Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 01:18 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,932,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamihurricane555 View Post
That is miami beach....

He is Canadian. They don't really know our geography. I knew it was East Coast FL. No offense Jets but the US is extremely varied. There are thousands of miles of sandy nice water beaches in the US. You just have to know where. I assume most Canadians don't go to beaches as I have really never heard of any that are accessible with sand and warm water. Even in the Philadelphia area, everyone has their favorite beach in Delaware or NJ as they are all different. I think Canadians are not nearly the beach goers that Americans are and that is understandable given the geography and climate of Canada.

Lea Island and Hutaff Island | North Carolina

Magical Beach Get-Away: Myrtle Beach, SC (Part 1) – journeyPod

Panoramio - Photo of tidal pool on horn island Mississippi

https://www.flickr.com/photos/770269...-ayHTup-ayHT5i

Enjoying the Gulf from Ship Island, Mississippi | | needle girl, haystack world

Lea-Hutaff Island North Carolina - The water felt like it was heated here it was so warm.

Not many know about West Ship Island, MS part of the Gulf Islands National Seashore - Beautiful

Cape Hatteras NC- Was here in June once and the water temp was upper 70's F.

Horn Island, MS

Texas has some real nice beaches - Mustang Island- Never been, but I plan on a trip someday.

Myrtle Beach, despite the development has nice water and beaches. Very warm water in summer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2014, 09:11 AM

6,908 posts, read 7,669,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
He is Canadian. They don't really know our geography. I knew it was East Coast FL. No offense Jets but the US is extremely varied. There are thousands of miles of sandy nice water beaches in the US. You just have to know where. I assume most Canadians don't go to beaches as I have really never heard of any that are accessible with sand and warm water. Even in the Philadelphia area, everyone has their favorite beach in Delaware or NJ as they are all different. I think Canadians are not nearly the beach goers that Americans are and that is understandable given the geography and climate of Canada.

Lea Island and Hutaff Island | North Carolina

Panoramio - Photo of tidal pool on horn island Mississippi

https://www.flickr.com/photos/770269...-ayHTup-ayHT5i

Enjoying the Gulf from Ship Island, Mississippi | | needle girl, haystack world

Lea-Hutaff Island North Carolina - The water felt like it was heated here it was so warm.

Not many know about West Ship Island, MS part of the Gulf Islands National Seashore - Beautiful

Cape Hatteras NC- Was here in June once and the water temp was upper 70's F.

Horn Island, MS

Texas has some real nice beaches - Mustang Island- Never been, but I plan on a trip someday.

Myrtle Beach, despite the development has nice water and beaches. Very warm water in summer.

I have been to quite a few places, I really do not like sitting home or staying here when it is all flat prairie.

I have been on the entire west coast before Vancouver-panama. East coast I have just been Jacksonville south to Miami. As far as geography, I probably know more about places other than where I live than back here. Label every state on a map, label any Australian city etc.

Never got around to mid-Atlantic yet, but I would love to.

Old 03-27-2014, 03:31 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,669,870 times
Some pics from end of march/early april one year, gulf side of FL:

Old 03-27-2014, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsNHL View Post
Some pics from end of march/early april one year, gulf side of FL:

I prefer East Coast Florida beaches due to the Gulf Stream and warmer water in winter. I don't think the surf temp in Southeast FL this winter went below 75F. While Naples, FL probably bottomed out in the upper 60's F.

Old 03-27-2014, 04:35 PM

140 posts, read 278,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsNHL View Post
Perth's beaches are better.
I will back you up on that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
The ocean tends to be warmer, so I'd agree. If you look at this map of ocean currents, you'll see a general clockwise circulation in the Northern Hemisphere, bringing warmer ocean water to the east coasts of continents and colder water to the west costs. In the Southern Hemisphere, this circulation is counterclockwise, and thus has the same effect with respect to east-west continental orientation.
In Western Australia there is the Leeuwin Current, a shallow surface warm current from the north (often postulated to be an extension of the East Australia warm current) which results in WA beach waters being warmer than a west coast would normally be. It also means WA doesn't get the fogs that other west coasts do.

Old 03-27-2014, 05:55 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,707,457 times
Best beaches in the US are neither on the east or west coasts IMO but rather in Hawaii. Warmer water in winter with beautiful scenery plus almost no chance of hurricanes in summer. Perfection

Old 03-27-2014, 08:45 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,435,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jehane View Post
In Western Australia there is the Leeuwin Current, a shallow surface warm current from the north (often postulated to be an extension of the East Australia warm current) which results in WA beach waters being warmer than a west coast would normally be. It also means WA doesn't get the fogs that other west coasts do.
That's interesting. But yeah, it's a general circulation, so of course there are local exceptions.

Old 03-27-2014, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jehane View Post
I will back you up on that one.

The map of ocean currents in post #11 shows a cold current running up from Antarctica along W. Australia. What happens to that current, and why doesn't it greatly cool the waters along Perth beaches?

Old 03-27-2014, 09:17 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,211,423 times
Regardless of location, my trip to the beach is incomplete without Cornetto ice cream. Oh, its so yummy :

Old 03-28-2014, 07:49 PM

513 posts, read 914,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Best beaches in the US are neither on the east or west coasts IMO but rather in Hawaii. Warmer water in winter with beautiful scenery plus almost no chance of hurricanes in summer. Perfection
I 100% agree! And I'll be in Maui very soon for 2 glorious weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather