Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2015, 12:27 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,395,517 times

Advertisements

Wasp in my room again yet i never opened my window.

Old 05-09-2015, 12:31 PM

3,212 posts, read 3,181,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
True... well I work for a government agency and there have been a lot of cutbacks lately with this Conservative government we have here. A lot of people have lost their jobs. Of course I wish I could live in a tropical place and have a decent job. I have an education background and could go teach in the tropical parts of Asia but like I said wife doesn't want to go She'd rather stay in Canada

Sorry to hear about your circumstances and your possible relocation.
Is there any chance you could to a place in Asia with a large community of Americans/Canadians/Brits expats or temporaries living in close quarters so your wife won't suffer massive culture shock/isolation? (I think that's what she's afraid of).

Or is there any option of both of you seeking employment on a major cruise line working directly on the ship for a year or two. That way you get to travel the world (mostly in tropical locations!) in first rate accommodations and get paid for it too! But you both need a either a specific marketable skill (as a tour guide, director of specific activity, logistics coordinator, etc) or might have to settle for menial labor on board.

Last edited by ABrandNewWorld; 05-09-2015 at 12:47 PM..

Old 05-09-2015, 01:15 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,395,517 times
The Tories also intend to publish plans to scrap the Human Rights Act within their first 100 days.

Old 05-09-2015, 01:45 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,727,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrandNewWorld View Post
Sorry to hear about your circumstances and your possible relocation.
Is there any chance you could to a place in Asia with a large community of Americans/Canadians/Brits expats or temporaries living in close quarters so your wife won't suffer massive culture shock/isolation? (I think that's what she's afraid of).

Or is there any option of both of you seeking employment on a major cruise line working directly on the ship for a year or two. That way you get to travel the world (mostly in tropical locations!) in first rate accommodations and get paid for it too! But you both need a either a specific marketable skill (as a tour guide, director of specific activity, logistics coordinator, etc) or might have to settle for menial labor on board.
Cruise ship is not a bad idea but heard that it's hard to get a job as there is lots of competition. My wife is indeed afraid of culture shock. She hasn't travelled much and I've tried to help as much as I can but there is only so much I can do. I'm hoping that even if I have to relocate to Ottawa which is fairly cheap, I can travel with her to a lot of places around the world for her to see she doesn't have to be afraid and it might open her mind to living abroad in the future.

Old 05-09-2015, 02:00 PM

3,212 posts, read 3,181,505 times
Quote:
Cruise ship is not a bad idea but heard that it's hard to get a job as there is lots of competition. My wife is indeed afraid of culture shock. She hasn't travelled much and I've tried to help as much as I can but there is only so much I can do. I'm hoping that even if I have to relocate to Ottawa which is fairly cheap, I can travel with her to a lot of places around the world for her to see she doesn't have to be afraid and it might open her mind to living abroad in the future.
What if you were to take a two week vacation to Thailand (or whatever country you'd desire to teach in) before deciding together? Would she be willing to compromise? I think there is a decent sized American ex-pat community in Bangkok along with all the amenities that we have here. I would have also suggested Tokyo if you want a clean, extremely safe, high first world standard of living but their winters might be too cold for you. BTW- do you actually prefer teaching ESL to your current government job or is this decision solely based on climate or is it also based on the desire for adventure/something exotic?

Old 05-09-2015, 02:02 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,467,647 times
Quote:
My wife is indeed afraid of culture shock.
If you can find jobs in Thailand or Taiwan, surely there's somewhere you could teach in Florida?

Old 05-09-2015, 02:35 PM

7,668 posts, read 5,267,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Neither do I. Except India. Or maybe not live there either, too crowded and dirty, but I'd love to explore India. Luckily the BBC sends documentaries about it all the time.
Well its so far away from home for one and secondly it is a MASSIVE culture shock, Asian countries don't even believe in the same spirits e.g. God etc.

Definitely too much for me.

Old 05-09-2015, 05:01 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,382,515 times
Just got chased inside by as big ass bumblebee I was just chilling on my porch too having a few beers. Oh well.

Old 05-09-2015, 05:17 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,966,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickandtiredofthis View Post
Well its so far away from home for one and secondly it is a MASSIVE culture shock, Asian countries don't even believe in the same spirits e.g. God etc.

Definitely too much for me.
What?? The Philippines is a Catholic country, even more Catholic than Ireland. Secondly, South Korea, China and Japan are atheist countries, though South Korea has a very large Christian population. Most of Southeast Asia is Muslim. Islam is the largest religion east of India

Quote:
Wow dude. I think we are sharing wives here my wife is EXACTLY the same way. Luckily she still has the travel bug in her, and I'm going to nurture that inside her. If the UK ops out of the whole EU like Switzerland, and the EU decides to not grant the UK freedom of movement (ergo, there goes our plan of moving to Spain in the future), at least if she opens her mind up, we can try to find jobs in Australia.

Old 05-09-2015, 05:47 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,727,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrandNewWorld View Post
What if you were to take a two week vacation to Thailand (or whatever country you'd desire to teach in) before deciding together? Would she be willing to compromise? I think there is a decent sized American ex-pat community in Bangkok along with all the amenities that we have here. I would have also suggested Tokyo if you want a clean, extremely safe, high first world standard of living but their winters might be too cold for you. BTW- do you actually prefer teaching ESL to your current government job or is this decision solely based on climate or is it also based on the desire for adventure/something exotic?
Good ideas. I think I'll take her to Asia to start with and go from there. Overall I prefer my government job for more stability compared to ESL. I did ESL before and while I miss the job itself, I found the hours and income too unstable. At least that has been my experience in the past. If I f find a good school, my experience could be totally different. I would consider going back into ESL just so I could live in the tropics provided also I could get something more stable
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather