Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2017, 02:17 PM

2,132 posts, read 1,370,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
False figures -common on wiki climate boxes.

Sunshine is 2147 hours, coldest month is 6.6C. Official Niwa stats.

There is no challenge to growing CIDP's in Christchurch, or Motueka, which has even colder minimums than Christchurch. There are other palms that grow here happily, that won't grow happily in the UK.

It's about 8C here at the moment, with sunny skies-can already feel the warmth of the sun, even at the low angle. By about 9:00am it will be pleasant enough to sit in the sun with my coffee and shorts/sleeves. -if you have trouble relating to that, then I think that is indicative of the differences between the respective climates, in a practical sense.

it says 7c and drizzle in the Church pmsl -thats the real story there lol .

your climate is a little better than the vast majority of that island - and 9am short sleeves >? well OK , i could say the same to you here when on odd days it is around 10c and sunny in Feb/Mar (not sure about 9am though ) - there is a small area of my garden that acts as a sun trap - but thats not the climate at work -that's the garden geography - sheltered position lol

i picked up on this in SW England when it was around that - it did feel warmish in the sun in the right sheltered spot - maybe reflection form the patio /buildings etc - thats prob what youre alluding to but you wouldn't feel that in an exposed field eg

make the most of any sun Joe - forecast of 10c and rain today in Moteuka acc to accuweather https://www.accuweather.com/en/nz/mo...weather/250497

Last edited by TorshavnSunHolidays; 08-20-2017 at 02:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2017, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
There are other palms that grow in Christchurch that will not grow anywhere in the UK, even the Scilly Isles. Syagrus romanzoffiana, the Queen palm is one example...
why do they not grow up this end flaming ?

Old 08-20-2017, 02:24 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,681,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorshavnSunHolidays View Post
it says 7c and drizzle in the Church pmsl -thats the real story there lol .

your climate is a little better than the vast majority of that island - and 9am short sleeves >? well OK , i could say the same to you here when on odd days it is around 10c and sunny in Feb/Mar (not sure about 9am though ) - there is a small area of my garden that acts as a sun trap - but thats not the climate at work -that's the garden geography - sheltered position lol

i picked up on this in SW England when it was around that - it did feel warmish in the sun in the right sheltered spot - maybe reflection form the patio /buildings etc - thats prob what youre alluding to but you wouldn't feel that in an exposed field eg
That's the difference in a nutshell. Sun here feels warm during winter days everywhere- no exceptions. That's why the kids are just heading the door now, in shorts, and with two of them in short sleeves.

7C and drizzle in Christchurch -sure, I can relate to that, happens here as well. Less likely to happen here though, than where you are.

Old 08-20-2017, 02:28 PM

13,485 posts, read 9,030,344 times
Quote:
why do they not grow up this end flaming ?
It just isn't warm enough, they need higher mean temperatures to put on growth. In the milder parts of the UK they survive the winter, but it takes so long for them to be "kicked" back into growth that by the time they start it cools down again. I tried growing several over the years, as have many others, they are just not suited to the UK climate unfortunately...

Old 08-20-2017, 02:29 PM

Quote:
That's the difference in a nutshell. Sun here feels warm during winter days everywhere- no exceptions. That's why the kids are just heading the door now, in shorts, and with two of them in short sleeves.

7C and drizzle in Christchurch -sure, I can relate to that, happens here as well. Less likely to happen here though, than where you are.
Motueka now says 7c and sunny ? i don't get how 7c and sunny feels properly warm in winter - what if it starts raining ? will the kids stay in shorts and shirt sleeves ?

Old 08-20-2017, 02:30 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,407,749 times
Quote:
Motueka now says 7c and sunny ? i don't get how 7c and sunny feels properly warm in winter - what if it starts raining ? will the kids stay in shorts and shirt sleeves ?
7c and sunny feels warm enough to me! Best believe ill be out in shorts and enjoying the birds and clear skies!

Old 08-20-2017, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
It just isn't warm enough, they need higher mean temperatures to put on growth. In the milder parts of the UK they survive the winter, but it takes so long for them to be "kicked" back into growth that by the time they start it cools down again. I tried growing several over the years, as have many others, they are just not suited to the UK climate unfortunately...
yet they grow in the Church which has the same mean temps as Portsmouth (acc to wiki) ?

Old 08-20-2017, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
7c and sunny feels warm enough to me! Best believe ill be out in shorts and enjoying the birds and clear skies!
well OK - what i'll do is wait for winter and when there is a day of 7- 10c and sunny (Nov/Dec/Jan) i will test the water and report .

I could be out of line with all this and prove myself wrong - it's just that i don't recall ever wanting to don a t shirt and shorts on such a day lol - normally jeans and a light top

Old 08-20-2017, 02:39 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,681,771 times
Quote:
It feels like 7C, but the sensation of the sun is warm even now.

It's hard to translate what climates are like in a real sense, beyond stats. That's why I find photos so interesting -because they say things about the climate, that stats might not fully convey. The kids will be fine - if it's northerly rain, the effect will be one of increased humidity, with no real drop in temperatures -what people call balminess. If it's a cold southerly rain, it will be brief, but very chilling -they have their school jersey in the their bag - never leave home without something warmer to wear.

Old 08-20-2017, 02:45 PM

Quote:
It feels like 7C, but the sensation of the sun is warm even now.

It's hard to translate what climates are like in a real sense, beyond stats. That's why I find photos so interesting -because they say things about the climate, that stats might not fully convey. The kids will be fine - if it's northerly rain, the effect will be one of increased humidity, with no real drop in temperatures -what people call balminess. If it's a cold southerly rain, it will be brief, but very chilling -they have their school jersey in the their bag - never leave home without something warmer to wear.

in winter time the sun is pretty low - so even if it felt warm at 7c you will find yourself walking in the shade of buidings / trees etc more often than not ,esp in city centres - then it will really feel cold .

In winter almost half the entire garden is buried by shade from various fencing and neighbouring houses - and half the street too is shady -in town the thoroughfare will be in complete shade - there is no way i would go out in shorts in Jan ,even if it felt warm in the sun lol .

you will have to take some pics if you get the chance and put on here Joe - more out of interest etc - and i'll do the same on a mild sunny day (winter )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather