Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How warm must it at least be?
Warm summers with no variable snowpack in winter 33 19.64%
Hot summers with no variable snowpack in winter 50 29.76%
Chilly winters and warm summers 15 8.93%
Chilly winters and hot summers 29 17.26%
Not any of the above (please explain) 41 24.40%
Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 12:29 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,404,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
In a climate, only a year can be subtropical, not just a particular season.
Really. Your summers certainly aren't subtropical so why is Australia and new Zealand considered subtropical. After all a year is supposed subtropical not one season.

Old 02-14-2016, 12:36 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,658,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
Really. Your summers certainly aren't subtropical so why is Australia and new Zealand considered subtropical. After all a year is supposed subtropical not one season.
I don't consider my climate subtropical, but not because of the summers. But because the year as whole, doesn't quite provide the conditions for what I consider a subtropical environment. About 10% of NZ fits subtropical environment criteria imo.

There isn't such a thing as a subtropical summer, just a subtropical climate. Talking about a subtropical winter or summer by itself, is just meaningless drivel.

Old 02-14-2016, 12:41 PM

13,481 posts, read 9,021,847 times
Quote:
I wasn't aware all of Australia & New Zealand were considered subtropical?

Old 02-14-2016, 12:42 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,454,351 times
What makes a subtropical climate meaningful? It's used as a term by people to mean lots of things, I don't get what makes it more meaningful than subtropical summer.

The Cfa climate groups climates that have fairly similar summer weather and synoptics but a wide range of winter patterns. So maybe it makes to describe that summer weather as "subtropical", or at least it's not any less meaningful than a "subtropical climate".

Old 02-14-2016, 12:55 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,404,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
I wasn't aware all of Australia & New Zealand were considered subtropical?
Didn't mean all of them just the good chunk of them that is considered subtropical still doesn't have tropical summers. A tropical summer to me must have highs of at least 84 on average with an average low of 68 at least. Don't care about the rain as there are dry summer subtropical climates. My point is you can exclude Mediterranean climates in Australia from being subtropical due to their summer just like you can do to American subtropical climates due to their winter.what I'm also trying to say is their are a wide range of subtropical climates that are all different and it would not be fair to exclude places in the east coast because of their different winter.

Old 02-14-2016, 01:05 PM

A climate is either subtropical or it isn't.

Talking about one season by itself, means nothing.

Old 02-14-2016, 01:14 PM

13,481 posts, read 9,021,847 times
Quote:
Didn't mean all of them just the good chunk of them that is considered subtropical still doesn't have tropical summers. A tropical summer to me must have highs of at least 84 on average with an average low of 68 at least. Don't care about the rain as there are dry summer subtropical climates. My point is you can exclude Mediterranean climates in Australia from being subtropical due to their summer just like you can do to American subtropical climates due to their winter.what I'm also trying to say is their are a wide range of subtropical climates that are all different and it would not be fair to exclude places in the east coast because of their different winter.
Which is why the whole year should be taken into account, not just summer, or winter... Although hot summers with cold winters to me are more continental, (granted some are not as not as extreme as some places in the US), so it would make as much sense to call them " mild humid continental" or "sub-continental" as "subtropical" as the bias is currently on their summers, rather than the whole year...

Old 02-14-2016, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
What makes a subtropical climate meaningful? It's used as a term by people to mean lots of things, I don't get what makes it more meaningful than subtropical summer.

The Cfa climate groups climates that have fairly similar summer weather and synoptics but a wide range of winter patterns. So maybe it makes to describe that summer weather as "subtropical", or at least it's not any less meaningful than a "subtropical climate".
What I mean, is that a season on it's own, can only be described as part of the climate group they're in.

Talking about climates that have subtropical winters, but not subtropical summers (or vice versa) is meaningless.

Old 02-14-2016, 09:41 PM

Subtropical has no value as the name for a type of climate, as the term already exists in common usage (geographical and flora/fauna), but doesn't align well with those other meanings.

Old 02-17-2016, 09:49 AM

1,076 posts, read 1,745,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Goosenseresworthie View Post
that would be the best case scenario for literally 150 miles or more in any direction (even to the south) because of UHI. taking the average of the metro, it would be less than 230. more like ~210.

no, you were trying to compare Altanta's growing season to NYC which, given the far inland location and higher elevation, isn't a particularly fair fight. now if NYC's growing season was for some reason longer than say Charleston, SC then i would do a double take but of course that is not the case.

but yes NYC ended up being higher than i expected. though i suspect Boston might be surprisingly high as well because there appears to be a small chunk of USDA 7a in the city due to UHI. of course it wouldn't be as high as NYC but i'm thinking in the densest part of the city it may peak around 200.

by what logic?? 4 months count as tropical, 5 months count as arctic.

lol i wouldn't say much closer, NYC (40.72°) is only ~295 miles (1° * 69 miles, 4.28°) from the halfway point between the equator and the north pole (45°). what would be the closest equivalent koppen subarctic climate to the equator? probably Yakutsk (62°), ~1173 miles (17°) north of the halfway point between the equator and the north pole... much further from the halfway point than NYC.

we aren't talking about which climate suits your fancy, its about objectively finding the best definition using factual data we have. part of that is coming to the root of the issue, what exactly does "subtropical" mean? it seems koppen's "subtropical" overlaps a number of areas around the world that are not only far away geographically from real tropical climates but also climatically share little in common with true tropical climates for the majority of the year. in other words, as an annual average they are not tropical. where the corresponding "subarctic" does not have this problem. all koppen subarctic climates are, as an annual average, arctic. this is fact. whether or not it has enough significance is debatable, but it is all factual. and anything that isn't factual will be corrected.

of course there won't be any conclusion when there are people giving up saying "entitled opinions" because they ran out of facts to talk about... the whole purpose of a debate is to exchange facts and reach a conclusion or compromise.

NYC, Philly, and DC are considered humid subtropical only by koppen...

Trewartha's definition makes all of them Temperate Continental...

if you want, you could say they are all borderline but you can't say one definition is firmly subtropical unless the other definition is considered firmly temperate continental.

and from the looks of it, NYC is held more firmly as Temperate Continental (2.3°F away from subtropical) under Trewartha's definition than it is held subtropical under koppen (0.7°F away from continental). i'm being silly now but even if you take the average of both definitions, NYC is continental.

i was just wondering about 235 in particular because i could not find that value... ahh, its on wikipedia...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geogra...k_City#Climate

though i imagine 235 would not be accurate as an average for the entire metro, especially going by this map:

hey going by that chart it is, well 183-203 and probably leaning closer to 203, maybe 195ish...

and looks like even a few parts of Long Island drop below 183.

and idk, looks like Manhattan falls under the 183-203 threshold, not sure whats up with that.

thats fine, but i can't imagine a scheme that makes more sense and also keeps NYC as subtropical...

kind of scary when you say a place at 51.5°N is more subtropical than a place that barely qualifies as subtropical under koppen and is located at 40.7°N...

also i would like to note, the method for calculating the growing season in the UK (daily highs less than 5°C for 5 days i think) is different from the US (first freeze) so it would be interesting to see how London's growing season measures up to NYC when using the US method. of course using one for the other won't make much sense given the anemic nature of the UK's climate.

because of the map above...

no they don't, because different parts of the city have a different building density and distance from the water.

though 235 might be a fair average, it would be for one of the warmer areas of the city, the average for the entire 5 boroughs is probably under 235.

no, it doesn't. Cincinnati is Humid Continental according to koppen (30.85°F on a 32°F threshold, 1.15°F under). technically Cincinnati is more Humid Continental than NYC is subtropical (32.6°F on a 32°F threshold, 0.6°F above) so yea my statement made sense... and that would be one of the warmest places in Ohio. i actually had Columbus in mind, which still has a slightly higher January record high than NYC.

i'm still not sure what you are getting at. are you saying there are no broadleaf evergreens native to the US South that aren't native to DC or NYC? ...because there are plenty (such as the Live Oak, hugging USDA 8b closely)

it would help to know why you believe something is the case...

no your point was that all of these broadleaf evergreens are also native to DC and NYC, turns out 2 of the 3 you mentioned weren't even evergreen... as for weather patterns, idk seems like NYC would be somewhere in between Virginia Beach and Chicago, leaning toward Virginia Beach mostly because it is after all geographically closer... (~325 miles vs ~750 miles)

yea my jaw dropped when i first saw the native range of the Red Maple.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acer_rubrum

its plants like this having massive ranges that make it difficult to classify the climate of regions such as the eastern US from a vegetation standpoint alone. because taking all of the plants into consideration, its a blur...
Trewartha climate classification make D.C. subtropical (almost 8 month has a mean of 10°C) and both of these classifications (Koppen and Trewartha) are not really perfect because they don't take account the climax vegetation which is a VERY important criteria to determine a climate. Washington D.C. climax vegetation is a mixture between subtropical and continental essence. In other words, Washington D.C. is the beginning of the US subtropical domain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather