Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 11:56 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,756,796 times

Advertisements

Obviously it is much colder than Sochi. Probably not a lot of snow though.

Zhangjiakou - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2014, 12:31 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,701,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Obviously it is much colder than Sochi. Probably not a lot of snow though.

Zhangjiakou - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Imagine if Sanya put in a bid for the Winter Olympics instead
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanya#Climate

Old 02-23-2014, 12:35 AM

3,801 posts, read 2,996,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Imagine if Sanya put in a bid for the Winter Olympics instead
Sanya - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Probably the only true tropical climate in China.
On the original suggestion, looks high enough and cold enough, with mountains higher than anywhere here in Oz (our highest mountain is a pimple on the world scale though), so a definite chance.

Old 02-23-2014, 12:41 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,701,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
Probably the only true tropical climate in China.
On the original suggestion, looks high enough and cold enough, with mountains higher than anywhere here in Oz (our highest mountain is a pimple on the world scale though), so a definite chance.
Do you think Thredbo or Charlotte Pass have enough snow in winter realistically to have alpine and cross country ski events?

Old 02-23-2014, 01:17 AM

735 posts, read 654,757 times
This place probably gets 15 inches of snow a year. Silly China.

Even up higher it probably gets low amounts due to the near non-existant percip in winter. At least the mountains around Sochi get lots of it.

Old 02-23-2014, 01:21 AM

3,801 posts, read 2,996,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Do you think Thredbo or Charlotte Pass have enough snow in winter realistically to have alpine and cross country ski events?
Snow making maybe? But probably not, global warming is to blame!
Our neighbours across the Tasman though could definitely do it, along with the odd adrenaline junkie activity to boot.

Old 02-23-2014, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeppelin171 View Post
This place probably gets 15 inches of snow a year. Silly China.

Even up higher it probably gets low amounts due to the near non-existant percip in winter. At least the mountains around Sochi get lots of it.
Rumor says Harbin wants to bid (they held Asian winter games before), but IOC said it is too cold.

I consider Kangding a better choice:
Kangding - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-23-2014, 05:41 AM

11,298 posts, read 18,885,525 times
I don't think this is new, I had heard about Beijing (which Wikipedia says this city borders) planning to bid for the 2022 Winter Olympics, which if it won would make it the first city to host both Summer and Winter games (Munich has recently made bids in recent Olympics to become that as well).

It would be interesting, as right now the bidders are Krakow, Poland (with some events in neighboring Slovakia, supposedly the front runner as its a European region that hasn't had a Winter Games, though the IOC tends to frown on two country Games), Lviv, Ukraine (recent events have probably made it impossible for the IOC to consider a Games there right now, and perhaps with the unrest they are going to pull their bid) and a resort in Kazhakstan (IOC tends to frown on "new" countries, especially in areas it views as "Third World", think of how long it took to get a Games in South America and there still hasn't been one in Africa or the Middle East......some thought Istanbul was getting the 2020 Summer Games for just that reason but they went with 'stability' and took Tokyo, who has hosted a Games before).

This thread notes the Beijing bid (which is what I think this really is), and also claims Oslo, Norway is bidding, which in my view would make it the front runner for the same reasons Tokyo won the 2020 Summer Games:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/sport...-olympics.html

Old 02-23-2014, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
I don't think this is new, I had heard about Beijing (which Wikipedia says this city borders) planning to bid for the 2022 Winter Olympics, which if it won would make it the first city to host both Summer and Winter games (Munich has recently made bids in recent Olympics to become that as well).

It would be interesting, as right now the bidders are Krakow, Poland (with some events in neighboring Slovakia, supposedly the front runner as its a European region that hasn't had a Winter Games, though the IOC tends to frown on two country Games), Lviv, Ukraine (recent events have probably made it impossible for the IOC to consider a Games there right now, and perhaps with the unrest they are going to pull their bid) and a resort in Kazhakstan (IOC tends to frown on "new" countries, especially in areas it views as "Third World", think of how long it took to get a Games in South America and there still hasn't been one in Africa or the Middle East......some thought Istanbul was getting the 2020 Summer Games for just that reason but they went with 'stability' and took Tokyo, who has hosted a Games before).

This thread notes the Beijing bid (which is what I think this really is), and also claims Oslo, Norway is bidding, which in my view would make it the front runner for the same reasons Tokyo won the 2020 Summer Games:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/sport...-olympics.html
Beijing is very close to Zhangjiakou. They can be considered the same.

Old 02-23-2014, 07:49 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,678,811 times
I doubt China will win the rights for 2022, I have a thread on those Games. Oslo, Krakow, and Almaty are the sensible choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather