Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2016, 04:59 AM

29,533 posts, read 19,626,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
Weatheronline has come onboard now with the majority of the models for next week, showing a couple of 30c days. The worst model is showing highs of 28c, while the best has temps up to 35c.
Yup

https://twitter.com/RGSweather/statu...12540020912128

Old 08-19-2016, 07:13 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,029,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
This. I can't believe that there are travel guides that seriously tell people to pack umbrellas and rain boots when visiting London, yet tell visitors to Paris to bring tshirts, shorts and sunnies!

Paris gets the equivalent of an extra 2-3 sunny days per year, and you're more likely to get rained/drizzled on there as well.

I do think some on here honestly believe that we find 25c 'hot'. I remember creating a thread last summer about the first 80f day, and Botev said it would be a case of 'if' rather than 'when', despite the fact that we get around 15-20 such days per year and have never in recorded history not seen 80f in summer. Then once it happened, Kew Gardens was no longer in London (anything to deny the fact that 80f had been reached).
You can tell foreign visitors in London easily, they are nearly always way overdressed the idiots, too busy listening to ridiculous stereotypes than reality! Often they have brightly coloured raincoats tied around their waists along with their sweater, usually the foreign visitors are the very sweaty people on the London underground lol! Incidently I have a wonderful tan this year, just spent the last few weekends on the beaches at Brighton, Eastbourne, Bognor and Ramsgate (didn't realise Ramsgate had such a lovely beach) I don't know why everybody keeps claiming the weather here is horrendous? It is a bit windy and rainy today though, looks like this weekend will be somewhere other than a beach BUT next week I am not working and it looks to me like more trips to the beach for me (temps between 21 and 25 seem fine enough for the hundreds of people that have been sharing the beach with me, many foreign, particularly in Brighton)! I have spent most of my time off since the beginning of July at the beach, by the end of next week I would perhaps have had my 'fill' for the year. Really in the UK mid June to mid September is the only time you can do the beach 'thing' but anybody that claims you don't get a 'beach life' in the UK at all simply don't know what they are talking about! Enough of this constant UK weather bashing! The weather here is really rather pleasant for most of the year, why can't people go off and harp on about weather elsewhere for a change?

Old 08-19-2016, 07:44 AM

^^

Yes, you can go to the beach in the UK during the summer, but 21-24C temps with 18C (those are London's averages, and are the warmest part of the UK) water temperatures is not my ideal of summer beach weather.

Old 08-19-2016, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
^^

Yes, you can go to the beach in the UK during the summer, but 21-24C temps with 18C (those are London's averages, and are the warmest part of the UK) water temperatures is not my ideal of summer beach weather.
What you think doesn't change the fact that thousands of foreign tourists like sitting on the beach or swimming in the sea at Brighton! In fact you have got to see the crowds on Brighton beach to believe it! The place has been 'rammed', perhaps its just as well you don't come and visit too, there is not enough room!

Old 08-19-2016, 08:10 AM

6,344 posts, read 4,407,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
What you think doesn't change the fact that thousands of foreign tourists like sitting on the beach or swimming in the sea at Brighton! In fact you have got to see the crowds on Brighton beach to believe it! The place has been 'rammed', perhaps its just as well you don't come and visit too, there is not enough room!
How do you know that they are all foreign tourists? UK has many ethnicities residing in that area. I doubt too many people are swimming in the sea at 18c. I'm sure there is a sizeable group but most people won't go further than the beach where the waves crash in waters that cold. I have been to the beach during spring break when water Temps are similar, apart from a few brave warriors including my self who go out far despite the cold water most people don't even go further than the surf like I said, even then most people are avoiding the surf too.

Old 08-19-2016, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
How do you know that they are all foreign tourists? UK has many ethnicities residing in that area. I doubt too many people are swimming in the sea at 18c. I'm sure there is a sizeable group but most people won't go further than the beach where the waves crash in waters that cold. I have been to the beach during spring break when water Temps are similar, apart from a few brave warriors including my self who go out far despite the cold water most people don't even go further than the surf like I said, even then most people are avoiding the surf too.
I know because I live here! I'm there regularly! Brighton has thousands of foreign tourists, I hear them, see them, speak to them, sit and eat (yes al-fresco) with them, see their coaches, speak to them WHILE swimming in the sea, there is a very sizeable contingent of foreign exchange students there too, yes they swim in the sea too!

Old 08-19-2016, 08:18 AM

Incidently I work with a Brazilian man who camped with his Brazilian wife, kids and Brazilian mother in law in Cornwall in July, he swam the sea, sat on the beach and told me it was like paradise - I kid you not! ToThe simply dismiss the UK as having a 'summer' is rubbish! The meditteranean or Florida it may not be but to claim the weather is too bad for a beach, a sit in the park or a barbeque in the garden is nonsense.

Old 08-19-2016, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Yup, all those Greek and Italian tourists will leave their countries to go all the way up to England for the sole purpose of experiencing British beach weather We all know it's the other way around. It's Greek and Italian beaches that are jammed packed with Northern Europeans each and every summer. And we all know why. They have proper summer weather, and most of the time Northern Europe does not.

I've been to London before in June of 2000. The last thing on my mind was to head to the beach. lol

Old 08-19-2016, 09:55 AM

6,517 posts, read 5,818,168 times
You talk utter ****. Foreigners swim in the sea in Brighton?!

Troll off.

Old 08-19-2016, 10:01 AM

2,258 posts, read 1,304,279 times
I tired to swim in late August in 2013 at Folkestone, almost impossible and I like trying to push through the cold. From memory I was in the water for 3-5 minutes and had to get out quickly. It's just too cold for long periods of time, although not too bad for a quick dip. Basically everyone was on the sand, two or three waded to knee high (this is from memory).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather