Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2016, 11:52 AM

83,564 posts, read 75,484,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Looking at the basil photo -do you grow it? Just finished the last of the outdoor basil here (make lots of pesto), and will now rely on tunnelhouse basil, which will produce well until about late May.
Basil is my favorite herb. I try to plant new seeds every month so I have as many months of fresh Basil as I could, but sometimes I forget to replant new seeds. I tried Cinnamon Basil last year. Mmmmm! Not bad. Basil is nice to have ready when making the jars of sauce. Never heard of tunnelhouse basil.

Lemon Balm another must have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srfoskey View Post
I flew to Oklahoma this past week.
The sky is darker when you're at 36,000 feet.

I was surprised at how many trees there are, but it's definitely more open than North Carolina.

On the flight to Illinois I saw lots of wind turbines.

We briefly stopped in Chicago. Spring seems to be about 4 weeks behind North Carolina there.

One day there was a strong thunderstorm.
Nice pics.. Kinda surprised how bare Oklahoma was there. Cant stand looking at Wind turbines just thinking of all the Birds that die from it. Stormy dark skies there, looks like lightning was back there.

===================

Drove down to New Rochelle again this morning near The Bronx/NYC, always funny to see how they are 1 week ahead of me just less than 40 minutes away.

Bradford Pears apparent. Mine don't even have open buds yet.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2016, 12:33 PM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,614,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
Most trees are already green here. I don't know how you decided this isn't usually the case when our averages are a little higher than yours in spring and summer and the last few years we have had above average weather in all seasons.
You've had abnormally warm weather for several years now, whereas we are about 1-1.5 weeks behind where we should be. Seattle is about equal to here, but Vancouver shouldn't be ahead. Heathrow's annual mean is the same as Seattle.

Old 04-02-2016, 12:39 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,617,072 times
People I know have commented on the bare trees and how far behind things seem to me. There is really not much movement at all. Obviously you don't expect the trees to be green by this stage but I'd expect more than what we have.

Old 04-02-2016, 12:49 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,842,685 times
I'm behind everyone at this point. Gothenburg looks quite weak too, but everything pretty much explodes here in April, weather permitting.

Why are narcissii known as daffodils in English?

Old 04-02-2016, 01:03 PM
B87

So here are a few pics from today; the first 3 were taken in the morning when it was sunny and I was sowing vegetable seeds on the allotment. Then went for a walk in the evening, by which time it was cloudy and eventually started raining. High was 16c in central London, 15c at Heathrow.

We are about a week or 10 days behind where we should be with regards to foliage.

Broad beans.

Hydrangea.

A few trees, like sycamore and oak, are starting to leaf out. Others still bare.

Willows leafing out. That dried up tangled mess next to the river is bramble.

Not sure whether that undergrowth is wild carrot, parsley or hemlock?

Bamboo growing on the river bank.

The small trees/shrubs that are mostly in leaf are apples, plums and hawthorn.

Pollarded weeping willows. I took some photos here last June, some may remember?

Cordyline.

Seeds on a trachy.

Magnolias leafing out.

Any idea what this is?

Old 04-02-2016, 01:17 PM

330 posts, read 229,042 times
The trees are still very bare here. The only things that have started to bloom are the bushes, the trees seem to be very late here. I'd say another two weeks before they're out.

Old 04-02-2016, 01:19 PM
B87

NI or Norwich?

Old 04-02-2016, 01:20 PM

330 posts, read 229,042 times
I have no idea what it is like there.

Old 04-02-2016, 02:21 PM

341 posts, read 341,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherguru View Post
The trees are still very bare here. The only things that have started to bloom are the bushes, the trees seem to be very late here. I'd say another two weeks before they're out.
Why we should be even remotely interested if you don't have location typed in your profile? Do we have to guess where you are from?
People, think!

Old 04-02-2016, 02:27 PM

1,759 posts, read 1,881,464 times
Wow, all the greenery. Snow is barely gone here and both February and March were way above average. It'll start getting green in May. Don't you get tired of endless summer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather