Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2012, 06:43 AM

6,517 posts, read 5,816,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
London definitely wouldn't be reaching 37C in any given year. Excluding that one day, though, it could be a weather forecast for London in July.
London can and has reached 37C though, I'm not sure it will ever reach much higher but it has done. With the rain we've had this winter it's unlikely we will see record temps next year, the ground will just be too wet. We need a drought!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2012, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanfel View Post
Yes, Sophie, but I also said that the temp I saw on TV wasn't updated. It usually happens. Some channels don't update the temp so regularly (and perhaps they do it on purpose to sound more sensational). The 34.5 C they were showing was the temp from 8 PM. Anyway, it wasn't 34.5 C at midnight but 31.5 C, which doesn't make so much of a difference for me as to how it feels like... the difference it makes is that 34.5 C at midnight is really unheard of.
She's struggling to grasp what the temperature actually was, although I appreciate the heat index was very high. Has Buenos Aires ever recorded a low above 30C Sanfel?

Old 12-27-2012, 06:54 AM

777 posts, read 1,062,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
London definitely wouldn't be reaching 37C in any given year. Excluding that one day, though, it could be a weather forecast for London in July.
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
That forecast could be for London but the huge jump to 37C would be way out of character.
I'm sure that 37C will be downgraded anyway so just ignore it. After all, NYE was downgraded from 32C to just 26C, and this has been the theme this so-called summer. Basically 1 or 2 warm-hot days, then a week or so of 22-24C maritime horse crap. And ofcourse, NO THUNDERSTORMS

GFS certainly doesn't show anything approaching 37C on that particular day, instead it has a high pressure cell parked over Vic with 850T's around 14C for Melbourne so I'd expect nothing higher than maybe 32C, and that's if there are no seabreezes

It just can't seem to warm up this "summer"

Old 12-27-2012, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean york View Post
She's struggling to grasp what the temperature actually was, although I appreciate the heat index was very high. Has Buenos Aires ever recorded a low above 30C Sanfel?
She actually admitted she doesn't know what an "overnight low" is. Says it all really

Melbourne's record high overnight low is 30.6°C, which is the second highest of all capital cities after Adelaide's 33.9°C.

Old 12-27-2012, 07:09 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,562,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
thanks for the chart, this is awesome malraver

see dhdh??? nowhere NEAR 25c!!!!!

seriously dhdh, how would you think ME, sanfel and malraver would be talking about the HOTTEST NIGHT WE EVER LIVED (not only me, who some think i could exagarete, but sanfel and malraver that are the masters of accurate data and, even when feeling super hot, wont exagerate a bit) if night was 25.3 night???????

25.3c is a perfectly average, normal night, wich NO ONE (not even me) would consider hot in a buenos aires summer!!!!!!!

but 35c night, with a heat index of 42, its just a hell i never thought i would have lived.

in this malraver chart is the data

Your agressive writing and extensive use of caps lock are seriously annoying, as is your apparent total lack of understanding over the meaning of a low temperature, as you commonly mess it up with night temperatures, heat indexes, etc.

First of all no one gives a damn about heat indexes when comparing stuff, they are ALWAYS much higher than the actual temp and look impressive in climates which are at least somewhat humid. The average daily max heat index in Singapore is somewhere well above 40°C when average highs hover around 30°C (and everyone survives ) so your "50°C days" are bullcrap, it's just a number that's totally different from the temp so you can't use it in the same way AT ALL (though I do not doubt any way that the night you experienced was hot and muggy - when the daily max is 37°C, vocabulary such as "40°C nights" and "50°C days" is automatically inappropriate).

Second, as you can see from your beloved chart posted by marlaver, the temp was 31.8°C at midnight and still decreasing at a rate of approximately 1°C per hour, confirming the expected value of around 25°C at 6/7am which IS THE ACTUAL MINIMUM temperature, i.e. the minimum over a 24 hour period, not the temp at midnight I talked about Hong Kong in July earlier, it has an average low of 26/27°C depending on areas, because that's what the temp is at 5/6am, not the midnight temp which is ROUTINELY above 30°C.........proving that once again your "34°C minimum" is utter bull****

Third, a 25.3°C low is not a "cool summer night" in Buenos Aires. It is:
Warmer than all lows of December 2012
Warmer than all lows of November 2012
Warmer than all lows of March 2012
Warmer than all lows of February 2012
Warmer than all lows, except one, of January 2012
Warmer than all lows of December 2011
Warmer than all lows of November 2011
etc.

Should I go on?

Your average low is 20°C in the warmest month. A 25°C low is well above it (and absolutely not average as you said) and seems to happen about once every summer. So much for the "weeks of 30°C nights". It was the warmest night you ever lived probably because BA doesn't get minima much above 25°C.

On the other hand I experienced an actual, 24 hour low of 31°C (accompanied by a high over 40°C) and I can tell you that's a totally different story than 31°C AT MIDNIGHT

So, no, you don't live in Antartica but you certainly don't live in Hong Kong or Delhi either, so unless you can prove me that BA recorded a "low" of 34°C - in which case I'll pay myself for your plane ticket to any holiday destination of your choice - then get your facts straights, get some basic understanding of daily weather statistics, and stop being agressive towards people.

Last edited by dhdh; 12-27-2012 at 07:18 AM..

Old 12-27-2012, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdh View Post
Your agressive writing and extensive use of caps lock are seriously annoying, as is your apparent total lack of understanding over the meaning of a low temperature, as you commonly mess it up with night temperatures, heat indexes, etc.

First of all no one gives a damn about heat indexes when comparing stuff, they are ALWAYS much higher than the actual temp and look impressive in climates which are at least somewhat humid. The average daily max heat index in Singapore is somewhere well above 40°C when average highs hover around 30°C (and everyone survives ) so your "50°C days" are bullcrap, it's just a number that's totally different from the temp so you can't use it in the same way AT ALL (though I do not doubt any way that the night you experienced was hot and muggy - when the daily max is 37°C, vocabulary such as "40°C nights" and "50°C days" is automatically inappropriate).

Second, as you can see from your beloved chart posted by marlaver, the temp was 31.8°C at midnight and still decreasing at a rate of approximately 1°C per hour, confirming the expected value of around 25°C at 6/7am which IS THE ACTUAL MINIMUM temperature, i.e. the minimum over a 24 hour period, not the temp at midnight I talked about Hong Kong in July earlier, it has an average low of 26/27°C depending on areas, because that's what the temp is at 5/6am, not the midnight temp which is ROUTINELY above 30°C.........proving that once again your "34°C minimum" is utter bull****

Third, a 25.3°C low is not a "cool summer night" in Buenos Aires. It is:
Warmer than all lows of December 2012
Warmer than all lows of November 2012
Warmer than all lows of March 2012
Warmer than all lows of February 2012
Warmer than all lows, except one, of January 2012
Warmer than all lows of December 2011
Warmer than all lows of November 2011
etc.

Should I go on?

Your average low is 20°C in the warmest month. A 25°C low is well above it (and absolutely not average as you said) and seems to happen about once every summer. So much for the "weeks of 30°C nights". It was the warmest night you ever lived probably because BA doesn't get minima much above 25°C.

On the other hand I experienced an actual, 24 hour low of 31°C (accompanied by a high over 40°C) and I can tell you that's a totally different story than 31°C AT MIDNIGHT

So, no, you don't live in Antartica but you certainly don't live in Hong Kong or Delhi either, so unless you can prove me that BA recorded a "low" of 34°C - in which case I'll pay myself for your plane ticket to any holiday destination of your choice - then get your facts straights, get some basic understanding of daily weather statistics, and stop being agressive towards people.

It had to be said.

Last edited by Galaxyman; 12-27-2012 at 08:18 AM..

Old 12-27-2012, 08:30 AM

Well said dhdh, post of the Century!

Old 12-27-2012, 09:36 AM

5,576 posts, read 7,999,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxyman View Post
She actually admitted she doesn't know what an "overnight low" is. Says it all really

Melbourne's record high overnight low is 30.6°C, which is the second highest of all capital cities after Adelaide's 33.9°C.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dean york View Post
Quote:
Second, as you can see from your beloved chart posted by marlaver, the temp was 31.8°C at midnight and still decreasing at a rate of approximately 1°C per hour, confirming the expected value of around 25°C at 6/7am which IS THE ACTUAL MINIMUM temperature, i.e. the minimum over a 24 hour period, not the temp at midnight
[...]

I see that there was a tussle last night. While Sophie's use of the term "nights" invites confusion, it seems that all of you need to learn the difference between an evening temperature and the morning low temperature. Perhaps this quote of mine will remind you:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
When Sophie refers to "30C nights", "nights" mean the temperatures that prevail in the evening, not the morning/overnight low . It is a useful indication if you're looking to get a good night's sleep, which without air conditioning is pretty much impossible in a climate like that (big-time WWF's excepted).
Quote:
First of all no one gives a damn about heat indexes when comparing stuff, they are ALWAYS much higher than the actual temp and look impressive in climates which are at least somewhat humid.
Always? I've seen more than a few days where the heat index was lower than the actual temperature, but the conditions have to not be humid for that to happen, which believe it or not does happen in large areas of the world (just not the humid tropical and humid subtropical climates).

Old 12-27-2012, 10:19 AM

839 posts, read 3,074,419 times
I will just say, excuse Sophie. If you've been reading her posts since she signed up to CD, you'll understand she's not deliberately mean. In fact, she tends to accept facts and stand corrected when needed, except this last time, but, as Patricius said, it's all a question of specific terms we're using (night, overnight low, etc.).

Old 12-27-2012, 10:33 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,221,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanfel View Post
I will just say, excuse Sophie. If you've been reading her posts since she signed up to CD, you'll understand she's not deliberately mean. In fact, she tends to accept facts and stand corrected when needed, except this last time, but, as Patricius said, it's all a question of specific terms we're using (night, overnight low, etc.).
Agreed.

Evening/bed time temperature are very important. On paper, the average July low of 60 F where I live would sound pleasantly cool. But based on experience, it's much warmer in the evening and it warms up rapidly in the morning. Thus, A/C is still needed here despite the "cool" average lows.

I also think heat index is important and shouldn't be discarded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather