Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How warm must it at least be?
Warm summers with no variable snowpack in winter 33 19.64%
Hot summers with no variable snowpack in winter 50 29.76%
Chilly winters and warm summers 15 8.93%
Chilly winters and hot summers 29 17.26%
Not any of the above (please explain) 41 24.40%
Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2022, 01:03 PM

1,440 posts, read 2,544,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can't think of username View Post
Show me where I said anything about queen palms? I already told you I don't care whether they grow there or not, just saying that Dallas' hardiness zones seem very suitable to have palms planted by the motels or hotels taking what Emman85 says as reference.
There are many queen palms visible in the motel photo. So obviously can't be Dallas

Old 12-12-2022, 01:04 PM

5,749 posts, read 3,526,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
temp here is 18c ("tropical") at my house. Some possible freezes are in the forecast for this weekend.

Yes Miami and Atlanta are different each and every month of the year. Miami February average low is the same as our June average low(it's our favourite number tropical number 18 degrees). the difference a lot smaller in the summer though. That Atlanta number is pretty bogus though because it seems virtually every day in June is 18+ for the past five years I've been here, only a day or two if any will miss that mark
That right there is what I'm getting at. The cosmic difference between Atlanta and Miami comes about because of the cool season, not because of the warm season.

In this context, I still do not see the necessity of these proposed subtropical summer indices. The 22°C threshold is both simple and sufficient.

Last edited by Ed's Mountain; 12-12-2022 at 01:10 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 12-12-2022, 01:08 PM

2,834 posts, read 1,419,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asagi View Post
There are many queen palms visible in the motel photo. So obviously can't be Dallas
There are queen palms in the motel photo? Lol, I had no idea what palms those were, I was talking about ANY palms.

Surely you don't argue Dallas' 8b-9b areas are unsuitable for ANY palms?

Old 12-12-2022, 01:08 PM

5,749 posts, read 3,526,701 times
Quote:
Yep, that's the point that stands indeed. The cool season is why Atlanta is subtropical instead of tropical, and why Miami is warm enough to be tropical instead of subtropical.
So why all the time and energy spent to calculate a warm season subtropical index?

Old 12-12-2022, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed's Mountain View Post
So why all the time and energy spent to calculate a warm season subtropical index?
I'm with you on it now. I just saw your comment to Space League and I'm no longer undecided as to whether it's necessary.

Old 12-12-2022, 01:12 PM

1,440 posts, read 2,544,026 times
Quote:
There are queen palms in the motel photo? Lol, I had no idea what palms those were, I was talking about ANY palms.

Surely you don't argue Dallas' 8b-9b areas are unsuitable for ANY palms?
Certainly would look nothing like the Socal-esque scene in the motel photo. Moving the goalpost?

Old 12-12-2022, 01:18 PM

2,383 posts, read 1,863,528 times
Yeah I think it doesn't matter if a warm season is 22 or 32. I also don't think it matters if the place gets 2 weeks of -15 or 6 months of 15 or whatever. There's a difference between hardiness zone(which plants can grow naturally here) and tropical/subtropical/other categorization comes down to how much tropical weather the place gets. If it almost exclusively gets tropical weather, it's tropical. If it gets around half tropical weather, it's subtropical. If it gets far less than half tropical it's other.

Old 12-12-2022, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asagi View Post
Certainly would look nothing like the Socal-esque scene in the motel photo. Moving the goalpost?
What goalpost moving lol, my original premise was whether or not it was simply because of lack of palms planted instead of lack of suitability for them. That goalpost hasn't been moved and the number of palms won't move it either, a large number of a suitable species would look to me like that photo somewhat.

Why don't I leave this to experts like Emman85 from here.

Old 12-12-2022, 01:41 PM

2,391 posts, read 1,077,949 times
Quote:
Oh my gosh, you're right! I totally misread that comment, thought it was saying that no one argues that Philadelphia has the same climate.

Your comment is pretty spot on, thanks for catching that. Not to mention the lack of snowpack, cool instead of cold winters, and potential for winter heat Philadelphia has that Toronto absolutely does NOT.
You interpreted it correctly ...I didn't write it as clearly as I could have ...
Toronto and Phildelphia are NOT in the same climate zone but
january temps are closer between Toronto and Philadelphia than
between Philadelphia and Orlando ...and yet Philadelphia and Orlando
are in the same climate zone as per Koppen....

With average january highs in the low 70s ....Orlando is a much different
climate than Philadelphis...average january highs in the low 40s ....
thats about a 30 degree difference... the difference between wearing a T-shirt
having fun in the sun vacationing in Orlando as compared to wearing a winter
jacket on a typical Philadelphia january day....

Toronto is colder than Philadelphia ...
Toronto average january high is about 29F at the airport to maybe 30-31F downtown...
about 10 to 12F colder than Philadelphia..,but not a 30 degree difference like Orlando is as compared to Philadelphia
30 degrees colder than Philadelphia would be Winnipeg.

Average january day....
Orlando...T-shirt
Savannah...sweater
Philadelphia...winter jacket
Toronto ...winter jacket and gloves
Winnipeg...winter parka..mitts and hat/hood

Last edited by GTB365; 12-12-2022 at 01:49 PM..

Old 12-12-2022, 01:51 PM

1,554 posts, read 876,154 times
I'd say you need a hat in Toronto during winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather