Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: what do you think?
keep it as is 16 16.16%
change to year round daylight time 39 39.39%
change to round standard time 23 23.23%
change to year round compromise time (half hour between the two) 6 6.06%
I don't care but I do just wish we could stick to one of them 11 11.11%
I really don't care either way 4 4.04%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 01:14 PM

3,721 posts, read 7,821,978 times

Advertisements

It was just a thought.

Anyway I am definitely NOT a morning person, I voted for year round DST, and I love all seasons, as well as the variances in length of daylight. I voted for year round DST because I love the late summer evenings and don't want to lose them, but HATE the twice a year time changes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2012, 01:32 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,655,217 times
DST - bring it on. Only 2 weeks to go. I enjoy the longer evenings, and am always up before sunrise anyway, so nothing lost for me.

The start of DST, is the start of summer season for me.

Old 09-20-2012, 01:35 PM

5,586 posts, read 10,647,419 times
Anyone else out there who likes both the extremes of day length (i.e. daylight after 9pm and darkness before 5pm) equally but finds the idea of 7am-7pm daylight just plain boring?

Old 09-20-2012, 01:47 PM

8,159 posts, read 8,727,553 times
Yep, I always enjoy the month or so before each solstice when it's already "extreme" and continues towards more darkness/light. Otoh, I don't like months like August or February sunhsine-wise, when it's getting close to the equinox. By September/March I've switched and embrace any change in day duration. I agree that 7 am-7 pm year-round would be pretty boring.

I am not a morning person, like heat and cold and said that I couldn't care less. Not sure about that now that I think about it. I'd rather have year-round DST than year-round solar time. Plus here it's more DST in the winter and "double DST" in summer, and I'm fine with that. I don't really mind the switch, though in March that means a pretty short night, which isn't optimal (I'd rather have 26-27 hours per day, need to change planets).

Old 09-20-2012, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
Yep, I always enjoy the month or so before each solstice when it's already "extreme" and continues towards more darkness/light. Otoh, I don't like months like August or February sunhsine-wise, when it's getting close to the equinox. By September/March I've switched and embrace any change in day duration. I agree that 7 am-7 pm year-round would be pretty boring.

I am not a morning person, like heat and cold and said that I couldn't care less. Not sure about that now that I think about it. I'd rather have year-round DST than year-round solar time. Plus here it's more DST in the winter and "double DST" in summer, and I'm fine with that. I don't really mind the switch, though in March that means a pretty short night, which isn't optimal (I'd rather have 26-27 hours per day, need to change planets).
I think if I lived in eastern France I'd very much like your timezone the way it is rather than solar time, but anywhere north or west of Paris then I'd find it hard to get out of bed on dark winter mornings. Still, getting the earliest sunset not far off 5pm wouldn't be early enough for me - I think 57-58N suits my preferences best re. daylight lengths, ideally something like 8:30-3:00 in midwinter and 4:00-10:15 in midsummer (I think some places in southern Sweden come close).

Old 09-20-2012, 02:26 PM

8,159 posts, read 8,727,553 times
But do you find the sun angle optimal at 57-58N north? I could do with a bit more daylight seasonality, but I like to have the sun quite up in the sky in summer, so around 50N is a good compromise for me.
In NW France the latest sunrise is between 8:45 (Paris) and 9:15 (Brest). Believe it or not, I'd like if it was half an hour later. And like you, I prefer earlier sunsets than what we get in December. So basically a DST southern Sweden.

Old 09-20-2012, 02:36 PM

Quote:
But do you find the sun angle optimal at 57-58N north? I could do with a bit more daylight seasonality, but I like to have the sun quite up in the sky in summer, so around 50N is a good compromise for me.
In NW France the latest sunrise is between 8:45 (Paris) and 9:15 (Brest). Believe it or not, I'd like if it was half an hour later. And like you, I prefer earlier sunsets than what we get in December. So basically a DST southern Sweden.
I could get used to the lower angle by itself, but having a longer period of time (I guess early October/mid March) when there's effectively no strength to be felt in the sun would be less than ideal, ditto the shorter period of possible warm weather. My ideal fake climate, Benland, is a mixture of 50N-ish central Europe in terms of temperatures and day-to-day summer weather, and Scottish daylight hours and precip. totals/changeable winter weather

Old 09-20-2012, 02:52 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,867,312 times
Quote:
I actually don't find the sun angle at this latitude all that low in the winter maybe its because I was born here.
I think its just average.

Old 09-20-2012, 02:53 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,867,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
DST - bring it on. Only 2 weeks to go. I enjoy the longer evenings, and am always up before sunrise anyway, so nothing lost for me.

The start of DST, is the start of summer season for me.
Standard time bring it on, only one month.

Old 09-20-2012, 07:34 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,205,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
I'd like to ask three question to all of the participants here:

Are you a morning person or an evening person
How did you vote in the poll?
Are you a heat/warm-lover, cold/cool-lover, or do you like mild weather?

I'll start off by saying that I'm a morning person, I voted for year-round standard time, and I like cold weather.
lol, I don't know why I'm such an outlier. I literally do not care, but I just want one of these times to stick.
I'm fine with waking up early in the morning or staying up all night, and I can do either consistently if necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather