Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 07:10 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,589,687 times

Advertisements

This thread is invigorating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 07:12 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,365,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
There's me too. I'm happy the way things are. NOT looking forward to the season change at all. September is nice, but then things go downhill fast.

Solar daylight change (more length of day for m) is getting noticeable. As my aunt says, "sign winter is coming". Something she's not happy about at all. (Lives in Upstate NY)

I love September too. Here on the coast we joke that September is actually the start of the beach season – lol: The crowds head back to work and school, the folks who rent the cottages/beach houses head home, the Atlantic is the warmest it gets by early September, and the humidity/ temps are near perfect. I often go to the beach/hike more in September/early October, than in deep summer. Crowds are the biggest reason.

As far as real winter – yes it seems to start early in northern NY. They see a few cold snaps/light snow even in early October sometimes. Here on Long Island Sound in Connecticut, real winter like weather (for me at least) normally starts in late November. So I have a long way to go, thankfully.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:16 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,418,823 times
The leaves don't go red here. Goes from dull green to anemic yellow, usually with lovely slate grey skies as a background every day, and of course the drizzle. Before it all turns to dead spindly skeletal looking trees by November, and the first frosts with 15 hours of night time. Invigorating eh.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:19 AM

927 posts, read 1,948,134 times
Here in the Pacific Northwest, we are two days into what is projected to be the longest heat wave we have had in three years. At 6AM local time my thermometer already reads 65 degrees. Average is 50. Today thru Friday could have the highest temperatures of this short summer; and we have already seen 100 (37.8) degrees.

Fall appears to take it's own sweet time getting here and given we have had another abysmal spring and early summer, I am not complaining. I would be perfectly happy if this continued until the first or second week of September. That way we may actually get some of our warm weather fruits and veggies we didn't get since 2009 because our marginal climate wouldn't let us.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:26 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,589,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
The leaves don't go red here. Goes from dull green to anemic yellow, usually with lovely slate grey skies as a background every day, and of course the drizzle. Before it all turns to dead spindly skeletal looking trees by November, and the first frosts with 15 hours of night time. Invigorating eh.
Yes, it is invigorating, and I'll be enjoying every second of it.

Also, the leaves go red where I live, as well as a golden yellowy colour.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:35 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,881,321 times
Well the storm has arrived and it is rather windy and raining like hell odly it is still 66/19c which is really rare here. The wind is taking alot of twigs and leaves off the trees aswell so this will add to the early autumnal feel.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
Really? Well there are already a few trees here that have red leaves on them.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiromant View Post
In addition to yellowing trees, the sunlight and its angle have changed as well. The sun is 10° lower than on the summer solstice. It's a harsher, yellower light now, another sign of fall. I actually like that we have proper nights again, I enjoy darkness.
I noticed that the sun rose at 6:30 here today and I was out at 7 and the shadows where quite long compared to a few weeks ago. It will be the end of september when we really start to notice it.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:48 AM

83,522 posts, read 75,333,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
This thread is depressing.
lol. Poor nei. Hey, you had you're 18 straight months of above normal temps. Can you at least give us 12 months of below normal now? lol At least 1 month, gees.

We'll see... Upper level pattern doesnt change as quick as a surface storm. Sometimes takes a few weeks, sometimes months. Like the Ridge out west lasting 2 months now.

Couple things to remember ...
  • NAO continues negative
  • Earth is now tilting away from sun so troughs will get deeper into U.S and the cold and warm pockets will be more extreme
  • El Nino development

Old 08-15-2012, 07:52 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,418,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
Really? Well there are already a few trees here that have red leaves on them.
We won't get any change in leaf colour until September here. Once nights start to get below 10°C regularly seems to be the trigger here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Yes, it is invigorating, and I'll be enjoying every second of it.

Also, the leaves go red where I live, as well as a golden yellowy colour.
Even if you're a cold fan, I still can't understand what you'd like about our autumn, because it's basically just a slightly cooler and much more boring tedious version of summer. It's not anything like a winter you'd enjoy any more than summer really. Anyway it's not invigorating to me but boring, I tend to lose most of my interest in the weather until about March the following year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather