Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2015, 06:02 PM

29,543 posts, read 19,636,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Well, now Macedonia is the country named Macedonia, and its capital is Skopje.
Yes, and that Slavic group of people who within the last 120 years considered themselves Bulgarians. Aside for a small portion, their country was never even part of the kingdom of Macedonia. The ancient peoples that lived in that country were Paeonians (related to Thracians), and Dardanians who were an Illyrian group. The modern representation of "Macedonia" is based on the Ottoman Villayets of Salonika, Monastir, and Kosovo.

Quote:
Or do you want to hand over Greece to the Ottomans too? Greece was a part of the Ottoman Empire.
Last I checked, the Turks call their country Turkey. Not, Troy, or Hittite, or a name of any ancient group of people that once lived there.

And by the way, I am 50% Macedonian. My mom is from Kozani. which is a prefecture in the Province of Macedonia in Greece

Old 10-15-2015, 06:24 PM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,604,174 times
What has any of this got to do with the UK climate?

Old 10-15-2015, 11:53 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,603,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
It went off-topic well back ...

Old 10-16-2015, 06:32 AM

102 posts, read 104,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
That's what I was thinking...

Old 10-16-2015, 07:53 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,938,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloth94 View Post
"No, what's not bad is that Moscow had an average max of 32.0C in July 2010"

I guess Newfoundland would have been a better example. Screw continental climates!

Screw continental climates is right. The best climates are like Bermuda, a warm and sunny oceanic subtropical climate. Sydney also fits the bill.

The US has no real Bermuda/Sydney type subtropical climates. Even FL has its fair share of continental type weather. And we all know what can happen in a southeast US winter. And the SW and West Coast don't cut it either. Australia is the quintessential oceanic/subtropical climate with a massive landmass surrounded by water on all sides and low latitude. It is the ideal of warm moderation.

Old 10-16-2015, 08:03 AM

102 posts, read 104,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Screw continental climates is right. The best climates are like Bermuda, a warm and sunny oceanic subtropical climate. Sydney also fits the bill.

The US has no real Bermuda/Sydney type subtropical climates. Even FL has its fair share of continental type weather. And we all know what can happen in a southeast US winter. And the SW and West Coast don't cut it either. Australia is the quintessential oceanic/subtropical climate with a massive landmass surrounded by water on all sides and low latitude. It is the ideal of warm moderation.
If you like warm moderation, look at Tonga. The average high ranges from 24C in winter to 29C in summer.

Old 10-16-2015, 08:14 AM

11,655 posts, read 12,966,685 times
Quote:

I would equate Bermuda with Gold Coast or Brisbane, not Sydney. But I agree with your point down there - how Southeast US is prone to cold "arctic" blasts.

Btw, isn't Key West a quintessential subtropical/tropical climate in the US? It hasn't recorded record lows below freezing. Even our own Rockhampton has recorded three months below 0C and, astonishingly, it's at the same latitude of Key West (so much for "subtropical Australia").

Old 10-16-2015, 08:33 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,938,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
I would equate Bermuda with Gold Coast or Brisbane, not Sydney. But I agree with your point down there - how Southeast US is prone to cold "arctic" blasts.

NOAA says it best when they explain how the Southeast can get so cold. It is the AO. When the Arctic Vortex weakens and lets loose, something which doesn't happen in the southern hemisphere as discussed before, very cold arctic temps can be pushed way far south.

“A strong El Niño is in place and should exert a strong influence over our weather this winter,” said Mike Halpert, deputy director, NOAA’s Climate Prediction Center. “While temperature and precipitation impacts associated with El Niño are favored, El Niño is not the only player. Cold-air outbreaks and snow storms will likely occur at times this winter. However, the frequency, number and intensity of these events cannot be predicted on a seasonal timescale.”

Precipitation - U.S. Winter Outlook: 2015-2016
(Credit: NOAA)

Other factors that often play a role in the winter weather include the Arctic Oscillation, which influences the number of arctic air masses that penetrate into the South and nor'easters on the East Coast, and the Madden-Julian Oscillation, which can impact the number of heavy rain storms in the Pacific Northwest.

Old 10-16-2015, 01:36 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,603,228 times
Quote:

They don't meet my requirements. I want reliably dry and sunny climates. Even in Sydney's relatively brightest month - August - there have been some cases of very high monthly rainfall.

Old 10-17-2015, 08:36 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,514,859 times
Thread has gone off topic. If there's something you wish to discuss about British climate start a new thread. But please try not to repeat "British climate is overrated"; those arguments have been done to death.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather