Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2012, 01:15 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,589,687 times

Advertisements

Probably because above normal temperatures get a lot of media attention.. from what I can gather. So Cambium is probably annoyed that below average temperatures don't get as much coverage. Plus he prefers cooler weather, so has a bias of course, like everyone else. I rarely if ever see wavehunter talking about below average temperatures, but instead he prefers to focus on how warm Florida is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2012, 01:20 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,932,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Probably because above normal temperatures get a lot of media attention.. from what I can gather. So Cambium is probably annoyed that below average temperatures don't get as much coverage. Plus he prefers cooler weather, so has a bias of course, like everyone else.
I def have a bias for warm weather. I think cold gets a load of attention where I live during the winter season.

Old 11-15-2012, 01:27 PM

83,523 posts, read 75,333,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
How come you never post about places in the US that are running above normal?

How come you never read all my unbias posts?? Go to the "summer" thread. http://www.city-data.com/forum/25576574-post1299.html

It's more about the denial of some than 1 month of below normal. Funny how it trys to get avoided but yet talked about as if its nothing. Then showing 70 degrees as if it will change the winter temps they are having.

I for one wish we had 10-20 degrees below normal like the south is having. But I'm going to look into why the NorthEast is not as cold as the southeast. Thats interesting to me.

Old 11-15-2012, 01:41 PM

Hmmm...

NAEFS Keeps the southeast cold while the NorthEast warm. Interesting. Mid Atlantic stays normal which means 50s/30s.
This projection is 23rd to 30th.

Any questions? I have one... What is making the southeast colder than normal? I have to find this out.

NAEFS - Temperature Anomaly - Environment Canada

Old 11-15-2012, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darth serious View Post
Southeast US. Holy **** how come it's so cold there already
Yeah, it's not the normal thing to see lately in this warming world. Funny is that was posted on the 9th and its continuing to drop into the 20s and 30s there a lot. I think we're seeing signs of what winter will be like.. With the way things are going the cold will probably stay south the NorthEast. But lets see if the whole trend changes next month.

Here's HPC's discussion for those looking for a technical reason ..

THE PNA INDEX WHICH RECENTLY HAS BEEN NEGATIVE IS FORECAST TO REMAIN NEGATIVE THROUGH DAY 14.
THE AO INDEX WHICH RECENTLY HAS BEEN POSITIVE IS FORECAST TO BE NEAR ZERO BY DAY 7 AND REMAIN CLOSE TO ZERO THROUGH DAY 14.
TODAY'S BLEND CHART INDICATES NEAR TO BELOW NORMAL HEIGHTS OVER THE SOUTHEAST AND EXTREME NORTHWEST CONUS WHILE NEAR TO ABOVE NORMAL HEIGHTS ARE ANTICIPATED OVER THE REMAINDER OF THE CONUS AND ALASKA.

Old 11-15-2012, 02:14 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,932,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post

How come you never read all my unbias posts?? Go to the "summer" thread. http://www.city-data.com/forum/25576574-post1299.html

It's more about the denial of some than 1 month of below normal. Funny how it trys to get avoided but yet talked about as if its nothing. Then showing 70 degrees as if it will change the winter temps they are having.

I for one wish we had 10-20 degrees below normal like the south is having. But I'm going to look into why the NorthEast is not as cold as the southeast. Thats interesting to me.

I think you need to clarify that the daily averages are not running anywhere that far below normal, at least not in Jackson, MS nor Vicksburg. The nightly lows, due to radiational cooling, are running further below normal than the daily high temps.

Normal high/low for Jackson, MS is 68/44f, yesterday. This coming weekend around 67/43. The forecast isn't anywhere near 20f below normal. By Monday, their temps will be above normal. If anything, the temps have ranged from 0 to 11f below normal, on the daily average temp, not 10-20f.

Vicksburg, MS, seems to run much cooler at night than a lot of other places nearby. Even Vicksburg hasn't been near 20f below normal. The low temps there, due to radiational cooling run further below normal than the high temps. But the daily average isn't running 20f below normal.

I wish Philly had this forecast coming up. Here everyone would be out and about talking about how warm.

Old 11-15-2012, 03:50 PM

5,576 posts, read 8,000,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
I def have a bias for warm weather. I think cold gets a load of attention where I live during the winter season.
In the Mid-Atlantic the cold seems to be media hype for the most part. Once anything below freezing is classified as "bitterly cold", that's a sure sign that there's media hype going on (or bias or just plain ignorance). I'm not a resident of the Mid-Atlantic, but to me it seems that snow gets the bulk of the attention where you live.

I for one have a bias towards cold weather. I like to see where the cold is and where the most snow is falling because that's what I'm interested in. I notice the warmth as well when I make a weather assessment or sniff out a trend, but I make no secret of the fact that cold and snow is what interests me. For that reason most of the current events I talk about involve cold, snow, or wind. To me it's boring to talk about how hot Florida is or how dry Texas is. It's far more interesting to see how much snow the ski resorts in Colorado and Montana received, or the peak wind gusts on Hurricane Ridge during a winter storm.

Old 11-15-2012, 03:54 PM

6,990 posts, read 11,418,823 times
Jackson MS has a lot of thunderstorms for November. In addition to the ones in summer. This is why it is basically the best climate on earth.

Old 11-15-2012, 04:08 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,881,321 times
No. It is a humid hairdryer.

Old 11-15-2012, 04:16 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,589,687 times
I would pick Jackson over San Francisco..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather