Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which climate do you think is more subtropical?
Atlanta 7 26.92%
Melbourne 19 73.08%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 09:23 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,964,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theropod View Post
11C seems a bit common, at least in the last winter. Lows below 5C, though, aren't.

Melbourne, last July (0.6C was the lowest low, even Sydney west gets lower temps):

Melbourne daily temperature and rain summaries

Atlanta on this January was pathetically cold (-13C low!):

Weather History for Atlanta Dekalb, GA | Weather Underground

Lol, winter 2015 pales in comparison to some of the cold Atlanta has gotten from the 1960's thru 1980's and in decades before that. If the US South was not subject to such arctic cold every so many decades, the broadleaf forests would have expanded and taken over the region. They haven't and they won't. It looks strikingly dead there in winter. When the warm PDO and cold AMO line up again, same thing will happen. Single digit F low temps in all of the southeast save southern Florida.

How many times do we have to reiterate on this forum that no where on the planet gets the anomalies of the US East and South. China can get cold, but their deviation from their average does not match how cold we get in North America. I'll bet we in eastern North America have gotten more 35F anomaly days than anywhere on earth (in winter). Too many damn teleconnections playing havoc with our winters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2015, 09:27 AM

7,033 posts, read 4,967,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
An avg low of 7C in the coldest month is impressive and can't be matched by anywhere in Georgia and most and very large chunk of Florida.
At my station, the avg. coldest low is 5.8°C. We had a min of -1°C this year, which hasn't happened in 10 something years lol

Old 10-01-2015, 09:29 AM

11,326 posts, read 20,366,100 times
During the winter....Melbourne would feel more subtropical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
Melbourne easily. You can grow a lot more in Melbourne than Atlanta.
Quote:
Not just that, you can grow far more in Melbourne than 99.9% of the southeast US. Maybe only Orlando on south can match and at the very southern tip of FL exceed Melbourne in tropical plants.
Lol are we all plants now?

Old 10-01-2015, 09:33 AM

16,191 posts, read 11,392,971 times
Quote:
Lol, winter 2015 pales in comparison to some of the cold Atlanta has gotten from the 1960's thru 1980's and in decades before that. If the US South was not subject to such arctic cold every so many decades, the broadleaf forests would have expanded and taken over the region. They haven't and they won't. It looks strikingly dead there in winter. When the warm PDO and cold AMO line up again, same thing will happen. Single digit F low temps in all of the southeast save southern Florida.

How many times do we have to reiterate on this forum that no where on the planet gets the anomalies of the US East and South. China can get cold, but their deviation from their average does not match how cold we get in North America. I'll bet we in eastern North America have gotten more 35F anomaly days than anywhere on earth (in winter). Too many damn teleconnections playing havoc with our winters.
Single digits have never happened in Central FL either....Orlando's record low is 19 F and Tampa is 18 F...even Ocala's record low is 10 F (and that's bordering on North FL to be honest). I believe Gainesville's record low is 10 F as well. I don't understand the agenda you have. On one hand, you try to find the greenest street view of Atlanta during winter (even one with a palm tree ) to try and make it seem that's what it looks like in winter, yet you try to exaggerate the cold that occurs as well. What gives?

Old 10-01-2015, 09:39 AM

7,033 posts, read 4,967,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
During the winter....Melbourne would feel more subtropical.

Lol are we all plants now?
Yep, this is the weather and sometimes unrelated plant forum.

Old 10-01-2015, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
Single digits have never happened in Central FL either....Orlando's record low is 19 F and Tampa is 18 F...even Ocala's record low is 10 F (and that's bordering on North FL to be honest). I believe Gainesville's record low is 10 F as well. I don't understand the agenda you have. On one hand, you try to find the greenest street view of Atlanta during winter (even one with a palm tree ) to try and make it seem that's what it looks like in winter, yet you try to exaggerate the cold that occurs as well. What gives?

Not true at all. I tried to find a pic that was in winter that had deciduous trees. That is what I showed on streetview and compared it to Long Island. The other pic from the gardening forum shows the only palms growing there are the very hardiest like windmills while Melbourne has date palms, etc.

My point was that places here look like Atlanta in winter when we don't have snow cover. How is that subtroical? Places should look subtropical if their climate is indeed subtropical. The high standard deviations kill the winters here. Yeah the averages of Atlanta are somewhat mild, but that tells a small part of the story in this part of the world. We just get way too much variation in winter. Shouldn't "subtropical" be more stable in winter?

And when was the last time Australia had millions of acres of citrus trees killed. Maybe I shouldn't have said single digits into central FL, but 19F at the latitude of Orlando is just crazy.

Old 10-01-2015, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgtheone View Post

Vegetation and climate/weather go hand in hand. Growing zones, etc. Gardeners and agricultural interests are very in tuned with the weather.

Why wouldn't Australia have evolved deciduous trees by now? Probably because it never gets cold enough to require trees to go dormant, while in Atlanta native species there have to go dormant to survive.

Old 10-01-2015, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post

Here is this better: https://goo.gl/maps/NhJ7iGRFybN2

That looks no different than the suburbs here in winter imo.

And the photos I showed on the other thread were to point out that Atlanta is in between subtropical and pure continental like Minneapolis. I tried to make the point it was more temperate and didn't look like Minneapolis or Winnipeg in winter.

Old 10-01-2015, 11:22 AM

12,200 posts, read 7,253,606 times
Quote:
And that is because your entire continent never gets arctic air.
Not arctic air but antarctic can be just as cold.

Old 10-01-2015, 11:24 AM

11,326 posts, read 20,366,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgtheone View Post
Quote:
Vegetation and climate/weather go hand in hand. Growing zones, etc. Gardeners and agricultural interests are very in tuned with the weather.
I know, but the question was "which climate do you think feels more subtropical in the winter?", I certainly feel that subtropical flora adds to the subtropical aesthetic, but ultimately a plant can't make me "feel" warmer or colder. I can marvel at my coconut palm through the window (which I do ) but that won't change the fact that it's 60 degrees and overcast outside, which feels cold after 6 straight months of above normal temperatures.

Quote:
Why wouldn't Australia have evolved deciduous trees by now? Probably because it never gets cold enough to require trees to go dormant, while in Atlanta native species there have to go dormant to survive.
I was always under the impression that Atlanta was dominated by pines, which do make a place look A LOT less dead in the winter, in my experience. Most trees in my area are pines, and it looks much more alive in the winter vs nearby NYC, despite the climate being negligibly cooler overall. A lot more BLE's too, rhododendrons, holly's, magnolias, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather