Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 02:28 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,597,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
Here are the sunshine percentages for Portsmouth.

Jan: 26%
Feb: 31%
Mar: 36%
Apr: 49%
May: 51%
Jun: 51%
Jul: 54%
Aug: 54%
Sep: 46%
Oct: 37%
Nov: 31%
Dec: 25%

The sunniest month on record was July 1911, when Eastbourne recorded 383.9 hrs of sunshine, 79% of the maximum possible.

In London, the vast majority of winter days record around 2-3 hrs of sun. A few days might get 5-8 hrs, and a few days will get nothing. You will see the sun on most days of the year, regardless of the season. Some people seem to paint the UK as a place where you will be lucky to even glimpse the sun if you spend a week or 2 visiting!
For Leeds..

Jan: 23%
Feb: 31%
Mar: 33%
Apr: 37%
May: 44%
Jun: 37%
Jul: 41%
Aug: 41%
Sep: 40%
Oct: 34%
Nov: 28%
Dec: 24%

Definitely a cloudy climate - though Leeds is quite similar to places like Brussels and Hamburg.

June is quite cloudy, funnily enough.

Old 10-13-2015, 02:35 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,821,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloth94 View Post
True, a low sun angle can often play hell with measuring equipment.
The equipment measures sunshine correctly here all 12 months of the year.

Old 10-13-2015, 02:39 PM

102 posts, read 104,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Yeah, forget I said that. It seemed stupid the moment I ran it back over in my mind...

Old 10-13-2015, 03:13 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,514,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Doesn't low angled sun not get recorded by C-S detectors? Much of the sun at high latitudes is at a low angle, so it won't be picked up

Old 10-13-2015, 03:17 PM

9,264 posts, read 7,413,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Doesn't low angled sun not get recorded by C-S detectors? Much of the sun at high latitudes is at a low angle, so it won't be picked up
I remember a day this summer that was clear blue skies all day with no cloud, at the time of year when our day length was 16 h 30 minutes, on meteociel the sunshine hours for that day went down as 13 h 30 or something, so 3 hours fewer than it should have read!

If you look through our best summer months and the sunshine figures, it appears to be the same story, none of the days show more than about 15 hours in June despite the highest possible being about 16 h 30, so I don't fully understand why

Old 10-13-2015, 04:04 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,938,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
I remember a day this summer that was clear blue skies all day with no cloud, at the time of year when our day length was 16 h 30 minutes, on meteociel the sunshine hours for that day went down as 13 h 30 or something, so 3 hours fewer than it should have read!

If you look through our best summer months and the sunshine figures, it appears to be the same story, none of the days show more than about 15 hours in June despite the highest possible being about 16 h 30, so I don't fully understand why

I noticed the same here with those electronic sensors. I noted down days that were sun all day, and then when the monthly numbers were published it didn't match the hours of daylight.

Old 10-13-2015, 04:30 PM

2,173 posts, read 2,583,144 times
Quote:
Does British weather live up to it's negative, often comedic stereotype?
NO! Yes we get a lot of overcast weather in the winter, but much of Southern Britain receives adequate sunshine during the spring and summer months... This year, April, much of September, and so far this month, we have had a lot of settled wall to wall sunshine, with temps in the comfort zone (tho we are seeing colder than av temps now...). Furthermore, on July 1st temps reached 37degrees C, about 99F (tho most of the summer was pretty poor this year), which shows we do get hot weather... And did you know that many locations on the south coast receives more sunshine than most of western Europe, and London receives around the same amount of sunshine as Paris... Yes the highlands of Scotland is very gloomy, but I think this just adds to the beauty of that landscape. And remember, without the rain, or the sunshine our great country gets, Britain wouldn't be a green and pleasant land...

Quote:
Why does Britain in particular get singled out for its weather when half a dozen or so other countries in Northern Europe have climates that are practically identical? Why do they escape the stigma?
Norway gets much worse weather, but no one sees to wry about that... I think it's to do with our pessimism, and perhaps the hatred towards Britain because of the fact that we ruled most of the world at one time?? That's just a guess tho...

Old 10-14-2015, 01:34 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,691,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickandtiredofthis View Post
I don't know why he keep saying I'm from 'Ireland' either. It's not like the climate is going to be that different AT ALL. I have a climate more akin to places like Glasgow anyway.

Ireland and Great Britain are separated by 12 miles of water. I really, really don't see there being much difference in weather.
Are you from Ireland? Are there lots of potatoes where you are?

Old 10-14-2015, 08:58 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,821,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I have no idea, I have to ask the FMI. But if our temperature sensors pick up the temp by the 100,000th fraction of a degree, I would suppose our sunshine recorders are as sensitive.

Old 10-14-2015, 11:03 AM

29,543 posts, read 19,636,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas182 View Post
NO! Yes we get a lot of overcast weather in the winter, but much of Southern Britain receives adequate sunshine during the spring and summer months...
Maybe when measuring it by oceanic standards, but imo, Southern Britain gets poor amounts of sun year round.

Quote:
Furthermore, on July 1st temps reached 37degrees C, about 99F (tho most of the summer was pretty poor this year), which shows we do get hot weather...
That's higher than we reached this summer which was below average, but saying you get hot weather, how long in between such hot spells? The entire UK has reached 35C or higher only 18 times since 1959!

https://twitter.com/bbcweather/statu...65024226136064

Quote:
Norway gets much worse weather, but no one sees to wry about that... I think it's to do with our pessimism, and perhaps the
You will always find people who complain about the local weather (myself included).

Quote:
hatred towards Britain because of the fact that we ruled most of the world at one time?? That's just a guess tho...
Well I'm Greek.... Greeks love their climate and are proud that they once ruled the world. Also American... I guess we rule the world now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather