Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 02:46 PM

68 posts, read 148,826 times

Advertisements

I currently live in a coastal community in Orange County, Southern California- needless to say I am spoiled with a beautiful climate. Recent spikes in the cost of living coupled with a dramatic increase in population and traffic has caused me to consider moving. I was wondering if I could get some other opinions as to similar climates on the east coast. I'm looking for a beach city with a mild climate that doesn't get TOO humid. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2008, 02:51 PM

809 posts, read 2,409,110 times
Delaware? I don't think any of the cities are really big enough.

You could also look at the southern Appalachians, which have a similar climate to the west coast. Knoxville is the biggest city there.

Old 01-27-2008, 09:41 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Myrtle Beach, SC

Old 01-27-2008, 10:59 PM

5,759 posts, read 11,358,171 times
I live not far from where the OP lives, and I have also lived in several places in the the northeast (NJ) and southeast (AL). All of the beach cities on the east coast with a relatively mild winter (coastal VA to FL) will be very warm and humid in summer. You won't have cool summer evenings like in coastal Orange County where the fog and ocean breeze kicks in at sunset almost every time and drops the temps into the low 60s, and where the AC is rarely if ever turned on. If you are willing to give up the almost perfect climate of OC and use the AC to help get through the summer, coastal NC or SC are worth a look. Don't know what kind of town or city you are looking for, so can't really suggest one without more details. You can have upscale Hilton Head or the small towns out by Cape Hatteras or busy summer beach towns near medium sized cities like Wilmington or Charleston. If you decide to move, I'd suggest renting a place for a while before buying. Get to know the area, make sure you are comfortable there. I am moving back to the southeast when I retire in 2010 to find a more affordable and easy going place too.

Old 01-27-2008, 11:39 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
I would sugget Nags Head area and Hatteras Island so you can enjoy the summer ocean breeze and sound side breezes as well that will hide the high humidity but they can also add to the bite in the winter.

Old 01-29-2008, 09:38 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,889,151 times
I think the Carolinas are really popular right now. I've met a lot of people here in Philly that are in process of moving there

Old 02-02-2008, 11:53 AM

68 posts, read 148,826 times
Thank you all for your replies. I've actually been looking into the Carolina's. Don't they still have fairly cold winters and humid summers when compared to Southern California? Is this the closest I'd find to Southern California weather (with the exception to possibly Florida but I'd think the humidity is quite a bit higher in Florida.)

Old 02-02-2008, 12:31 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,432,349 times
I've never been to Cali so I really can't compare it well. But Fla. is very humid. I believe parts of Fla. are the most humid in the country and the Houston area is second in line.

The Western part of the Carolinas seems to get pretty chilly and they get snow, too. They don't get a lot of snow, but they do have a few inches of it every year. I'd imagine that in the mountains they get quite a bit.

The Coastal part of the Carolinas has a more temperate climate then the western half. All I've ever heard for snow in MB is that they saw flakes falling. They have no snow removal equipment there at all. They claim that the Carolinas can get quite humid though. We were only there one time and it was in Sept. so I really don't know much about the year-round temps. Here's a link for a comparison. It may not be the exact place that you're from or that you're searching, but you can always change it to different locations.

Climatology Comparison for Asheville, NC - weather.com

Old 02-03-2008, 01:09 PM

4,462 posts, read 8,017,296 times
Best east coast temperate climate

southeastern Connecticut, Rhode Island, southeastern Massachusetts's, Cape Cod.

Temps 90 or above 20 days or less snow under 25" a winter

Old 02-04-2008, 01:48 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Bermuda!
It an island well off the East Coast in the Atlantic Ocean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather