Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2016, 05:56 AM

13,485 posts, read 9,030,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asagi View Post
Doubt you will ever see one in Hawaii, but they do exist in private collections.
I've seen them in Hawaii, not as common as other more tropical palms but they do grow them there. I even saw a large Chamaerops humilis planted at the Honolulu Zoo

Old 01-28-2016, 07:18 AM

881 posts, read 646,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asagi View Post
Yes, Dypsis lutescens.
I looked it up and I am super impressed. Never imagined that a palm that tropical can be grown here Maybe Royal Palms can be grown here aswell, only it's never been attempted.

I remember going to Cairns. Tropical palm paradise. Exotic Ultra tropical species abound in all their glory. Was staying on the second floor of a hotel and there were these thin bamboo-like clumping palms up against the balcony. So awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Just incredible to me from my North American perspective. Your town is at the same latitude as Columbia, SC here, and the same distance inland. You won't find any of those palms growing there where the avg winter lowest temp is 16F. You have to go down into Central Florida here to see that kind of palm variety. And people wonder why I find so many issues with the winter climate of supposed "subtropical" climates in the Southeast.
Thanks! In southern Australia, winters tend to be stable and rarely venture very far from the averages. Summers on the other hand are highly variable, here high temps can be as high as 48C and overnight lows as cold as 10C.

Last edited by Coldfront Factory; 01-28-2016 at 07:36 AM..

Old 01-28-2016, 07:57 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,932,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldfront Factory View Post
I looked it up and I am super impressed. Never imagined that a palm that tropical can be grown here Maybe Royal Palms can be grown here aswell, only it's never been attempted.

I remember going to Cairns. Tropical palm paradise. Exotic Ultra tropical species abound in all their glory. Was staying on the second floor of a hotel and there were these thin bamboo-like clumping palms up against the balcony. So awesome.

Thanks! In southern Australia, winters tend to be stable and rarely venture very far from the averages. Summers on the other hand are highly variable, here high temps can be as high as 48C and overnight lows as cold as 10C.

I would love stable winters like that. I'd even take colder averages if we only moved 5 degrees around the averages. I'm starting to think warm maritime climates are the most excellent climate on earth. I can't stand continental climates at all. How often would a place like Sydney go down to 10C in summer? Do you mean far inland locations?

And yes about that tropical palm in your area of Riverland. I asked around people in my different groups on gardening clubs, and they are marginal in Orlando believe it or not. They really only start in far South FL. They are not a 9a or 9b palm, but a 10A palm. That shows you just how minimally you go below your winter averages. Sounds like absolute paradise to me. Charleston SC has warmer avg lows than Renmark, AU in winter, yet when I streetview Renmark I see large Queen palms in public plantings and all over the place. Charleston can't grow a single Queen palm because it drops every winter at least 20F below its avg low.

I would love to hear the perspective of an Australian that moved to the Southeast US thinking they were moving to a similar climate to Australia humid subtropical climate. They would be shocked to say the least. And I wonder how much they would really consider it truly "subtropical" when they couldn't grow many of the same things from home.

Old 01-28-2016, 10:45 AM

12,278 posts, read 9,456,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
I would love to hear the perspective of an Australian that moved to the Southeast US thinking they were moving to a similar climate to Australia humid subtropical climate. They would be shocked to say the least. And I wonder how much they would really consider it truly "subtropical" when they couldn't grow many of the same things from home.
Well that would be pretty foolish.

Old 01-28-2016, 11:54 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,681,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post

Not the prettiest, but it's done well this winter. I didn't have to dig it out like I thought I'd have to, snow completely gone on the other side.
Cool-great photo for highlighting the difficulties of these palms in your climate.

Windmills are great for pots, and look better in shade imo.

Old 01-30-2016, 06:39 AM

1,772 posts, read 1,504,913 times
From my Tucson-photos, I think there are 4? different palm species in the pic:

Last edited by Donar; 01-30-2016 at 06:47 AM..

Old 01-30-2016, 08:08 AM

1,440 posts, read 2,541,764 times
Yes the tall palms are Washingtonia robusta. The large feather leaved palms are canary island date palms. The tall feather leaf palm behind the Washingtonia is a queen palm. The silver palm is some sort of Brahea, probably B. armata (?).

Old 01-30-2016, 09:14 AM

Here are some photos of palms growing in the wild in Malta.

The only native palm is Chamaerops humilis & this is almost extinct in the wild, with just a few protected locations where some can still be found. They are being re-introduced though in other areas, with young plants grown from seed of wild palms being planted in nature reserves & other protected areas.

Another palm found growing in the wild all over Malta is Phoenix dactylifera, though not native it has established itself & is now classed as an introduced wild plant that is protected... You do find some Phoenix canariensis & Washingtonia robusta growing wild as well but not in as many numbers as Phoenix dactylifera...

Chamaerops humilis

Phoenix dactylifera

Old 01-31-2016, 06:50 AM

Some King palms, Archontophoenix alexandrae, planted in the communal gardens of an apartment complex in St. Julians Malta...

Old 01-31-2016, 07:12 AM

881 posts, read 646,727 times
Nice pics Flamingalah. Love the wild pics, nothing like seeing naturalised palms growing in the wild. Malta should be a very good place to grow more sensitive subtropical species aswell. Every time I see palms growing in random locations here in my area I gain another year of lifespan. Just here at my houseboat mooring, out in the middle of the water, there is a fan palm sprouting on a dead Eucalyptus tree trunk. Ridiculous how awesome that is.

Wild palms here and in Mildura

Renmark

Mildura

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather