Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2017, 10:10 AM

2,132 posts, read 1,370,816 times

Advertisements

yeah ,in southern states (despite the occasional chill ) the chance of warm sunny days aren't far away - whereas in Australia and Spain they can completely disappear off the radar for days .

Not only that ,but i assume when there is warning of freak cold conditions in Corpus Christi etc then you can get out there and do whatever it takes to protect the roots overnight .

Those outside heaters you get in pubs would probably come in handy too

Old 06-08-2017, 10:18 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,929,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorshavnSunHolidays View Post
yeah ,in southern states (despite the occasional chill ) the chance of warm sunny days aren't far away - whereas in Australia and Spain they can completely disappear off the radar for days .

Not only that ,but i assume when there is warning of freak cold conditions in Corpus Christi etc then you can get out there and do whatever it takes to protect the roots overnight .

Coco palms unless very small are too big to protect. They have been killed in northern parts of Florida peninsula before from cold. I don't think people try to protect them. I doubt you can protect the roots without a buried root heating system. I doubt any large ones are protected at all down there.

I don't think anyone in the southeast bothers with protection for palm trees to be honest, because after going there in spring after a really bad winter, I saw many fried palm trees. Visiting a couple years later almost all had fully recovered. It is not every winter they get really bad out of zone cold. In fact many folks from Mobile, AL told me 2014 was the coldest winter in at least 20 years there.

If every winter got that kind of cold you wouldn't see cidp's or washingtonia down there at all in the Southeast.

Old 06-08-2017, 10:51 AM

the Cidp's that exist in southern England one year had blankets around them (Torquay) - i think the temperature got down to -5 (25) something mental like that for a couple of nights .

These must have been civic / council owned , so they had a duty to protect them . Wild growing palms are left to their own fate .

Old 06-08-2017, 10:57 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,597,260 times
I've never seen blankets around any of the CIDPs in gardens here.

3,326 posts, read 2,619,803 times
Quote:

that's true

also as tom said, even being 10a zones (compared to Sydney or Almería's bordering 10b/11a) they don't have the possibility which south Texas or mid Florida have...

Those zones can get easily +25-26ºC days even in the middle of January, just look at Brownsville this year: completely tropical winter, for all of the 3 winter months. Unthinkable in southern Spain or Australia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
I've never seen blankets around any of the CIDPs in gardens here.
I wonder how you appear that fast when someone mentiones the palm trees / cool temps in England.

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times
If Raoul Island can't grow a coconut, then there is little hope for Sydney or Forster. Although there has been a suggestion that coconut palms on Raoul Island don't die from natural causes

Quote:
the Cidp's that exist in southern England one year had blankets around them (Torquay) - i think the temperature got down to -5 (25) something mental like that for a couple of nights .

These must have been civic / council owned , so they had a duty to protect them . Wild growing palms are left to their own fate .
-5C is nothing to a CIDP, it was either colder, or someone was in panic mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junter View Post
that's true

also as tom said, even being 10a zones (compared to Sydney or Almería's bordering 10b/11a) they don't have the possibility which south Texas or mid Florida have...

Those zones can get easily +25-26ºC days even in the middle of January, just look at Brownsville this year: completely tropical winter, for all of the 3 winter months. Unthinkable in southern Spain or Australia.
Not comparable though - places in Australia with Brownsville winter averages, won't see killing frosts for palms.

Last edited by Joe90; 06-08-2017 at 11:09 AM..

Old 06-08-2017, 11:01 AM

3,326 posts, read 2,619,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
If Raoul Island can't grow a coconut, then there is little hope for Sydney or Forster. Although there has been a suggestion that coconut palms on Raoul Island don't die from natural causes.
Almost akin temperatures to Madeira... i'm sure that Raoul can.

Maybe you won't expect them growing big in few years and fruiting large mature fruits but still those temps are enough for a healthy coconut.

A coconut grown in the wild in Raoul island.

Old 06-08-2017, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
If Raoul Island can't grow a coconut, then there is little hope for Sydney or Forster. Although there has been a suggestion that coconut palms on Raoul Island don't die from natural causes

-5C is nothing to a CIDP, it was either colder, or someone was in panic mode

Not comparable though - places in Australia with Brownsville winter averages, won't see killing frosts for palms.

apparantly it was either 1978 or 1987 (or even both) so i have been told , so more than a few years ago - the temp went down to somewhere around -5c to -7c .

Coldest there ever was in 1940 and 1947 according to wiki and that was -9c and that wiped out a good few Cidp's the Victorians planted ... so not a new thing ,so
that kind of cold can kill them off evidently - unless they are a stronger strain these days .

Old 06-08-2017, 11:32 AM

there must be a Cidp limit ..... otherwise they would be growing in Stornoway - record ever low -12

or do they need a certain warmth requirement ?

Old 06-08-2017, 11:33 AM

13,485 posts, read 9,027,668 times
Quote:

Maybe with young or newly planted ones, but as they get bigger it's impossible to protect them anyway...

The ones in Southsea had their fronds tied up for their first couple of winters & that was all (& probably overkill anyway, the once in my back garden has never been protected). As they get bigger they can take more cold anyway...The lowest temperatures the ones in Southsea have seen in their lifetime is around -4C/-5C, larger CIDP's can take down to -8C in the UK climate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather