Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2015, 08:15 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,248,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
The "winner-take-all" structure of our system is the reason third parties are all but useless.
Voting for third parties could threaten that system, but unfortunately big money and apathetic/ignorant masses will prevent that from happening.

Old 05-04-2015, 08:16 PM
nei nei started this thread nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,595,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
They are slightly better now than when Blair was there, I agree.. still a lot different to the old Labour of the 70s/80s though. Still, I prefer them to the tories.. but imagine this man leading our country!
I probably wouldn't like his views, but I imagine having Boris Johnson as prime minister would be entertaining.

https://twitter.com/jbarro/status/590264978466328576

Old 05-04-2015, 08:17 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,472,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
My intention wasn't to generalize women, but there's a clear and obvious difference between the way women show interest vs. men. Of course there's womem that are straight-forward, but make the assumption that all guys want is sex so are a little weary on showing interest.
I've done nothing to imply that but thanks to ****ing feminism I'm seen as a sex addict with no feelings until proving otherwise.

Old 05-04-2015, 08:18 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,628,507 times
Boris comes across as a harmless goof but I don't trust the man as far as I can throw him. Would be a nightmare.

Old 05-04-2015, 08:18 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,453,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Voting for third parties could threaten that system, but unfortunately big money and apathetic/ignorant masses will prevent that from happening.
If you want to see what the powers that be do to parties that threaten them, look no further than the situation with Golden Dawn in Greece.

Old 05-04-2015, 08:20 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,628,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
If you want to see what the powers that be do to parties that threaten them, look no further than the situation with Golden Dawn in Greece.
Golden Dawn is a fascist, neo-Nazi party (their leader is a self-confessed racist). They seem similar to the National Front here in the UK which has all but faded into obscurity because of their ultra-racist views and policies.

Old 05-04-2015, 08:26 PM

9,264 posts, read 7,422,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
The nice thing about a district system is that the representatives are connected to the district and care about local issues. One puzzling thing about the British system is that MPs aren't required to be from the district, doesn't that defeat the point of having a representative?

I think the ideological gap between American parties is larger, though as the article said, that's a rather recent thing. American parties used to rather ideologically diverse within the party, and congress votes would breakdown as much on regional lines as party lines.

Yes that's true.. I am not sure about the MPs having to be from the district - I would have to look that up. Local representatives don't really change much anyway though, they cover such a small area that they hardly have much power at all.

Regarding Boris - I don't think he'd ever get the chance to become prime minister.. it would be funny, but I don't think he is suited to the job at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Aw, I like Ed. Seems like a nice guy. Cameron comes across as a total sleaze - and is probably a sociopath. Plus, Cameron is a diplomatic nightmare - continuously isolating the UK within Europe and refusing to cooperate. Even though I dislike the SNP due to their nationalist obsession, I'd happily support a Lab/SNP coalition just to get the Tories out of power.

Yes, I suppose it does, and people complain about it a lot. The MP for my constituency was born in Scotland, but he has been based in Leeds for the past part of 4 decades now, and was actully the City Council leader in the 1980s. I think a candidate should at least be based in the city/region they want to represent, for a number of years.

The MP of my constituency actually helped my mother receive larger social housing in the 1990s when I was a child.
I like Ed Milliband as a person.. I think he is certainly a nice guy, same with Nick Clegg. But are they strong enough to run a country? I'm not sure.. Cameron can come across like that, but he has the face and strength to run a country I feel (not that I would vote for him)

I voted lib dem, my best hope is for a Labour/lib dem coalition - that would be OK I think..

Old 05-04-2015, 11:07 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,387,909 times
Just came across the stupidest lesbian I've ever met on my FB a few minutes ago. She made a status claiming that women "turn" lesbian because guys are such dogs and that we should be ashamed of ourselves blah blah blah, and that so many guys call her ugly because they're mad she's lesbian.

First off: Any woman that "turns" lesbian simply because she's bitter towards men and wants to stick it to them is NOT an actual lesbian period!! The complete opposite actually, she is so depraved of male attention that she think this will get it.

Second: If you're lesbian, it means that you're not attracted nor do you pursue males, so why the hell does it matter so much to this person that men are "dogs" if pursuing men is completely irrelevant to her? A real lesbian wouldn't care nor make a status about this.

Third: The person in question here is very gross-looking. I doubt many guys are "mad" that she's lesbian. Get over yourself

Sorry for the rant, and I'm sure many of you will find this stupid, but ignorant people like this **** me off so much

Old 05-05-2015, 12:06 AM

16,191 posts, read 11,387,909 times
I know this topic has been discussed numerous times before, so my apologies for bringing it up again. It just astounds me that someone can be this pretentious

Old 05-05-2015, 12:58 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,619,748 times
My preferred voting system would be to rank all the candidates say from 1 to 5. The candidate with the lowest number of votes is eliminated and then the votes of those voters are reallocated among the remaining 4 candidates, and so on (similar to how an Olympic host city is chosen).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather