Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How warm must it at least be?
Warm summers with no variable snowpack in winter 33 19.64%
Hot summers with no variable snowpack in winter 50 29.76%
Chilly winters and warm summers 15 8.93%
Chilly winters and hot summers 29 17.26%
Not any of the above (please explain) 41 24.40%
Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2016, 11:40 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,929,460 times

Advertisements

I drove 5 hours south on this past Friday morning to Norfolk/VA Beach, VA. A totally different look once you crossed the 23 mile Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel. I assume because it is surrounded by the east and north/northwest by water it is quite modified compared to inland locales at the same latitude. It was very green in winter. Flowers were blooming all over, trees were starting to bloom, lots of Oleander, blooming camellias, palmettos, sago palms, loads of Chinese windmill palms, and a lot of different broadleaf evergreens. This area is the northernmost native range of the Live Oak and other native North American evergreen oaks.

It was nice to leave winter, and arrive in what looked like Spring to me. Some locations even looked like summer with so much greenery around.

So do you guys think Norfolk/VA Beach makes the cut for humid subtropical or is it mild continental. I took these pics this past weekend in the area.

This location has around an avg Jan mean of 41 to 41.5F (5-5.3C). It is actually slightly colder than a place like London in winter, but I have never seen pics of London in winter that look this green with so many large trees in full leaf in winter. London can sustain CIDP, though, which this area cannot. But Jan is the only month that London is warmer. I assume it is all the warmth in the other months that allow for so many broadleaf evergreens.

We have Sweetbay Magnolia native in our area, but it is semi evergreen in winter, while it was nice to see it fully evergreen in Norfolk/VA Beach. Oleander in our area can only be grown in pots, and that is even right on the coast in southern Delaware. There was literally Oleander everywhere and it was green. And we wouldn't have so many blooming camellias in winter. Camellias in our area 5 hours to the north mostly bloom in April, with some blooming in late November/early December. There were blooming camellias everywhere. Really was an amazing difference in such a short drive.

There was tons of Oleander in the area that looked in very good shape

Found a great waterside pub with good seafood and local beer.

Great beaches in the summer with golden sand and warm water

Old 03-01-2016, 12:03 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times
Great photos. Looks like a laid back place, with lots of nice vegetation and good beaches. Oleanders are in full bloom here - they flower for ages, and are always attractive flowers/plants.

The beer photo got me heading to the fridge

Old 03-01-2016, 12:18 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,704,209 times
Looks very green in winter... definitely more subtropical looking. Love the palms

Old 03-01-2016, 12:42 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,597,260 times
Nice pics. Camellias bloom in Feb here so we have a lot in flower already.

Old 03-01-2016, 03:46 AM

6,344 posts, read 4,406,867 times
you should have taken a dip in the water! its only about 50 degrees. Why not, I know I would have. Area looks super green. so many live oaks, I have seen tons around here too but nothing like that or in the density they are planted in at VA beach. The palms look nice too, makes me happy they are doing fine especially after the past 2 years. As for why its greener than London, for one its average high in winter is a little higher even though its January mean is colder than London, not too mention they get a lot of warm days in winter that are above 60 and some above 70 so that helps, combined with a very warm spring, and hot, wet summer makes for quite the subtropical place. Also the strong sun helps a lot too. I have always told you the south Is not as dead as you say, even the inland south. Very beautiful pictures though.

Old 03-01-2016, 08:20 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,227,638 times
To me, the Virginia Beach area would be the northern limit of a subtropical climate on the east coast.

Old 03-01-2016, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North 42 View Post
To me, the Virginia Beach area would be the northern limit of a subtropical climate on the east coast.

But as the people there told me, it does not extend inland to a place like Richmond. It is the Chesapeake Bay to the north doing all the work.

Old 03-01-2016, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
Nice pics. Camellias bloom in Feb here so we have a lot in flower already.

Camellias have really grown on me. I saw some in bloom a few weeks back in Cape May, NJ but that is only due I think to the mild December. I think it was left over Autumn blooming camellias. The Spring blooming camellias are usually April here with normal weather, and maybe late March with a warmer than avg Feb and March. Will be interesting to see if they bloom this month around here with the warm forecasted temps.

But yeah, London and at least southern UK have lots more winter greenery and blooming things in Feb/March than we do around here. I remember being in London for a long weekend around our Presidents Day holiday which is mid February. I remember being really surprised seeing cherry trees in bloom already.

Are the cherry trees there in bloom already now?

You need to post some more pics of how Spring is progressing in London. I do think you guys get a quicker jump on Spring than we do cause you just never get as cold in winter. That means your soil temps never get as cold and plants and trees react to the soil temps I think more than the air temps.

Old 03-01-2016, 08:50 AM

11,326 posts, read 20,332,923 times
Nice pics, wish I was there right now lol. The Tidewater region is definitely subtropical in my opinion. And Richmond certainly isn't Virginia Beach, it has more in common with DC, it doesn't look all that different from here. I began noticing a change around Williamsburg, seeing numerous windmill palms growing out in the open, I even saw a few healthy sago palms, but who knows if they receive protection or not, or if they're still alive.

I'll post some of the pics I have if anyone's interested.

Old 03-01-2016, 09:48 AM

6,344 posts, read 4,406,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Camellias have really grown on me. I saw some in bloom a few weeks back in Cape May, NJ but that is only due I think to the mild December. I think it was left over Autumn blooming camellias. The Spring blooming camellias are usually April here with normal weather, and maybe late March with a warmer than avg Feb and March. Will be interesting to see if they bloom this month around here with the warm forecasted temps.

But yeah, London and at least southern UK have lots more winter greenery and blooming things in Feb/March than we do around here. I remember being in London for a long weekend around our Presidents Day holiday which is mid February. I remember being really surprised seeing cherry trees in bloom already.

Are the cherry trees there in bloom already now?

You need to post some more pics of how Spring is progressing in London. I do think you guys get a quicker jump on Spring than we do cause you just never get as cold in winter. That means your soil temps never get as cold and plants and trees react to the soil temps I think more than the air temps.
PV over them London is experiencing January temps and the cold looks to last.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather