Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 04:07 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,681,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I think Nelson and Xalapa do share enough similarities to be the same grouping, you are being as bad as tom77falcons, who argues Miami is Continental ffs
Motueka and Nelson share everything thing in common, While Nelson and Xalapa have got pretty much nothing in common.

The problem is that your system just isn't real world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2016, 05:03 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,610,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Motueka and Nelson share everything thing in common, While Nelson and Xalapa have got pretty much nothing in common.

The problem is that your system just isn't real world.
That is like saying that Dallas and Tampa have pretty much nothing in common. You are getting hung up on minutia ?sp?

There are ranges in these, it's NOT like I'm saying every Boc climate has the EXACT SAME temps as each other. But they share common characteristics:

No tropical heat in summer √
No temperate/continental cold in winter √
Overall temps are in subtropical spectrum √
Rainfall exceeds evap without a marked dry season √

The first one is a biggie, this is why Xalapa CAN'T be regular subtropical, because they are NOT HOT in the summer, they have a temperate summer despite overall subtropical temps, that is the key distinction.

Last edited by FirebirdCamaro1220; 06-06-2016 at 05:54 PM..

Old 06-06-2016, 05:44 PM

[quote=Joe90;44320793]
Quote:
That is like%
???

Old 06-06-2016, 05:48 PM

Quote:
No tropical heat in summer √
No temperate/tropical cold in winter √
Overall temps are in subtropical spectrum √
Rainfall exceeds evap without a marked dry season √

Thats's pretty vague.

Nelson and Xalapa are very much different climates. Motueka and Nelson are pretty much identical climates. Your system doesn't say that though -into the bin it goes.

PS: Nelson has recorded a colder temperature than Xalapa's record low temperature for the first month of winter, on every day so far this winter

Old 06-06-2016, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Thats's pretty vague.

Nelson and Xalapa are very much different climates. Motueka and Nelson are pretty much identical climates. Your system doesn't say that though -into the bin it goes.
I'm not scrapping it, you can choose not to agree with it, but I like it, so I am sticking with it

And on that check list, no 2 was supposed to be no temperate/continental cold

Old 06-06-2016, 06:03 PM

Quote:
I'm not scrapping it, you can choose not to agree with it, but I like it, so I am sticking with it

And on that check list, no 2 was supposed to be no temperate/continental cold
What do you like about it? -the fact that it misleads people into thinking Nelson has more in common with Xalapa than neighbouring Motueka?

Your terminology is confused. -continental and subtropical are both temperate climates.

Old 06-06-2016, 06:19 PM

Quote:
What do you like about it? -the fact that it misleads people into thinking Nelson has more in common with Xalapa than neighbouring Motueka?

Your terminology is confused. -continental and subtropical are both temperate climates.
No, I am not confused, they are both midlatitude climates, but to me, temperate describes a zone between subtropical and continental, where continental has winter cold, and subtropical has summer heat, temperate is middle of the road.

And again, Koppen says all 3 have the same climate, so your bone to pick isn't with me. But I appropriately say that Nashville and New Orleans DON'T have the same climate when Koppen says they do. One gets snow and hard freezes while the other has mild winters with Palm Trees, I arrest my case

Old 06-06-2016, 06:34 PM

Quote:
No, I am not confused, they are both midlatitude climates, but to me, temperate describes a zone between subtropical and continental, where continental has winter cold, and subtropical has summer heat, temperate is middle of the road.

And again, Koppen says they have the same climate, so your bone to pick isn't with me. But I appropriately say that Nashville and New Orleans DON'T have the same climate when Koppen says they do. One gets snow and hard freezes while the other has mild winters with Palm Trees, I arrest my case
Nashville and New Orleans do have similar climates from a influences/patterns standpoint, and Koppen was heavy on qualifying features to further the understanding of those similarities.

Nelson and Xalapa share no similarities that I can see. Nelson sits in the roaring 40s and sees low pressure systems that can originate from as far as 70"S, year round. It's oceanic climate means that it is a climate of year round ocean moderated cold weather.

Xalapa is just a tropical climate at altitude, which is evident in precipitation patterns and seasonal temperature range. It's climate is a altitude moderated hot climate

Knowledge of Neson's climate won't provide any understanding of Xalapa's climate, and vise versa.

Old 06-06-2016, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Nashville and New Orleans do have similar climates from a influences/patterns standpoint, and Koppen was heavy on qualifying features to further the understanding of those similarities.

Nelson and Xalapa share no similarities that I can see. Nelson sits in the roaring 40s and sees low pressure systems that can originate from as far as 70"S, year round. It's oceanic climate means that it is a climate of year round ocean moderated cold weather.

Xalapa is just a tropical climate at altitude, which is evident in precipitation patterns and seasonal temperature range. It's climate is an altitude moderated hot climate

Knowledge of Neson's climate won't provide understanding of Xalapa's climate, and vise versa.
You just said in an earlier post that Nelson isn't cold though when I originally had them as Coc, so which is it? Are they or aren't they cold.

And you keep talking patterns and influences, I care about what you experience on the ground, so Nashville and New Orleans will NEVER be the same climate as far as I'm concerned, Nashville avgs like 37 in January, while New Orleans avg's 54 and Nashville is Zone 7 while New Orleans is Zone 9. Nashville has most of the same vegitation you see in Pennsylvania or Ohio, while New Orleans has Spanish Moss and Palm Trees.

I bet you can grow alot of the same things in both Nelson and Xalapa

And Xalapa is not hot, there warmest month only avg's 71F. And they spend a great chunk of the year below 64.4, so Xalapa is very similar to Sao Paolo or Sydney, and AGAIN, I put a place like Nelson on the COLD END of that climate zone, but still put them there

Old 06-06-2016, 06:47 PM

Quote:
You just said in an earlier post that Nelson isn't cold though when I originally had them as Coc, so which is it? Are they or aren't they cold.
Comparing it to Copenhagen, which is 11C colder in winter

Quote:
And you keep talking patterns and influences, I care about what you experience on the ground, so Nashville and New Orleans will NEVER be the same climate as far as I'm concerned, Nashville avgs like 37 in January, while New Orleans avg's 54 and Nashville is Zone 7 while New Orleans is Zone 9. Nashville has most of the same vegitation you see in Pennsylvania or Ohio, while New Orleans has Spanish Moss and Palm Trees.
I don't see that Nelson and Xalapa would feel the same at all, unless you mean Nelson's summer feels like Xalapa's winter?

Quote:
I bet you can grow alot of the same things in both Nelson and Xalapa
The same can be said of Motueka and Moscow's vegetation.

Xalapa's climate has all the hallmarks expected of a tropical climate at altitude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather