Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2014, 10:43 AM

29 posts, read 24,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
First nei surprises me, now you're saying you don't want hot temps?? lol I guess the impression has been all wrong all along.

Personally, to be honest... I think we stay volatile. I think the general upper flow will be southwest or west, the mid level will fluctuate a lot more and will be northwest, west, south and southeast at times.

One thing I keep wanting to rule out is a southeast surface flow. I don't see the Bermuda High a big factor this year. Which means humidity stays at bay.

Here's the current setup at the mid levels.

1. How is a ridge or Bermuda high going to setup with these troughs and ULLs around?

2. You can see why north of Virginia is under the unsettled cooler influence not just because of clouds. Follow the flow from Canada to Kentucky and Northeast. Meanwhile Virginia southward "had" that warm Southwest flow hence the 80s/90s

3. Low over Northeast Minnesota and Upper Low in Atlantic will move out and the return southwest flow comes and hits us...hence the warm up this weekend and next..

4. It's interesting to see this setup as I mentioned last week.. it's not a warm season setup.

5. Bottom line, there's been no pronounced or persistent ridge anywhere lately. Kind of a mess with swings in both directions.

Even my theory on a central ridge this summer is getting squashed lately. I think it pops back up as soon as the pattern relaxes. I still say the true heat will be in central U.S.

Did I babble too much? lol
I think we are overthinking this a little. Summer is suppose to be a fun time. Pools, beaches, cookouts, vacations, summer nights, patio activities, and just good ole fun in the sun! I feel like some of you are spending too much time indoors praying for fall/winter when you are going to look back and wish you had enjoyed summer more. Especially for you people in the midwest and northeast that only get a few summer months each year before you go back to below freezing for 4 months. I think it is just hard to see people bashing/running down/minimizing a season that brings me so much joy and happiness. Maybe it is just the Texas in me from growing up with fond memories of summer and a high tolerance for heat. Remember guys, winter will be back. It is the cycle of life. Summer, fall, winter, spring. We have 4 seasons (always have, always will).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2014, 10:54 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,813,132 times
^^ Junior Member in action again... Yeah, welcome to the forums, I guess.

But, but:

What on earth is happening here again? Arctic blast supposed to last for a week...

Today is the annual Helsinki day, and what a coincidence: coldest capital in Europe today (with Tallinn), and one of the coldest spots overall in Europe too. Temp peaked at 15C... at 3am.

Old 06-12-2014, 11:01 AM

29 posts, read 24,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post

But, but:

What on earth is happening here again? Arctic blast supposed to last for a week...

Today is the annual Helsinki day, and what a coincidence: coldest capital in Europe today (with Tallinn), and one of the coldest spots overall in Europe too. Temp peaked at 15C... at 3am.
Junior member, nope. Formerly $DFW8$. Surely you remember me from all my nasty exchanges with Cambium and Chocagogeorge over the past few months. We definitely have our good and bad moments...i think it is because of how passionate we are about warm weather (me) and cold weather (Cambium all year and Chicagogeorge in the winter).

Old 06-12-2014, 11:09 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,881,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post

But, but:

Seriously?! WOW thats so cold.

You know we have had worse than that.. for a long time.
Decoded synop reports

Old 06-12-2014, 11:17 AM

1,004 posts, read 1,161,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasguy14 View Post
Junior member, nope. Formerly $DFW8$. Surely you remember me from all my nasty exchanges with Cambium and Chocagogeorge over the past few months. We definitely have our good and bad moments...i think it is because of how passionate we are about warm weather (me) and cold weather (Cambium all year and Chicagogeorge in the winter).
If any of the posts were nasty I'm sure moderator action would have occurred. It appears to me that wasn't the case.

Old 06-12-2014, 11:25 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,932,594 times
Quote:
First nei surprises me, now you're saying you don't want hot temps?? lol I guess the impression has been all wrong all along.

Personally, to be honest... I think we stay volatile. I think the general upper flow will be southwest or west, the mid level will fluctuate a lot more and will be northwest, west, south and southeast at times.

One thing I keep wanting to rule out is a southeast surface flow. I don't see the Bermuda High a big factor this year. Which means humidity stays at bay.

1. How is a ridge or Bermuda high going to setup with these troughs and ULLs around?

2. You can see why north of Virginia is under the unsettled cooler influence not just because of clouds. Follow the flow from Canada to Kentucky and Northeast. Meanwhile Virginia southward "had" that warm Southwest flow hence the 80s/90s

3. Low over Northeast Minnesota and Upper Low in Atlantic will move out and the return southwest flow comes and hits us...hence the warm up this weekend and next..

4. It's interesting to see this setup as I mentioned last week.. it's not a warm season setup.

5. Bottom line, there's been no pronounced or persistent ridge anywhere lately. Kind of a mess with swings in both directions.

Even my theory on a central ridge this summer is getting squashed lately. I think it pops back up as soon as the pattern relaxes. I still say the true heat will be in central U.S.

Interesting. I like stable temps in winter meaning I am perfectly fine with our average temps. Same for summer. I don't like extreme swings either way. In summer I much prefer our average temps over 90-95F with southwest winds.

A Bermuda high almost always gives us heat and southwest winds at the surface. I should have been more specific and stated I meant winds at the surface. The way the Bermuda high usually sets up gives us winds wrapping up here from the Carolinas (SW). Nothing I dislike more in summer than a hot land breeze at the beach or in the city.

I was hoping that a cooler summer would mean winds out of the north, northeast, or southeast. Those all usually give us great beach days in July and August. NW winds are okay if they are around 10mph cause then the sea breeze overwhelms it. Nothing overwhelms the dreaded SW winds. They just leave us with hazy white skies and 90F+. Am not a fan.

Old 06-12-2014, 11:33 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,932,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasguy14 View Post
I think we are overthinking this a little. Summer is suppose to be a fun time. Pools, beaches, cookouts, vacations, summer nights, patio activities, and just good ole fun in the sun! I feel like some of you are spending too much time indoors praying for fall/winter when you are going to look back and wish you had enjoyed summer more. Especially for you people in the midwest and northeast that only get a few summer months each year before you go back to below freezing for 4 months. I think it is just hard to see people bashing/running down/minimizing a season that brings me so much joy and happiness. Maybe it is just the Texas in me from growing up with fond memories of summer and a high tolerance for heat. Remember guys, winter will be back. It is the cycle of life. Summer, fall, winter, spring. We have 4 seasons (always have, always will).

I love summer. I just am a fan of stable temperatures. Not many on here seem to like few temp swings like I do. I don't like 90F+ temps in summer. Maybe you are more used to it growing up in Texas.

Our avg July high temp here is 87F. Growing up around here my summer memories are of sunny days with 80-90F and thunderstorms thrown in. You can usually count on that for June, July and August. Plenty enough warm to enjoy summer. I don't need 95F to feel like summer.

Old 06-12-2014, 11:41 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,211,423 times
I am loving the cool nights and comfortably warm days right now, but lack of sun makes me feel a bit glum. This weekend is perfect for summer. Next week is sunny, but too hot. The weather I like for summer is sunny & warm days with breezy chilly nights.

Dallas is roasting in the days to come, as expected. Someone here is happy.

Old 06-12-2014, 11:47 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:

Interesting read. I take it last year we had a stuck Bermuda high?

Old 06-12-2014, 12:15 PM

83,520 posts, read 75,333,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
I was hoping that a cooler summer would mean winds out of the north, northeast, or southeast. Those all usually give us great beach days in July and August. NW winds are okay if they are around 10mph cause then the sea breeze overwhelms it. Nothing overwhelms the dreaded SW winds. They just leave us with hazy white skies and 90F+. Am not a fan.
What we've been seeing this Spring will continue. So a NorthWest Atlantic trough which means many days with a NorthWest, North, Northeast flow for us. Very hard to a get a southeast flow with the trough there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Interesting read. I take it last year we had a stuck Bermuda high?
Yup...was looking back at my files/maps and saw it started end of June. Which was when the 70+ dewpoints started as well.. The Atlantic "ridge" shifted west into us, Bermuda High setup.. Look at the July 3rd post & map. HUGE ridge but take note, there was a trough in central U.S. Look at the flow into us.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/30314131-post1071.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather