Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2015, 06:20 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,521,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Any idea how much walking you did in Paris? The new iPhones track how much walking you do automatically in an app. Sickandtiredofthis would have his numbers from yesterday.
I didn't track my miles - should have. But it was a lot. We both started getting getting sore feet by the 3rd day, and that's when the Metro system came in very, very handy - we rode around that thing a LOT...lol. Lotta stair-climbing too, since the apartment was on the 6th floor. Up and down, up and down...lol.

Old 07-31-2015, 06:29 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
Lotta stair-climbing too, since the apartment was on the 6th floor. Up and down, up and down...lol.
I've posted joke posts on the NYC forum saying people should save money by getting a walk-up apartment. Lower rent than an elevator building; plus no need for gym membership. A friend who moved to Manhattan got a walk-up apartment, didn't mind the lack of elevator but did make sure it had A/C (or installed window units right away, probably the latter most apartments in NYC don't have central A/C)

Old 07-31-2015, 06:31 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

I thought Bernie Sanders was the most popular candidate on Facebook. So my Facebook feed isn't representative of the rest of the country? Never would have thought.

Donald Trump Winning Facebook by a Landslide - Washington Wire - WSJ

Though seriously, I did expect Sanders to be higher and Trump lower. [Not trying to debate on actual candidates, just how your Facebook feed skews]

Old 07-31-2015, 06:33 AM

5,983 posts, read 4,278,462 times
Quote:
I thought Bernie Sanders was the most popular candidate on Facebook. So my Facebook feed isn't representative of the rest of the country? Never would have thought.

Though seriously, I did expect Sanders to be higher and Trump lower. [Not trying to debate on actual candidates, just how your Facebook feed skews]
I would expect the same. Facebook in general seems too liberal for Trump.

Old 07-31-2015, 06:39 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,435,900 times
Quote:

Forgot Sanders. That aging Marxist is useless and has no chance anyway. Trump is the man for the job. I heard he's increased his lead over the other spineless Republicans.

Old 07-31-2015, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
Forgot Sanders. That aging Marxist is useless and has no chance anyway. Trump is the man for the job. I heard he's increased his lead over the other spineless Republicans.
I was trying to discuss popularity within your social circle / Facebook rather than which candidate you support, which we've done already.

Old 07-31-2015, 06:57 AM

4,658 posts, read 3,658,230 times
You Americans remind me of last year here...Our national forum was flooded with debates between both sides

Old 07-31-2015, 07:04 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,435,900 times
Quote:
I was trying to discuss popularity within your social circle / Facebook rather than which candidate you support, which we've done already.
I'm surprised Sanders is as popular as he is. He won't remain that popular once the media really starts attacking him. But if he somehow survives that, honestly, if I had too choose between him and Christie or Jeb Bush, I might even support Sanders as the lesser of two evils. That's how bad those two are.

Old 07-31-2015, 07:09 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,224,288 times
Quote:
Of course it's limiting. That's the whole point. What's wrong with that anyway? That's what US immigration policy was like before 1965, and it was intended to prevent demographic transformation. Speaking of Japan, Korea, that's kind of like my ideal society. I hate this rootless, cosmopolitan mess we have today, which only ever gets worse. I like insular societies.

As for your suggestions.. Russia... sure, in small numbers. Maybe you think Russia isn't European, but that's incorrect, so I wasn't implying I was against all Russian immigration.

Latin America- in general, no. Easier to just bar all immigration from there. But in specific cases (e.g., from Argentina, Uruguay...), I would be okay with it.

China, Japan, Korea- Absolutely not. I am completely against immigration from these countries. They're pretty insular, by the way. They don't tend to let in outsiders. Nothing wrong with that, of course. But migration between the West and Asia is very unidirectional.
I do agree that we need to tighten up immigration policy, but we can't be completely insular.

The Americas are majority Hispanic and their population is growing. I don't consider this a bad thing and Hispanic Catholics can counter the exploding Muslim populations. We're way better off being exposed to Latin America than the Middle East.

Japan, Korea, etc. have some of the brightest minds in the world. Why wouldn't we want that talent to come here?

Old 07-31-2015, 07:20 AM

Quote:
I'm surprised Sanders is as popular as he is. He won't remain that popular once the media really starts attacking him.
Why? People I know genuinely seem to like him. I take it that's not true of those you know? I think his current supporters are familiar enough with him and enthusiastic that they wouldn't change their opinion much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather