Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2015, 03:47 AM

1,446 posts, read 1,955,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalop View Post
I'm not sure if any place exists which is hotter than Furnace Creek in July.

The closest I could find is Kuwait City in July and August.

However, there are many places that have individual months (not necessarily representative of the average) where the average high for that particular month exceeds 46.9C.

For example, in July 2012 Basrah had an average high of 48C (119F): Weather History for Basrah, Iraq | Weather Underground. (there were a couple of erroneous measurements there, especially that 18C reading, but for the most part the highs appear to be accurate)

Generally the average high there is only 45-46C.
Depending on the temperature change in the last 50 years in the Dallol area, it could now have an average high higher than 46.9C.

And that's a good find
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2015, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe3797 View Post
Great list
You are missing Djibouti (33.4°C average high)
I'll add it on

Old 03-15-2015, 05:10 AM

270 posts, read 481,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rams_Lord View Post
Does anyone know a place with an average high that is greater than 46.9C (116.4F) in any month?
I don't think so. The highest maximum average high must be in the 46 °C - 47 °C range. I recently found a temperature graph which shows an average high over 47 °C in July in a remote desert location in south central Algeria called Bou Bernous but I'm waiting for the summertime to check the real highs on a reliable weather forecast site. Bou Bernous is said to have the highest monthly average high throughout entire Africa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalop View Post
I'm not sure if any place exists which is hotter than Furnace Creek in July.

The closest I could find is Kuwait City in July and August.

However, there are many places that have individual months (not necessarily representative of the average) where the average high for that particular month exceeds 46.9C.

For example, in July 2012 Basrah had an average high of 48C (119F): Weather History for Basrah, Iraq | Weather Underground. (there were a couple of erroneous measurements there, especially that 18C reading, but for the most part the highs appear to be accurate)

Generally the average high there is only 45-46C.
I've just checked the temperature data in July 2014 for Timimoun as well as for Adrar, Algeria and Wunderground is indicating an average high of 47 °C for both these locations.
Weather History for Adrar, Algeria | Weather Underground
Weather History for Timimoun, Algeria | Weather Underground

Last edited by Special_Finder; 03-15-2015 at 05:27 AM..

Old 03-15-2015, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpactionreplay View Post
I don't think so. The highest maximum average high must be in the 46 °C - 47 °C range. I recently found a temperature graph which shows an average high over 47 °C in July in a remote desert location in south central Algeria called Bou Bernous but I wait for the summertime to check the real highs on a reliable weather forecast site. Bou Bernous is said to have the highest monthly average high throughout entire Africa.
Yeah, I think it's best to wait until summer. Going by it's location, I don't think it will be that high I think the hottest part of Algeria is near the border with Libya and Niger.

More weather stations in the Sahara will be really good

Old 03-15-2015, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I think it's best to wait until summer. Going by it's location, I don't think it will be that high I think the hottest part of Algeria is near the border with Libya and Niger.

Yeah, you're right!
I have also many doubts about this data : the average high for June even reaches 44 °C while the average high for August remain above 45 °C according to the graph document. Plus, the town is located near Tindouf, where the average high only reaches 43 °C - 45 °C in July. It seems the hottest places in the Sahara are definitely very hard to determine

More weather stations in that area of the world would be welcoming

Last edited by Special_Finder; 03-15-2015 at 05:41 AM..

Old 03-28-2015, 05:36 AM

Deserts are getting hot nowadays. We aren't in April yet but daytime temperatures are already very high in some of the hottest places on Earth. Today, Death Valley has a maximum temperature of 36 °C (96.8 °F) and Dallol has a maximum temperature of 43 °C (109.4 °F). Tomorrow, Death Valley is going to have a maximum temperature of 36 °C (96.8 °F) like today but Dallol will heat up as the spot is going to have a high of 45 °C (113 °F). On Monday, Death Valley shoud experience a high of 37 °C (98.6 °F) and Dallol should keep an high of 45 °C (113 °F).

Screenshoots of some weather forecasts :

Kuwait City :

Adrar, Algeria :

In Salah, Algeria :

Baghdad, Iraq :

Death Valley, California

Dallol, Ethiopia

Old 03-29-2015, 05:35 AM

57 posts, read 76,105 times
Quote:

I think the elevation in southern/soutestern Algeria (>400 m.asl) is too high to have the hottest summer temps in Africa. I'd guess the hottest parts in Africa in summer are in south/southwestern Algeria and northern Mali where the elevation is below 200 m.asl which can have average summer maximum temps around 47C.

Also worth mentioning; The land area around 150 km southwest of the village In Salah in central Algeria has an elevation 150-200 meters below the village, which can also be a hot-spot in Sahara. If the wiki stats are right, which they rarely are for remote african places, In Salah has an average high of 46.4C in July, which would make the land area 150+ meters below the village 1-2C warmer.

Also, could some parts of the Lut desert in Iran have average summer high temps above 47C? What do you think?

Old 03-29-2015, 08:33 AM

1,187 posts, read 1,371,503 times
LOL, In-Salah data from wiki is wrong!! What a childish attitude the one of changing the average highs of the summer months in order to make it look hotter...

Compare the wiki stats with the WMO normals and you see how the 'unimportant figures' are the same and the high temps are changed.

In Salah - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

ftp://ftp.atdd.noaa.gov/pub/GCOS/WMO...I/AL/60630.TXT

(The source that wiki provides -that Arab Meteorology Book- gets its stats from the WMO normals.)

Old 03-29-2015, 10:08 AM

57 posts, read 76,105 times
Nicely observed. I couldn't agree with you more. Why can't just people stick to the statistical facts instead of fabricating data. Anyway, as mentioned in my previous post, wiki stats are rarely right, especially for remote african places. I still think some isolated low-land parts in the Sahara might have a 47C+ average high for the hottest month, but the lack of weather stations makes it an assumption or guessing.

Old 03-29-2015, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhc1985 View Post
LOL, In-Salah data from wiki is wrong!! What a childish attitude the one of changing the average highs of the summer months in order to make it look hotter...

Compare the wiki stats with the WMO normals and you see how the 'unimportant figures' are the same and the high temps are changed.

In Salah - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

ftp://ftp.atdd.noaa.gov/pub/GCOS/WMO...I/AL/60630.TXT

(The source that wiki provides -that Arab Meteorology Book- gets its stats from the WMO normals.)
I think I will calculate the real averages for the remote locations having dubious temperatures data because the provided data is totally unreliable. I will rely on the forecasts and weather history to etablish the reality, if we can really trust them. I just know the real averages highs for Adrar, Algeria are around 46° - 47° in July and around 45° - 46° in August from the weather history (Wundeground). In Salah is quite close to Adrar, so the spot might roughly have the same averages but I have honestly no proof of that.

Last edited by Special_Finder; 03-29-2015 at 10:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather