Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2014, 05:11 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,696,512 times

Advertisements

Would you pay £793 ($1333 / €976) a month for this?

Studio flat to rent in Russell Street, Leeds, LS1, LS1

It's a student letting in the heart of the city, which has shared lounge/communal area. Seems stupidly priced. There are much larger apartments for the same price elsewhere. Who are these jokers kidding?

Old 06-05-2014, 05:15 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,959,741 times
Absolutely not.

I'd rather live in the country and have a massive house than live in that pokey place.

Old 06-05-2014, 05:44 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,287,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
I guess it's just the general ugliness plus the blandness of the place that's made me feel that way, as I certainly don't see the great Northeastern cities as "concrete jungles"...lol. If a city's going to be dense, might as well as go all the way and have proper skyscrapers, and besides, there is the massive Central Park. It's probably also because places like NYC actually have something of value compared to the mess that's South Florida.

When I had the chance to move to Atlanta back in '05, I was a bit leery of moving to "just another big city," but when I came up in late '04 for a recon mission, I was shocked to see how roomy and spacious it was up there - even the older neighborhoods had big front / back yards, there were trees *everywhere* and it was just a darned sight prettier than where I'd been living before. The decision to move up here was a no-brainer.
NYC is extremely overrated. I don't see what the big fuss is about it. It's a concrete jungle with very few trees, VERY DIRTY with garbage piled onto the streets, and a major rat problem. They think they're at the forefront of public health yet they don't even put their garbage in cans. What a joke...would partially explain the rat problem. Let's not even get into the traffic. Overall just a very dirty city. I will say they do have a decent club scene, good shows, and lots of good places to eat, but I suppose you should be careful since there's rats everywhere.

I live in the most densely populated state in the country. Traffic is awful. I've been traveling back and forth between the northern and central part of the state a lot recently and traffic is unavoidable. Crawling on the interstate at 20 MPH.

Old 06-05-2014, 05:56 PM

NYC looks dirty, but a price worth paying for some to be in one of the world's premier cities with attractions galore. NYC is very expensive and for good reasons.

Old 06-05-2014, 06:01 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,287,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
NYC looks dirty, but a price worth paying for some to be in one of the world's premier cities with attractions galore. NYC is very expensive and for good reasons.
I disagree. Yes there are a lot of great attractions and museums, but most major cities have that. No justification for the astronomical cost of living there IMO. I know it's easier said than done, but they really need to try clean that city up. I think cities like Boston, Philadelphia, and Washington DC have more charm and are cleaner. Haven't been to Montreal, but apparently it's a really cool city as well.

Crime has dropped significantly over the past twenty years, but that was correlated with an overall drop in crime across the country.

Old 06-05-2014, 06:38 PM
nei nei started this thread nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,744,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
I disagree. Yes there are a lot of great attractions and museums, but most major cities have that. No justification for the astronomical cost of living there IMO. I know it's easier said than done, but they really need to try clean that city up. I think cities like Boston, Philadelphia, and Washington DC have more charm and are cleaner. Haven't been to Montreal, but apparently it's a really cool city as well.
New York City has more charm than you'd expect once you get out of Midtown and some of the popular tourist areas. I didn't used to like New York City as much as when I was younger, but it's grown on me. There really is more going on, and more to explore and the city keeps going and going in a way cities like Boston or Philly don't. If you like that sort of thing, it's worth it. It is dirty, but I don't find that big of a deal.

The traffic is of course bad, but that's why there are trains.

Old 06-05-2014, 06:39 PM
nei nei started this thread nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,744,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Would you pay £793 ($1333 / €976) a month for this?

Studio flat to rent in Russell Street, Leeds, LS1, LS1

It's a student letting in the heart of the city, which has shared lounge/communal area. Seems stupidly priced. There are much larger apartments for the same price elsewhere. Who are these jokers kidding?
It looks nice, but what student would pay that much money?

Old 06-05-2014, 06:42 PM

One with parents willing to foot the bill? There are loads of rich students in Leeds (but they could get a nicer, more spacious apartment I would think).

Old 06-05-2014, 07:03 PM

25,021 posts, read 28,032,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
Absolutely not.

I'd rather live in the country and have a massive house than live in that pokey place.
There are no unis out in the country, love

Old 06-05-2014, 07:05 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,959,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post

Crime has dropped significantly over the past twenty years, but that was correlated with an overall drop in crime across the country.
Exactly. I hate small houses and the reason why people buy inner city houses is to look rich and cosmopolitan.

Get with it and buy a big massive suburban house. I use my money where it is valued.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather