Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Rate
A 2 4.26%
B 11 23.40%
C 15 31.91%
D 11 23.40%
E 4 8.51%
F 4 8.51%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 07:24 PM

4,965 posts, read 5,689,589 times

Advertisements

Portsmouth has a superior climate to any other at its latitude. I'll give it that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2013, 07:28 PM

29,531 posts, read 19,620,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
People can express opinions in an non-provocative manner. You're clearing trying to rile people.

I can quote adjectives such as awful, horrible, horrid, sucks, crap, terrible, worst, yuk from 5463463 posters here that describe any number of different climates.

Old 09-13-2013, 07:33 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,929,460 times
Quote:
Portsmouth will feel more summery than areas further inland due to more abundant sunshine and considerably warmer nights. Whether the average maximums are slightly below 22C or not is absolutely irrelevant, unless you're an annoying troll such as yourself..

I always laugh at people who say we have no summer.. I'd like to see them come here all bundled up in coats because it's soooo cold at 22C, when everyone else is in T-shirts and shorts enjoying the pleasant weather like normal people.. lol. People on here do make me laugh.

I certainly wouldn't be bundled up in a coat, lol. It is just a personal preference for what kind of summer temps I like. 71F can be very pleasant with no wind and sunshine. I don't bundle up in a coat in spring around here. It is just in summer I like it hot.

I happen to think that southern coastline of England is really beautiful. I wouldn't mind spending a lot time there enjoying the sights, etc. I can't wait to get more free time from work and do some travelling.

I don't know much about this part of England, but check this out:

Old 09-13-2013, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeteoMan View Post
Portsmouth has a superior climate to any other at its latitude. I'll give it that.
Much better than the same latitude on this side of the Atlantic. I'd choose Portsmouth any day over Newfoundland.

Old 09-13-2013, 07:40 PM

Quote:
People can express opinions in an non-provocative manner. You're clearly trying to rile people. Probably in retaliation to what flamingGalah said about Chicago's cold winters.

I've seen that image before - to refer to the recent cold summers, not an average summer.

Someone that lives in Portsmouth with 50F for an avg Jan high would most certainly describe a Chicago winter pretty horridly.

Old 09-13-2013, 07:48 PM

29,531 posts, read 19,620,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Someone that lives in Portsmouth with 50F for an avg Jan high would most certainly describe a Chicago winter pretty horridly.
And that would be their prerogative to do so. Just as it is mine who lives in Chicago who would most certainly describe Portsmouth summer averages as "non summer-like" by my standards.

25C/77F is considered very cool here in July and 88F/31C is considered warm, and 33/92F hot. It's just what I am accustomed to.

The whole point of rating climates is to give your thoughts and opinions on what climate you like and dislike.

Old 09-13-2013, 08:01 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
I'm a troll because I feel that those temperatures are not my idea of summer. I can't have an opinion? But others who have the opinion that Chicago's winters horridly cold are not trolling right?
Meh. Saying someone's location "doesn't have real seasons" seems to rile people up, more so than I don't like your weather. There isn't a correct idea of summer anyway. I like hot weather, but I certainly don't weeks of mid 80s to feel like it's "real summer". Not everyone wants "real summer" or cares.

Old 09-13-2013, 08:37 PM
B87 B87 started this thread

11,769 posts, read 10,597,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
I'm thinking that February as the coldest month, may be a product of latitude, rather than maritime influence. August is nearly 1.5C warmer than July here, despite the maritime influence. I think that is because the lower latitude means that the sun can provide more heating, earlier in the season.

C for me. Probably where I would live if I was from the UK. I like the minimum temps there, when compared to here.

It's maritime influence in this case. London has a warmer February than January, and a warmer July than August.

Old 09-13-2013, 09:43 PM

1,231 posts, read 1,387,665 times
Is Portsmouth the sunniest city in England?

Old 09-13-2013, 10:57 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
It's maritime influence in this case. London has a warmer February than January, and a warmer July than August.
It's pretty close to call. Like Leeds, London see a slight warming in maximums, that is nearly offset by a cooling in minimums. Not what I'd call a clear warming trend.

I'm not really sure if there seems to be a clear pattern of maritime lag. Portsmouth has a clearly colder Feb than Jan, but July and Aug are the same. London has Jan and Feb virtually the same, but a very slight decrease from July to Aug. Here has a warmer Aug than July (1.4C), but only a slightly warmer Feb than Jan (0.4C)

I'd say it's hard to get a clear sense of maritime influence/lag.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather