Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 08:15 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,578,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majami View Post
Whenever I dine out in London, you guys have heat lamps fixed under the umbrellas and they are turned on even when it's above 20 C.

Can't imagine Leeds is much different than London.

It's not about being 'wimpy', it's about being 'comfortable', 20 C requires a person to layer and stay active to be comfortable.
20C is very comfortable. If you find yourself feeling cold at that temperature, you must have a medical condition, and I'd advise seeking help. You'd look very strange indeed if you were layering to keep warm at 20C here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2016, 08:17 AM

892 posts, read 859,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
20C is very comfortable. If you find yourself feeling cold at that temperature, you must have a medical condition, and I'd advise seeing help. You'd look very strange indeed if you were layering to keep warm at 20C here.
If it's so comfortable why do I see so many people in England with sweaters, light jackets in the summer? Doesn't seem so comfortable to them if they have layer that way.

Old 03-30-2016, 08:18 AM

11,655 posts, read 12,950,547 times
Quote:
I'm just telling you what the restaurant would do, they would bring out the outdoor heaters otherwise few to no people would sit outside at that temperature. If you are one of those few who like sitting still at 20 C, then more power to you, you'd enjoy an almost abandoned al-fresco dining scene.
Where are you from? Maybe those in the tropical climates would need a heater when temps dip down to 20C, since they're not quite accustomed to temps under 28C.

20C is a pleasant temperature for many people. Heck, I would even be sweating and would yearn for an aircon if high humidity (90%+) accompanies that temp. In actuality, my aircon is usually on when we get muggy 20C nights.

Outdoor heaters, at least in here, are turned on when the temperature is (around or) below 14C.

Old 03-30-2016, 08:18 AM

11,326 posts, read 20,328,314 times
I'd say 25C (77F) and warmer in the summer. 20C (68F) would be doable in the spring.

I remember eating outside in Central Park during a cold (<5C) and windy winter day, never again. It was so cold I didn't even want to eat, I couldn't even taste the food, everything tasted like cold air.

Old 03-30-2016, 08:21 AM

Quote:
If it's so comfortable why do I see so many people in England with sweaters, light jackets in the summer? Doesn't seem so comfortable to them if they have layer that way.
I've seen people wearing sweaters at 30C, and T-shirts at 10C - though on a typical summer day here with a temperature of 21C and partly cloudy skies, most people wouldn't be wearing sweaters or light jackets. If you're coming from a climate with very warm or hot summers, then you'd probably find it cool, though acclimatisation is fairly easy.

Old 03-30-2016, 08:21 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,924,830 times
Quote:
20C is very comfortable. If you find yourself feeling cold at that temperature, you must have a medical condition, and I'd advise seeking help. You'd look very strange indeed if you were layering to keep warm at 20C here.

I think it depends what you are used to. If I was in Leeds in April and early May and had 20C with no wind and sunshine I would be fine sitting out. If I came over in July and it was 20C I would have a jacket on, wind or not.

You guys just have different seasonal temp thresholds as you get acclimated.

Old 03-30-2016, 08:22 AM

5,271 posts, read 4,679,161 times
Quote:
I'm just telling you what the restaurant would do, they would bring out the outdoor heaters otherwise few to no people would sit outside at that temperature. If you are one of those few who like sitting still at 20 C, then more power to you, you'd enjoy an almost abandoned al-fresco dining scene.
That's big of a generalization. That should be true for places nearer to 35 to the equator (like Los Angeles, Rabat, Buenos Aires, Cape Town, Sydney...). I don't think room temperature is too cold to sit still. I'm sitting still in my chair, in my bedroom, at 20 °C, so I know what I'm saying.

If you like sitting still at 30 °C (assuming you don't sweat and you're nice and comfortable), it's not that much of a problem. I simply don't like a temperature 5 degrees above a strongly heated house, under the heat of the Sun. That's just my opinion, though. And it's not true that people don't sit outside at that temperature, they even do it at 5 °C, so it's not true. I don't know what is an "al-fresco" dining scene, though, since I don't speak Arabic (or whatever that language is)

Old 03-30-2016, 08:23 AM

Quote:
I've seen people wearing sweaters at 30C, and T-shirts at 10C - though on a typical summer day here with a temperature of 21C and partly cloudy skies, most people wouldn't be wearing sweaters or light jackets. If you're coming from a climate with very warm or hot summers, then you'd probably find it cool, though acclimatisation is fairly easy.
That's not what I see, especially in the evening almost everyone has at least long-sleeves. And many, if not most, have a light jacket/sweater. It's certainly not warm to anyone.

Old 03-30-2016, 08:24 AM

Quote:
That's not what I see, especially in the evening almost everyone has at least long-sleeves. And many, if not most, have a light jacket/sweater. It's certainly not warm to anyone.
If the temperature was 20C at 2pm, it'd probably be in the teens by evening time, so that's more reasonable. Heck, even on 25C evenings when the sun is fading, it can start feeling cool - but during the afternoon, never.

I'm not sure where you live, but it certainly isn't England.

Old 03-30-2016, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverBlack View Post
I don't know what is an "al-fresco" dining scene, though, since I don't speak Arabic (or whatever that language is)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_fresco_dining

It's Italian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather