Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How warm must it at least be?
Warm summers with no variable snowpack in winter 33 19.64%
Hot summers with no variable snowpack in winter 50 29.76%
Chilly winters and warm summers 15 8.93%
Chilly winters and hot summers 29 17.26%
Not any of the above (please explain) 41 24.40%
Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2020, 01:08 AM

346 posts, read 199,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyIsAPoser View Post
I think of a subtropical climate with hot long humid summers, with mild to chilly but short winters, such as where I live (Rock Hill, SC)
Yeah, I'm familiar with that area being a Carolina boy (raised in a military family so I did live overseas as a kid and in other parts of the US, but raised mostly in SC & NC). I went to college at UNCC in the early-mid 2000s and have family in NC and all over SC.

I would say that Rock Hill, with a stable winter, could be subtropical and I would say that for most of the southeast (inland areas included) if we had the geography and teleconnections that prevent us of constantly getting high winter temp abnormalities (20F+ below average temperature abnormalites) via potent Canadian highs and polar vortexes that make themselves down every now and then.

Old 12-15-2020, 09:35 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,687,075 times
I'd consider a climate more subtropical, if it's environment has higher levels of winter ecological activity - climate and environment can never be separated.

Old 12-16-2020, 12:43 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,762,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Seattle nearly meets your criteria. Do you think it is Subtropical?
Seattle still fails, although it is not too far off. San Francisco meets the requirement.

Old 12-16-2020, 06:20 AM

1,503 posts, read 915,625 times
When I think of subtropical, I think of South African Indian Ocean coast climates from about East London northwards. Warm to hot summers and mild to warm winters, not as hot as the tropics and with more seasonality in temperature than most tropical climates but less than most oceanic ones.

East London
Durban
Richard's Bay

Other coastal South African cities are not generally regarded as subtropical. Eg:-

Port Elizabeth
Mossel Bay
Cape Town

Old 12-16-2020, 04:04 PM

63 posts, read 43,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
Cities with Subtropical Climates in my opinion:

N.America:Tijuana, San Diego, Los Angeles, Phoenix, Brownsville, Corpus, Houston, New Orleans, Biloxi, Pensacola, Tampa, Daytona Beach, Savannah, Chaleston, Myrtle Beach, Matamoros

S.America: Buenos Aires, Santiago, Montevideo, Lima, Quito, Sau Paulo

Africa: Cairo, Tunis, Alexandria, Cape Town, Johannesburg

Europe:Lisbon, Madrid, Nice, Malta, Valencia, Rome, Athens, Sicily

Asia: New Delhi, Tokyo, Okinawa, Harbin, Guangzhou, Shanghai

Australia: Sydney, Perth, Alice Springs, Northern New Zealand

Anarctica: Weddell Sea
Are you sick? HARBIN is considered subtropical climate???? It is one of the coldest cities in the world!

Winters are extremely cold and long, highs are well below -10C in January, colder than most Canadian cities(Toronto, Montreal, Halifax) from November to March.

Summers are warm and short with an average high below 30C in July.

If Harbin is subtropical, then Vancouver, London, Paris, Berlin, Amsterdam and Moscow are all subtropical.

Last edited by terence33; 12-16-2020 at 04:18 PM..

Old 12-16-2020, 05:17 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,935,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cevven View Post
I agree for the most part. However, you do have to factor in the night temps, it may average in the upper 60s and low 70's during the day in the cold months - but it may average below 50F (in the 40's in this case) at night - and then usually you need a jacket and some people require heating at those temps. That being said, I do think if the daytime temperature averages above 70F (I personally would say 72F and up) during the coldest months, that when you reach tropical or megathermal (I like the latter word better) territory with the climate.

What I would say what would say one of things that would disqualify a climate to be too cold to be subtropical if any day of the year (outside of once in a few decades or century event) where the temperatures fail to go above freezing. Raleigh, for example, averages around 3 days a year that it doesn't go above freezing. I seen Tom77Falcons on this forum mention that could put many subtropical flora under serious threat, which I agree.

Yes, tis true. I've said many times that there is a continental feature to eastern US climates in the south. Say southern GA for example. It has daytime highs averaging over 60F in winter, but the nightly lows also go down 20F to say low 40'sF. A 20F swing from day to night seems pretty continental in winter. Also seasonally, an avg winter low of 40F vs a summer low of 75F seems pretty continental.

Old 12-16-2020, 07:08 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,671,374 times
Temperature-wise, one is pretty typical sub-tropical climate: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nago#Climate

Old 12-16-2020, 07:37 PM

2,227 posts, read 1,405,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence33 View Post
Are you sick? HARBIN is considered subtropical climate???? It is one of the coldest cities in the world!

Winters are extremely cold and long, highs are well below -10C in January, colder than most Canadian cities(Toronto, Montreal, Halifax) from November to March.

Summers are warm and short with an average high below 30C in July.

If Harbin is subtropical, then Vancouver, London, Paris, Berlin, Amsterdam and Moscow are all subtropical.
I think he meant to say Hainan and accidentally typed in Harbin . Hainan has a climate identical to Louisiana

Old 12-16-2020, 08:20 PM

404 posts, read 257,272 times
I'd say long hot summers and short, relatively mild winters with little snowpack.

I think the entire deep south is unquestionably humid subtropical while states like Kentucky and Virginia are transitional.

I live in Augusta georgia and I think it is pretty much a quintessential humid subtropical climate, very muggy tropical-like summers and short mild winters. Winter snowpack is just not a thing that happens here, we rarely get snow, almost a decade can pass without snowfall.

There's also a delay when fall and winter kicks in, most deciduous tree's leaves won't start changing colors until November and they can start blooming in January(that happened this year).

Koppen described a warm moist climate and snowy, cold winter climate, this what is meant by the later terms like humid subtropical and humid continental. You have to reliably get annual winter snowfall in the first place to even be a contender for continental.

Last edited by Emman85; 12-16-2020 at 08:35 PM..

Old 12-17-2020, 02:18 AM

346 posts, read 199,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Yes, tis true. I've said many times that there is a continental feature to eastern US climates in the south. Say southern GA for example. It has daytime highs averaging over 60F in winter, but the nightly lows also go down 20F to say low 40'sF. A 20F swing from day to night seems pretty continental in winter. Also seasonally, an avg winter low of 40F vs a summer low of 75F seems pretty continental.
Exactly, for example in Raleigh, NC, the average high is 52 in January and Average low is 34 (per Weatherspark) = 18 degree difference between highs and lows = pretty continental. Actually, after living in NC for 27 years and Raleigh for 13, it's VERY common to have temp swings over 20F (30F temp difference between the high and low temp is not rare here) in the winter and most of the year really. Raleigh winter lows are from the upper 20's to low 40's and the summer lows are in the 60's to mid-70s, so yeah you right about this continental stuff. This actually true until you get to South Florida (interior South Florida is pretty continental - not much less than other Southeastern states - Miami is less continental but more continental than the average "tropical" climate as people often claim Miami is tropical)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather