Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2016, 07:46 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,329,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
I was never disputing that Atlanta was crowded as Queens or NY, but he was trying to make it seem like it was desolate or something lol. Atlanta can be very crowded, like I said the traffic during rush hour is nearly as bad as Miami, you wouldn't say Miami is crowded? I will say Atlanta is very sprawled out, but to act like the "silence will kill you" or whatever is ridiculous. It's Atlanta, not Langdon, North Dakota.

Also, it's very easy to say it isn't crowded when you've never been there lol. Go to Atlanta at 5-6 PM and tell me it's not crowded or at least full of people.
It still has a fraction of the density of Queens. It probably gets a bit crowded on a weekend night, but to someone from Queens it shouldn't be anything overwhelming. Hell, I even thought Boston was kinda calm at night (in a good way) and Boston has 4x the density of Atlanta. I just don't think someone who spent their entire life in NYC, or worse, Moscow, would find Atlanta to be crowded

Old 06-19-2016, 07:51 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
I was never disputing that Atlanta was crowded as Queens or NY, but he was trying to make it seem like it was desolate or something lol. Atlanta can be very crowded, like I said the traffic during rush hour is nearly as bad as Miami, you wouldn't say Miami is crowded? I will say Atlanta is very sprawled out, but to act like the "silence will kill you" or whatever is ridiculous. It's Atlanta, not Langdon, North Dakota.

Also, it's very easy to say it isn't crowded when you've never been there lol. Go to Atlanta at 5-6 PM and tell me it's not crowded or at least full of people.
Oh, I wasn't thinking of road traffic volume for crowded; thought that referred more to pedestrians. My area isn't crowded but sometimes gets completely jammed traffic from road chokepoints. That's just traffic. I'm guessing Warwarsza wasn't thinking of traffic; I assume he doesn't. I was thinking more of how packed in things were or crowded by amount of people in the street.

From the streetviews, it appears Atlanta has detached houses on non-tiny lots not that far from downtown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
I've never been to New York, but there is such a thing as 'too dense'. I like urban living, but ideally a city like Berlin that's somewhat dense but not very dense - it's interesting but not overwhelmingly large or confusing.
I visited Berlin; I wouldn't consider it crowded. Busy and dense; nowhere as much as NYC. And not as packed with people on the street -> not as crowded.

I agree Berlin's size and density is more pleasant than a city like NYC. Biking the full length of NYC a month and a half after visiting Berlin gave me a good sense of the difference in scale and density.

Old 06-19-2016, 07:52 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,456,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
It still has a fraction of the density of Queens. It probably gets a bit crowded on a weekend night, but to someone from Queens it shouldn't be anything overwhelming. Hell, I even thought Boston was kinda calm at night (in a good way) and Boston has 4x the density of Atlanta. I just don't think someone who spent their entire life in NYC, or worse, Moscow, would find Atlanta to be crowded
Boston is smaller than Atlanta. Density is extraneous in the context of traffic and getting around.

Old 06-19-2016, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Oh, I wasn't thinking of road traffic volume for crowded; thought that referred more to pedestrians. My area isn't crowded but sometimes gets completely jammed traffic from road chokepoints. That's just traffic. I'm guessing Warwarsza wasn't thinking of traffic; I assume he doesn't. I was thinking more of how packed in things were or crowded by amount of people in the street.

I visited Berlin; I wouldn't consider it crowded. Busy and dense; nowhere as much as NYC. And not as packed with people on the street -> not as crowded.

I agree Berlin's size and density is more pleasant than a city like NYC
I'm not a big driver so I don't really care about traffic too much, altho the traffic in NYC is horrendous. If you're going to Manhattan you're better off without a car. Not a problem for me though since I don't like driving

Old 06-19-2016, 07:55 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat15 View Post
Boston is smaller than Atlanta. Density is extraneous in the context of traffic and getting around.
Boston is similar in size. Density affects getting around and traffic; but we were talking about crowdedness, not traffic.

Old 06-19-2016, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat15 View Post
I wasn't taking about traffic lol. Boston is really easy to get around because of how dense it is. You can walk across downtown in 30 minutes and also the metro is very nice and can get you anywhere you want. Fantastic city

Old 06-19-2016, 08:01 PM

I thought Granada was surprisingly crowded; city of 300,000 people yet packed. Spanish cities are really dense, and the locals seem to all get out on the streets late in the evening. I'm unsure if they sleep.

Old 06-19-2016, 08:03 PM

Crowded spot in Queens

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Fl...833079!6m1!1e1

Old 06-19-2016, 08:06 PM

Quote:
I thought Granada was surprisingly crowded; city of 300,000 people yet packed. Spanish cities are really dense, and the locals seem to all get out on the streets late in the evening. I'm unsure if they sleep.
Spain really seems like a fantastic place to live between the weather and the safety and the culture. I think most of the Mediterranean must be fantastic for living. South America would be perfect too if only it was safer. I actually think culturally South America is better than the Mediterranean, at least the big cities

Old 06-19-2016, 08:07 PM

Quote:
If you want to see crazy density in Queens look up anything on Roosevelt Avenue, especially around 73Rd st or 82nd st or Junction Blvd
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather