Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How warm must it at least be?
Warm summers with no variable snowpack in winter 33 19.64%
Hot summers with no variable snowpack in winter 50 29.76%
Chilly winters and warm summers 15 8.93%
Chilly winters and hot summers 29 17.26%
Not any of the above (please explain) 41 24.40%
Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2022, 03:23 PM

2,831 posts, read 1,414,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
Savannah's 4/16 average is long sleeves or sweatshirt weather to me depending on the time of day. Realistically it seems to jump around between jacket weather and t shirt weather . Sometimes within the same day. 2018 is a good example for that

Philadelphia, going by averages -2/5 I would be throwing on a jacket for days like that. If it gets hot can always unzip it. Toronto's -7/-1 puts it closer to Philly than Philly is to Savanah, especially those daytime highs. Toronto and Phlly averages don't seem that different to me. The -7 to -2 just means I might throw some gloves on in the morning to drive but the jacket style probably the same between -1 and 5 (assuming no snow in Toronto)
Yeah, I would expect your temperature descriptions from someone in a climate as warm as Atlanta. It's a lot warmer than the all-types-of-weather-encompassing climate that my descriptions (and the UTCI) are based on.

You're absolutely right about the jumping around. I love seeing that when I monitor as long as it doesn't get colder than expected and/or end the monitoring too soon, what fun.

Old 12-12-2022, 03:54 PM

5,742 posts, read 3,517,961 times
Did somebody really post a photo of a coconut palm in Dallas and expect to get away with it?

Old 12-12-2022, 06:02 PM

1,550 posts, read 872,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB365 View Post
You're probably right ....I'm amazed how many people don't ....but they should...
Winnipeg....you shouldn't fool around ...a winter parka with a hood is best ....
though...maybe not today...today is one of those rare winter days when
Winnipeg is about the same temp as Toronto...both with highs around 0c

Correction...I just checked ...Winnipeg is currently warmer at -1c
Toronto Pearson -2c
It's not unusual for Toronto to feel like -10c with the wind chill at that temperature and with the damp cold.

Quote:
Savannah's 4/16 average is long sleeves or sweatshirt weather to me depending on the time of day. Realistically it seems to jump around between jacket weather and t shirt weather . Sometimes within the same day. 2018 is a good example for that

Philadelphia, going by averages -2/5 I would be throwing on a jacket for days like that. If it gets hot can always unzip it. Toronto's -7/-1 puts it closer to Philly than Philly is to Savanah, especially those daytime highs. Toronto and Phlly averages don't seem that different to me. The -7 to -2 just means I might throw some gloves on in the morning to drive but the jacket style probably the same between -1 and 5 (assuming no snow in Toronto)
6 degrees C between Philadelphia and Toronto is still a significant difference and those are city centre stations that you displayed. Though I agree Philadelphia is closer to Toronto than Savannah, Philadelphia is right in between Toronto and Savannah for January lows.

Old 12-12-2022, 06:08 PM

2,374 posts, read 1,857,841 times
Well I got bogged down with a few things but I have a setup now to check stations for tropical days. I checked both critera >18 average and >18 low. Passing grade is 33% or 4 months of tropical weather. My expectations are the 18avg will line up closely with koppen and the 18avg will line up with the more conservative definition of subtropical that's also popular on here. I am checking 2016-2021 full year numbers. Getting complete data is a little bit of a chore for anything except the major airport stations and even then sometimes averages are missing and have to be estimated.

Results:

Spoiler

I am actually surprised how similar Philadelphia performed to another certain city on the list on these metrics... May run some more cities later. Based on this so far I don't think 4 months of 18avg is nearly enough to qualiy since a blatantly continental climate can pass that. 18+ lows is closer but the fact koppen only needs 18avg for tropical is a sticking point. Maybe up it from 33% to 50% needed to pass if we go by 18avg

EDIT: 2nd batch of cities. Including a bunch of non SEUS cities to calibrate

Spoiler

Again surprised by some results

Last edited by Space_League; 12-12-2022 at 06:34 PM..

Old 12-12-2022, 07:09 PM

5,742 posts, read 3,517,961 times
Quote:
Well I got bogged down with a few things but I have a setup now to check stations for tropical days. I checked both critera >18 average and >18 low. Passing grade is 33% or 4 months of tropical weather. My expectations are the 18avg will line up closely with koppen and the 18avg will line up with the more conservative definition of subtropical that's also popular on here. I am checking 2016-2021 full year numbers. Getting complete data is a little bit of a chore for anything except the major airport stations and even then sometimes averages are missing and have to be estimated.

Results:

Spoiler

I am actually surprised how similar Philadelphia performed to another certain city on the list on these metrics... May run some more cities later. Based on this so far I don't think 4 months of 18avg is nearly enough to qualiy since a blatantly continental climate can pass that. 18+ lows is closer but the fact koppen only needs 18avg for tropical is a sticking point. Maybe up it from 33% to 50% needed to pass if we go by 18avg

EDIT: 2nd batch of cities. Including a bunch of non SEUS cities to calibrate

Spoiler

Again surprised by some results
What are you surprised by? It looked pretty much as expected--it's hot down there.

Edit: Thank you for doing this, BTW.

Old 12-12-2022, 07:20 PM

2,391 posts, read 1,071,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancerman View Post
It's not unusual for Toronto to feel like -10c with the wind chill at that temperature and with the damp cold.

6 degrees C between Philadelphia and Toronto is still a significant difference and those are city centre stations that you displayed. Though I agree Philadelphia is closer to Toronto than Savannah, Philadelphia is right in between Toronto and Savannah for January lows.
I know you don't like that Annex city weather station ...probably would
blow it up if you could

Also want to point out Philly's airport is close to downtown as big city airports go...near the river too
also Philly data is 1991-2010 climate normals ....Environment Canada doesn't have it's
act together ...still only 1981-2010 climate normals ...Philly old january average high was 4C....new Toronto Annex normals will probably be about a degree warmer 0c / -6c...so about 5 degrees degrees colder than Philly.

Old 12-12-2022, 07:22 PM

2,374 posts, read 1,857,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed's Mountain View Post
What are you surprised by? It looked pretty much as expected--it's hot down there.

Edit: Thank you for doing this, BTW.

I am surprised by Chicago hitting as high as it did for days over 18avg and meeting the 4 month threshold. Surprised how little the difference is between Chicago and Philly in 18avg and 18low. Philadelphia is right around what I expected but expected Chicago to post significantly lower than it did.

Dallas and Jacksonville about what I expected. I expected San Francisco to perform poorly but was still surprised just how miserably it does by this metric. DC is spot on where I expected and find it really interesting how close it hugs the 4 month line for 18low. After running Chicago, I expected Boston to pass 18avg so I was surprised that it didn't. I expected Boston, especially Boston Logan to post higher than Chicago in both metrics and it posted lower in both. Minneapolis again I was surprised it very nearly made the cutoff for 18avg despite being the polar opposite of what most would consider a US subtropical city. The rest are pretty inline with my expecations.

Old 12-12-2022, 09:42 PM

1,550 posts, read 872,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB365 View Post
I know you don't like that Annex city weather station ...probably would
blow it up if you could

Also want to point out Philly's airport is close to downtown as big city airports go...near the river too
also Philly data is 1991-2010 climate normals ....Environment Canada doesn't have it's
act together ...still only 1981-2010 climate normals ...Philly old january average high was 4C....new Toronto Annex normals will probably be about a degree warmer 0c / -6c...so about 5 degrees degrees colder than Philly.
Since Savannah airport was used I think it's proper to use more official stations. Comparing Philly airport to Toronto airport the low would be a 6 degrees C difference.

Is that you BMI? Yeah, I don't care for the Annex, all it did was give false premise of growing palms. But I think you would do the same for more representative stations of GTA.

Old 12-13-2022, 05:47 AM

The Savannah airport is a cold hole as it is quite inland. Tybee Island/Savannah Beach would be more representative of actual Savannah.
https://www.weather-us.com/en/georgi...island-climate

I must say, it's much milder! Sure the daytime highs are a bit lower, but the nights - those 8.4 Celsius January lows are only barely cool weather for one.

Old 12-13-2022, 06:16 AM

Also thank you so much Space League for all this data. A big thumbs up and +1 to Ed's thank you.

I got so wrapped up in the Dallas/Minneapolis/Miami thread that I barely noticed lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather