Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2016, 04:57 PM

6,517 posts, read 5,825,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
We had 3 days in a row with thunderstorms in the last week of March, one of which set fire to a tree during the boat race. We had another thunderstorm a couple of days ago, and showers/hail mixed with sun today. The last few days have generally been partly or mostly cloudy with a shower or 2.
Pretty similar then, although today has been sunny most of the day, apart from a brief shower. It was cold in the wind though. Definitely didn't feel like spring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2016, 05:02 PM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,615,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean York View Post
Pretty similar then, although today has been sunny most of the day, apart from a brief shower. It was cold in the wind though. Definitely didn't feel like spring.
It was cloudy and drizzly when I was heading to work this morning - felt like January. Between 10am-1pm it was mostly cloudy, then from 1pm-4pm it was partly cloudy with showers. Then from about 4pm until now it was mostly sunny/clear after sunset, apart from that random hail storm at 6pm. Today has been the most changeable day of the entire spring so far.

Old 04-06-2016, 05:04 PM

83,566 posts, read 75,505,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Neat animation. Over many days is that? I'd curious to see a similar one for Europe, especially for January. You can see the temperature swings aren't as big over Seattle, though yea it's fluctuating. .
It's over 37 days.

Yeah, I'd like to see Europe or even a longer animation to cover winter and other seasons... Are you ready to call me a nut? I save those images twice a day. I have a zoomed out view as well but not Europe. I'm a nut but not that crazy. lol! Very time consuming and tiring sometimes saving same views twice a day on top of all other maps I save.

Ahh, you reminded me to check Mt Rainiers webcam

Gorgeous day out there today!

Old 04-06-2016, 10:17 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,953,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Ok, here it is. I did it via GIF but then realized had to resize to upload then realized the speed may be too fast but anyway, the point is here.

This is the actual temps at 5000' (airmass aloft) every 12hrs (00z & 12z) March 1 to April 6, 2016.

As you can clearly see... Atmosphere is ALWAYS flowing and never stays still. However you can find areas like Florida or south where the airmass kinda stays still in the +10-15C range but still is moving around. The Mid Latitudes sees more fluctuations than southern and even northern latitudes obviously just because of the shape of Earth and the spinning?

You will get a few days where the airmass is similar or within a tight range but things are still flowing around.

Just to point out and note our cold blast recently in the Northeast, watch the pink area (-10C & colder) dive down and rotate around. It is a beautiful sight and not saying that out of preference. It's interesting to see.

Reason why it can stay cold is because the rotation keeps coming around but again, it's still flowing around and wont always be -10C in Northeast.

The thing that immediately stands out in your graphic for me is how again the eastern half of North America gets much higher anomalies, while the PNW barely gets cool and keeps going back to warm. As I have posted that have been almost entirely above average since last summer. And I'm sure the same in 2014.

Old 04-07-2016, 12:31 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,148,017 times
The Interstate 90 bridge from Bellevue to Seattle (taken today)

Last edited by Botev1912; 04-09-2016 at 10:11 AM..

Old 04-07-2016, 05:00 AM

83,566 posts, read 75,505,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
The thing that immediately stands out in your graphic for me is how again the eastern half of North America gets much higher anomalies, while the PNW barely gets cool and keeps going back to warm. .
No, graphic is not anomalies. Its actual "temps". And you have to consider the averages for both PNW and Northeast as nei pointed out I believe.

Just because the PNW hasn't seen the deep cold air last 37 days doesn't mean it didn't happen before and they don't need to see a -10C airmass to be well below normal with their anomalies. Repeat that.

The west doesn't need to see a -10C airmass to be well below normal. That's because their averages are more stable or warmer so even a -5C airmass aloft and good radiational cooling would give them well below normal temps.

Furthermore ... not discussed enough, it is rare for a deep cold airmass to enter the West because the Pacific will moderate it plus not enough room on West side of Rockies for airmasses to dive down without Pacific air interaction.. That's a whole nother post.

Old 04-07-2016, 07:08 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,574,184 times
From the day of the snowfall (Monday).

House used to look severely decayed. Has its own facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/7Market/

"It's older than Jesus!" Doesn't look it anymore. One of the older houses in the area, maybe 1704. Adjacent to newer commercial three-story brick buildings. Unlike the mid-atlantic, the oldest houses here were wooden.

Old 04-07-2016, 09:24 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,574,184 times
Tuesday after the snow. Deep blue sky. Off to Mt. Greylock.

Summit temperature: 15°F ? at 6 pm and breezy (15-20 mph). Could have been a bit colder
Hiking time: 6hr55min
Mileage: 10 miles
Elevation gain: 3345 feet

would have been an elevation gain of 2300 feet if I had taken a direct route. Instead I did a long loop to several viewpoints with the summit near the end and taking the most direct route down:

Stopped at Adams, MA at the foot of the mountain

Trailhead is 2 miles west, past the trailhead road becomes private. Greylock in the background. Doesn't look that close

on the trail. With black pants over long underwear, I felt rather warm in the bright midday sun. Should have brought sunglasses; lots of glare from April sun reflecting on snow. Higher up the warmth from the sun felt welcome and past 3:30 or so it wasn't as direct.

Not much snow at all in some spots. Higher up 5-7 inches and quite powdery.

trail went around this

viewpoint at 2500 feet looking towards Greylock

Buds!

Spoiler

lean-to shelter for backpackers

that hill in the background is the viewpoint in the earlier photo

Another viewpoint on the west side of the mountain

Spoiler

Still didn't feel that cold except when a breeze came in. Noticeably cooler at 3000 feet, though. Another overlook to the west

snowy conifers

waterfall

looking downstream

Spoiler

frozen pond just below the summit

went up the road for the last bit, no car traffic and has more views than the trail

Looking down at Adams

Felt much colder at the summit, but I had stopped moving and the sun was low in the sky now. Also more open and breezy.

Met three skiiers who had come up the road from the north. Think they were about 17-19 in age, all local. One of them said he had bicycled up the road a month ago; it was 60°F at the summit. He thought it was 20°F at the summit, I think it was colder. Sounding predicted 14°F at 3 pm, but it underestimated the warmth at North Adams by about 3°F. The skiiers had met a bicyclist coming up on fat tires as well as other skiiers.

trail down down

took a short, steep tail down. Also a backcountry trail. Fun with the snow. Felt much warmer

phone version has a nicer sunset color but a strange purple cast

Spoiler

Old 04-07-2016, 10:27 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,953,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
No, graphic is not anomalies. Its actual "temps". And you have to consider the averages for both PNW and Northeast as nei pointed out I believe.

Just because the PNW hasn't seen the deep cold air last 37 days doesn't mean it didn't happen before and they don't need to see a -10C airmass to be well below normal with their anomalies. Repeat that.

The west doesn't need to see a -10C airmass to be well below normal. That's because their averages are more stable or warmer so even a -5C airmass aloft and good radiational cooling would give them well below normal temps.

Furthermore ... not discussed enough, it is rare for a deep cold airmass to enter the West because the Pacific will moderate it plus not enough room on West side of Rockies for airmasses to dive down without Pacific air interaction.. That's a whole nother post.
So it's impossible for them to go well below average, but not to go well above? Look at their annual means the last two years. Why so warm there? What's driving it? They haven't been this warm since 1941.

Old 04-07-2016, 10:34 AM

341 posts, read 342,011 times
Kraków, Poland:

[/quote]

[quote=Gatsby;131888951]

Wreszcie czu? wiosn? w Krakowie [ZDJ?CIA] - Zdj?cie 55270 - LoveKraków.pl
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather