Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How warm must it at least be?
Warm summers with no variable snowpack in winter 33 19.64%
Hot summers with no variable snowpack in winter 50 29.76%
Chilly winters and warm summers 15 8.93%
Chilly winters and hot summers 29 17.26%
Not any of the above (please explain) 41 24.40%
Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2022, 02:10 PM

2,381 posts, read 1,062,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancerman View Post
I'd say you need a hat in Toronto during winter.
You're probably right ....I'm amazed how many people don't ....but they should...
Winnipeg....you shouldn't fool around ...a winter parka with a hood is best ....
though...maybe not today...today is one of those rare winter days when
Winnipeg is about the same temp as Toronto...both with highs around 0c

Correction...I just checked ...Winnipeg is currently warmer at -1c
Toronto Pearson -2c

Old 12-12-2022, 02:19 PM

399 posts, read 255,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed's Mountain View Post
How many different kinds of palm trees can grow in Myrtle Beach? And what's the limiting factor preventing them from growing more?

Hint: it's nothing to do with the summer.
Many varieties of sabals, washingtonia robusta and filibusta, phoenix canariensis, livistona chinensis, butia, chamaerops, trachycarpus.

The limiting factor is hardiness of course, what do expect to be growing in Myrtle Beach, royal palms.

Old 12-12-2022, 02:45 PM

399 posts, read 255,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can't think of username View Post
I'll leave this to Emman85 for when he comes back since he knows 1000000x more about palms than me, but how do you know it isn't just because there aren't any planted even though there could be? Where the hotels/motels/etc are in Memphis is probably low end 8b or at least high end 8a, and in Dallas probably between 9a-9b or at least 8b/9a, from what he has said in other threads these seem fairly suitable.
That specific combination of palms looks like southern California.

The only large-ish palms I've seen in Memphis is windmill palms, some are growing palmettos but they are not large.

Dallas does have some large palmettos, it doesn't have washingtonias that large and queen palms would greatly struggle.

But this could easily be a scene from Florida(pics from Dallas).
Attached Thumbnails
What is a subtropical climate?-mls-14279095-1.jpg   What is a subtropical climate?-f079cc62cd0b443efb9c98d0af8e49ddl-m524956042od-w480_h360_x2.jpg  

Old 12-12-2022, 02:45 PM

2,828 posts, read 1,409,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB365 View Post
You interpreted it correctly ...I didn't write it as clearly as I could have ...
Toronto and Phildelphia are NOT in the same climate zone but
january temps are closer between Toronto and Philadelphia than
between Philadelphia and Orlando ...and yet Philadelphia and Orlando
are in the same climate zone as per Koppen....

With average january highs in the low 70s ....Orlando is a much different
climate than Philadelphis...average january highs in the low 40s ....
thats about a 30 degree difference... the difference between wearing a T-shirt
having fun in the sun vacationing in Orlando as compared to wearing a winter
jacket on a typical Philadelphia january day....

Toronto is colder than Philadelphia ...
Toronto average january high is about 29F at the airport to maybe 30-31F downtown...
about 10 to 12F colder than Philadelphia..,but not a 30 degree difference like Orlando is as compared to Philadelphia
30 degrees colder than Philadelphia would be Winnipeg.

Average january day....
Orlando...T-shirt
Savannah...sweater
Philadelphia...winter jacket
Toronto ...winter jacket and gloves
Winnipeg...winter parka..mitts and hat/hood
You're right about Orlando, as well as Toronto and Winnipeg, but Savannah definitely does not have sweater weather on the average January day, the highs at even the cold hole airport are 16.3 Celsius. Easily T-shirt weather like Orlando, it doesn't turn to sweater weather until the evening through morning when it gets down to 4.4-9 Celsius (less cold for the extreme low in downtown).
Conversely, Philadelphia's weather would be sweater weather instead of a winter jacket, it may be cool but it's not cold, at all. A winter jacket is overkill.

Speaking from experience this November and December experiencing temperatures akin to average January days at both. I especially liked the Savannah-like weather as a last shot of mild weather.

As for the rest, it comes down to the root causes like I said.

Old 12-12-2022, 02:47 PM

2,828 posts, read 1,409,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emman85 View Post
That specific combination of palms looks like southern California.

The only large-ish palms I've seen in Memphis is windmill palms, some are growing palmettos but they are not large.

Dallas does have some large palmettos, it doesn't have washingtonias that large and queen palms would greatly struggle.

But this could easily be a scene from Florida(pics from Dallas).
Those are some fabulous pics.

Old 12-12-2022, 03:02 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,667,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellatwy89 View Post
They obviously can be grown in Pennsylvania. They can't in Ontario
Lol! - maybe for a summer.

Quote:
Ah, yes, more arbitrary discounting of any subtropicals in the US (even if they're native) and boosting of any subtropicals seen in New Zealand.

The third picture is a mature palm tree. "Difficult to reach it's full potential"? Nonsense.
Subtropicals aren't really seen in NZ, so much as being the dominant vegetation in lowland areas.

The third photo of the Phoenix palm tree shows a very small palm- I'm guessing not many will reach full height there.

Old 12-12-2022, 03:08 PM

2,365 posts, read 1,853,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can't think of username View Post
You're right about Orlando, as well as Toronto and Winnipeg, but Savannah definitely does not have sweater weather on the average January day, the highs at even the cold hole airport are 16.3 Celsius. Easily T-shirt weather like Orlando, it doesn't turn to sweater weather until the evening through morning when it gets down to 4.4-9 Celsius (less cold for the extreme low in downtown).
Conversely, Philadelphia's weather would be sweater weather instead of a winter jacket, it may be cool but it's not cold, at all. A winter jacket is overkill.

Speaking from experience this November and December experiencing temperatures akin to average January days at both. I especially liked the Savannah-like weather as a last shot of mild weather.

As for the rest, it comes down to the root causes like I said.
Savannah's 4/16 average is long sleeves or sweatshirt weather to me depending on the time of day. Realistically it seems to jump around between jacket weather and t shirt weather . Sometimes within the same day. 2018 is a good example for that

Spoiler

Philadelphia, going by averages -2/5 I would be throwing on a jacket for days like that. If it gets hot can always unzip it. Toronto's -7/-1 puts it closer to Philly than Philly is to Savanah, especially those daytime highs. Toronto and Phlly averages don't seem that different to me. The -7 to -2 just means I might throw some gloves on in the morning to drive but the jacket style probably the same between -1 and 5 (assuming no snow in Toronto)

Old 12-12-2022, 03:10 PM

1,440 posts, read 2,540,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Or Pennsylvania

Thanks, I'll have a read when I get back from work.

Those Dallas palm photos tend to indicate that it's difficult for those species to reach their full potential there.
The Dallas Aquarium plants tropical palms as annuals every year (like the coconut pictured).

CIDP grows for a while in Dallas until a megafreeze kills some of them. There are a few survivors following a major freeze in 2021 (coldest since 1989).

There are no queen palms in Dallas, other than annuals and heavily protected small ones with an expiration date.

Even the majority of sabal palms died in Dallas in 2021. Most survivors (but not all) had some degree of protection from buildings. Sabal and to a lesser extent, Washingtonia filifera (California fan palm), are the only truly "hardy" arborescent palms in Dallas and can still be killed by a highly anomalous freeze.

Palms form a very minor part of the landscape in Dallas, you almost won't see them without actively searching. Nothing like Houston or San Antonio or even further south.

Old 12-12-2022, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellatwy89 View Post
1) Those palms are growing in autumn in that picture. Why can't you admit you're wrong? You're now asserting that you're an expert on the differences between the palm growing potential of Pennsylvania and Ontario, two regions you're not familiar with? Do you know the differences between the two in climate and environment? Why does Pennsylvania show potential for hardy palm trees and Ontario doesn't?
They look more like Washingtonia than Sabal, but I might be wrong.

Quote:
2) The palm is not "very small", and sabals hardly grow at all in New Zealand.
It's a Phoenix - sabals are a fan palm.

Sabals are new in NZ and I'd never seen one here until recently, but they make steady growth if they get enough water.

Quote:
Your posts are utterly inconsistent. Huh?
What else would you call species that put on growth spurts during winter, and can flower at any time of the year?

Old 12-12-2022, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asagi View Post
The Dallas Aquarium plants tropical palms as annuals every year (like the coconut pictured).

CIDP grows for a while in Dallas until a megafreeze kills some of them. There are a few survivors following a major freeze in 2021 (coldest since 1989).

There are no queen palms in Dallas, other than annuals and heavily protected small ones with an expiration date.

Even the majority of sabal palms died in Dallas in 2021. Most survivors (but not all) had some degree of protection from buildings. Sabal and to a lesser extent, Washingtonia filifera (California fan palm), are the only truly "hardy" arborescent palms in Dallas and can still be killed by a highly anomalous freeze.

Palms form a very minor part of the landscape in Dallas, you almost won't see them without actively searching. Nothing like Houston or San Antonio or even further south.
Yep, just as I thought - a great climate for many palms, 99% of the time.

The idea of climates that I regard as very warm, but with with few palms etc, form a distinct climate type that I've had in my own informal classification, for almost as long as I've been interested in climate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather