Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2015, 11:45 AM

2,257 posts, read 1,990,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guajara View Post
According to your climate normals Ioannina has cooled down a lot.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ioannina#Climate
Nearly everwhere in Europe has warmed up significantly, so that looks very weird to me.
Those data I posted are from an amateur meteorologist that he tried to calculate recent averages from the stations of our national service from his site. Many cities didn't cooled down in 1981-2010. Only some of them. For exaple Thessaloniki warmed up. Here is the link of the blog of that meteorologist. It is in greek though.
meteoparea:

Old 10-07-2015, 11:52 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guajara View Post
Does it have to be the UHI?

The weather station of Locarno which is actually located 160m above the city on the mountainside, has comparable diurnal ranges to Lugano. ( And it has even more sunshine hours in winter)
I think it's the moderating effect of the lake which plays a bigger part.
The sea here is warmer in winter but still has a greater diurnal range.

Somewhere that sunny in winter, shouldn't have a range that low. I still think it's dodgy.

Old 10-07-2015, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
The sea here is warmer in winter but still has a greater diurnal range.

Somewhere that sunny in winter, shouldn't have a range that low. I still think it's dodgy.
I searched about Lugano in ogimet recently and I realised that indeed lows are very "warm" for Switzerland and it doesn't have temperature inversion. Maybe it is windy? Maybe the ground and topography don't help temperature inversion?

Old 10-07-2015, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkis View Post
I searched about Lugano in ogimet recently and I realised that indeed lows are very "warm" for Switzerland and it doesn't have temperature inversion. Maybe it is windy? Maybe the ground and topography don't help temperature inversion?
Wind could do it. Western parts of my region, have winter nights, 3-4C warmer than my town, despite not much of a sunshine difference -very windy though.

Old 10-07-2015, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Wind could do it. Western parts of my region, have winter nights, 3-4C warmer than my town, despite not much of a sunshine difference -very windy though.
And here when it is windy we don't have temperature inversion because of winds. Winds don't help inversion. For example when the skies are clear here and with calm conditions it can be -6 C at sunrise and 12 C at afternoon. But with clouds or winds we have lower diurnal range. For example look here. At 10-02 we had a cold snap with dry conditions but strong north winds. And look at 13-02 or 20-02 the difference with calm and sunny conditions.
Synop report summary

Old 10-07-2015, 12:13 PM

Quote:
And here when it is windy we don't have temperature inversion because of winds. Winds don't help inversion. For example when the skies are clear here and with calm conditions it can be -6 C at sunrise and 12 C at afternoon. But with clouds or winds we have lower diurnal range. For example look here. At 10-02 we had a cold snap with dry conditions but strong north winds. And look at 13-02 or 20-02 the difference with calm and sunny conditions.
Synop report summary
We have a katabatic wind most clear mornings, but these don't raise the temperature at all, just increase windchill.

We're right by the sea, but it has little bearing on temperatures. Very common for the winter air temperature to be 16-17C colder than the sea temperature, so a warm body of water can sometimes have little impact. The wind needs to be onshore, to have an impact.

Similar diurnal ranges here in winter at times, but more like -3C/17C.

Old 10-07-2015, 12:19 PM

1,761 posts, read 1,685,338 times
Quote:
Those data I posted are from an amateur meteorologist that he tried to calculate recent averages from the stations of our national service from his site. Many cities didn't cooled down in 1981-2010. Only some of them. For exaple Thessaloniki warmed up. Here is the link of the blog of that meteorologist. It is in greek though.
meteoparea:
Here is another site with some 1981-2010 climate normals for Greece (and other countries).
It's in French and it takes a very long time to load. ( Sometimes you have to refresh)
Mto climat stats | Moyennes 1981/2010
These normals are very close to the site you have linked.

Old 10-07-2015, 12:19 PM

Quote:
We have a katabatic wind most clear mornings, but these don't raise the temperature at all, just increase windchill.

We're right by the sea, but it has little bearing on temperatures. Very common for the winter air temperature to be 16-17C colder than the sea temperature, so a warm body of water can sometimes have little impact. The wind needs to be onshore, to have an impact.
Hm here katabatic winds fron the mountains from East are foehn.Or in cold snaps they just drop temperature but not very much like other cities as you saw daily mean was 1,4 C while in other cities in the same altitude had subfreezing means. Hm interesting information.

Old 10-07-2015, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Hm here katabatic winds fron the mountains from East are foehn.Or in cold snaps they just drop temperature but not very much like other cities as you saw daily mean was 1,4 C while in other cities in the same altitude had subfreezing means. Hm interesting information.
Katabatic winds here are only a morning wind and only happen on cloudless days.

Mild foehn effect is very common in all seasons, but usually only raises temperatures 2-3C above average, as the wind descends into an area with higher relative humidity.

Foehn effect 7-15C above average is rare here.

Last edited by Joe90; 10-07-2015 at 12:37 PM..

Old 10-07-2015, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Katabatic winds here are only a morning wind and only happen on cloudless days.

Mild foehn effect is very common in all seasons, but usually only raises temperatures 2-3C above average, as the wind descends into an area, with higher relative humidity.

Foehn effect above 10-15C is rare.
Our topography in Greece makes foehn effect noticeable. One day for example in the town of Aridea the temperature was -3 C and in one hour temperature reached 12 C. In Serres the past December we had the whole afternoon 3 C and then at evening we had foehn winds from east and the temperature reached 11 C at midnight!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather