Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2016, 04:01 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,610,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
That is very true, same weather patterns up and down the east coast, except further south you are the warmer. Personally I never had a hard time coping with the fact boston is almost in the same climate as Orlando.
I can't put a place that's almost tropical in the same group as a place that's continental, where on the same winter day, you can wear shorts and a T shirt comfortably in one, while in the other, you need long pants, long sleeve shirt and heavy coat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2016, 04:20 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,681,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I can't put a place that's almost tropical in the same group as a place that's continental, where on the same winter day, you can wear shorts and a T shirt comfortably in one, while in the other, you need long pants, long sleeve shirt and heavy coat
That is true of all Kopnen's C climates though.

Climates within a group obviously don't all feel the same.

Old 06-01-2016, 04:25 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,408,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post

Imo, if climatologists worldwide have accepted koepnens methods for more than a century then why are we disputing them now? If they were so majorly flawed you would think there would be more of a movement to change it.

Old 06-01-2016, 04:35 PM

Quote:

But this is why I feel Koppen is too simple, I stand by my new system, you two can choose to agree or not (you and muslim12)

Old 06-01-2016, 04:48 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,681,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
Imo, if climatologists worldwide have accepted koepnens methods for more than a century then why are we disputing them now? If they were so majorly flawed you would think there would be more of a movement to change it.
Yep, and also classification is secondary to data specific to a location.

Quote:
But this is why I feel Koppen is too simple, I stand by my new system, you two can choose to agree or not (you and muslim12)
Your system also groups climates that wouldn't share much day to day weather and wouldn't feel the same.

That isn't the purpose of a classification anyway (unless you're doing a holiday guide). Classification should be a best attempt at cause and effect of thermal dynamics on a global scale.

Old 06-01-2016, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Yep, and also classification is secondary to data specific to a location.

Your system also groups climates that wouldn't share much day to day weather and wouldn't feel the same.

That isn't the purpose of a classification anyway (unless you're doing a holiday guide). Classification should be a best attempt at cause and effect of thermal dynamics on a global scale.
There is some practical usefulness in my system though, my A group corresponds to where coconut palms can grow unprotected, and in my B group as well as my Oceanic C group, is where palms like Washingtonia's can survive, and also, my B group and Oceanic C Group are the poleward limit of places where snow is limited to non existant

Old 06-01-2016, 06:28 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,707,457 times
Quote:
There is some practical usefulness in my system though, my A group corresponds to where coconut palms can grow unprotected, and in my B group as well as my Oceanic C group, is where palms like Washingtonia's can survive , and also, my B group and Oceanic C Group are the poleward limit of places where snow is limited to non existant
Ain't no Washingtonias here in Vancouver and I doubt they'd survive in Paris or Copenhagen either just sayin....

Old 06-01-2016, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Ain't no Washingtonias here in Vancouver and I doubt they'd survive in Paris or Copenhagen either just sayin....
They can survive in Eureka, CA which has a Csd climate in my system, Dry Summer Cool Oceanic Mild Summer as an example

Old 06-01-2016, 06:50 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,707,457 times
Quote:
They can survive in Eureka, CA which has a Csd climate in my system, Dry Summer Cool Oceanic Mild Summer as an example
But then don't you think your Oceanic C category is too broad then if you put Eureka and Vancouver and Nelson in the same category? I know Eureka and the Northern California coast grows many things that would never make it here or in Copenhagen or Paris.

Old 06-01-2016, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
But then don't you think your Oceanic C category is too broad then if you put Eureka and Vancouver and Nelson in the same category? I know Eureka and the Northern California coast grows many things that would never make it here or in Copenhagen or Paris.
Well, maybe could make a split with the coolest month maximum, say, if coolest months maximum is 53°F or higher, it moves up to B Oceanic, which would then make Eureka Bsd, does that sound better? It would also change Nelson to Boc from Coc, and Motueka from Cod to Bod. Is that better?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather