Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 05:52 PM

2,173 posts, read 2,582,420 times

Advertisements

It looks as though the UK will have it's coldest snap since January, with max temps dipping into cold single figure digits (40s for any American)! Not looking forward to it!
BBC Weather - Weather for the week
Even Portsmouth, a place not used to max temps much below 10C (50F), will see max temps down to 6C (43F) on Tuesday and mins down to 3C (37F) - that means here in waterlooville (8 miles north of Portsmouth, on a hill) Tuesday will probs be more like 4C (39) max and 0C (32F) min... The min is perhaps not so crazy, If it were January or February... But it will be early December and don't think the Portsmouth area has seen a cold snap like this since March 2013 (which was the coldest march on record)!
BBC Weather - Portsmouth

Any thoughts and opinions?
I know the yanks would probably find this hilarious, but 6C is not nice! BRING ME BACK THOSE HOT SUMMER DAYS!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2014, 06:00 PM

3,400 posts, read 3,206,573 times
Thats no cold snap..

Old 11-26-2014, 06:24 PM

5,741 posts, read 3,516,037 times
Portsmouth is a subtropical paradise.

Old 11-26-2014, 06:30 PM

29,537 posts, read 19,626,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas182 View Post
It looks as though the UK will have it's coldest snap since January, with max temps dipping into cold single figure digits (40s for any American)! Not looking forward to it!
Even Portsmouth, a place not used to max temps much below 10C (50F), will see max temps down to 6C (43F) on Tuesday and mins down to 3C (37F) - that means here in waterlooville (8 miles north of Portsmouth, on a hill) Tuesday will probs be more like 4C (39) max and 0C (32F) min... The min is perhaps not so crazy, If it were January or February... But it will be early December and don't think the Portsmouth area has seen a cold snap like this since March 2013 (which was the coldest march on record)!
BBC Weather - Portsmouth

I know the yanks would probably find this hilarious, but 6C is not nice!
Interestingly the Midwest is supposed to get a mild spell next week (11-13C for Chicago) while Western Europe gets a cold spell (all relative to average of course). I read that the MJO phase we are entering is a warm signal for us, not sure how it plus out across the pond, maybe even unrelated?

Quote:
BRING ME BACK THOSE HOT SUMMER DAYS!!!
Dif you go somewhere hot this past summer?

Old 11-26-2014, 06:42 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,669,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
Interestingly the Midwest is supposed to get a mild spell next week (11-13C for Chicago) while Western Europe gets a cold spell (all relative to average of course). I read that the MJO phase we are entering is a warm signal for us, not sure how it plus out across the pond, maybe even unrelated?

Dif you go somewhere hot this past summer?
lol

Old 11-26-2014, 08:47 PM

9,264 posts, read 7,410,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsNHL View Post
lol
Lol our summer was warm but not hot.. very pleasant up until August unfortunately. Max temp only reached 30.3C at Heathrow but most of July was 24C-28C with the temperatures being consistent like the rest of this year.. I definitely would not mind a repeat even if we did have a lack of real heat

Old 11-26-2014, 09:09 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,669,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
Lol our summer was warm but not hot.. very pleasant up until August unfortunately. Max temp only reached 30.3C at Heathrow but most of July was 24C-28C with the temperatures being consistent like the rest of this year.. I definitely would not mind a repeat even if we did have a lack of real heat
I thought you said you were at uni, how do you post from the middle of the night?

It has got to be over 3 months since I stayed up past 1am, let alone 4am.

Old 11-26-2014, 10:00 PM

3,212 posts, read 3,176,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas182 View Post
BBC Weather - Portsmouth

I know the yanks would probably find this hilarious, but 6C is not nice! BRING ME BACK THOSE HOT SUMMER DAYS!!!
We have never even seen a daytime high of 6C here so it's definitely a "cold snap" to me. Too bad you also get all that chilly, windy, overcast and cold rain with it. At least places like Atlanta and Dallas that get "colder snaps" get plenty of warm and sunny spells in winter to compensate. UK climate sucks.

Old 11-26-2014, 10:18 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,813,132 times
Cold snap for the weekend here too. Highs of -1C on Sat and Sun. Lows possibly down to -5C. No snow, though.

Old 11-27-2014, 01:10 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,681,771 times
Lows of 3C or OC minimums are pretty mild. There have been temperatures here that low over the last couple of weeks, although the maximums have been 20C + most days.

6C or 4C maximums is getting pretty low though, 6C would be every 4-5 years, and 4C hasn't been seen since 1972. The coldest days here usually are sunny though, with stunning blue skies, views of mountains over 100 km away, and cold wind.

Some cold days here feature heavy rain that doesn't change in intensity much over the course of the day. Usually around 8-10C. Bleak stuff, but the payoff is a good top up of snow at the local ski area.

Portsmouth sounds pretty good as far as the UK goes. Winters would still be better than snowy places. Summer sounds pretty decent . I wouldn't mind Portsmouth's summer minimums -the summer minimums here are just plain ridiculous at times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather