storm again where i live. On. Christmas. Day.

I love where i live, but there are times i hate this state.

Old 12-24-2015, 11:54 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,637,408 times
Bothers me? Not at all. This is North Carolina. If you don't like the weather just stick around and it will change!

Got a little tickled at the weather people yesterday. They first suggested grilling out for Christmas dinner than told us it would be thundering at about lunchtime. No thank you to that suggestion.

Old 12-24-2015, 01:09 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,458,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
I feel robbed as well...

robbed because the second half of our summer SUCKED
This.

I got more rain in 2 hours last night than the entire month of August.

Old 12-24-2015, 01:35 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,756,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classy Southerner View Post
The period from the autumnal equinox until Dec. 31 is my favorite time of year. Naturally, I associate this time of year with cooler temperatures.

Autumn means sweaters, pumpkin-flavored everything, hayrides, bonfires, etc. Mornings in the high 40s, afternoons in the 70s or 60s.

December means cold, frosty mornings that gradually warm up to breezy, sunny days in the 50s. Bare trees, brown grass.

At least that's what I remember from growing up. (Speaking for my part of the world, naturally. Obviously, a person growing up in Key West will have a different experience, as would a person in Buffalo.)

I put up with the abysmal, never-ending, humid summers with the assumption that I'll get at least some cool/cold, dry air later in the year to make up for it.

Instead, we get:
  • The biggest joke of a fall foliage season I've observed in all the years I've been consciously observing foliage. There are trees which last year were absolutely stunning, that were pathetically dull in color this go-around.
Christmas looks like it will not only be above average, but will have a higher minimum than Halloween!

It truly hasn't felt like Christmas this year. I hate to say that, because I know Christmas is about so much more than the weather - and I try. But I've had to consciously remind myself that it's the season. I even know warm weather fans who are complaining about the lack of chill, it's gotten so bad!

You're not the only one. I live in Athens, GA (GO DAWGS!), and I just had to turn on the ****ing air conditioner today! I'm just like you; October, November and December are my three favorite months of the year. That first chill in the air at sunset, high school football, bonfires, hay rides, Halloween, my birthday, college football, Thanksgiving, great food, time spent with friends and family, NFL football, Christmas, homes decorated with lights, and festivities to bring in the New Year are all fun times for me, and they're best enjoyed with temperatures that are mild to cold. I'm feeling robbed too.

Here in Athens, we've only had 19 days since October 1 with morning low temperatures below 40°F. You know how many we've had with morning temperatures at or below 32°F? Seven. I feel robbed too. Temperatures aren't expected to return to seasonal levels until around New Year's Eve, and shortly after that everybody will be putting away all their Christmas decorations, and the holiday season will be over. If cool weather is going to be this late, then I hope it stays through March to make up for lost time and get me prepared for another hot, humid summer ahead.

Since Monday, we've had about 5" of rain here, which is a lot. I actually enjoy steady, 24- to 48-hour cold rain events during the winter. What I don't enjoy, however, are thunderstorms and muggy nights. Those belong in May through September.

Old 12-25-2015, 05:46 PM

35,082 posts, read 17,033,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classy Southerner View Post

Instead, we get:

I feel your pain. In New York we had a record-breaking run of highs over 80, starting around July 11 and going about 60 days. Then November and December have had record or almost record-breaking warmth. I think October was as well but not as sure on stats.

Christmas Eve Day had a record of 72 and Christmas a record of 66.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather