Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2017, 01:04 PM

3,147 posts, read 1,983,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
This is seriously a stupid question.
It's still America. It's wouldn't be the same as British people moving to a foreign country such as Cyprus or Portugal.

Old 03-21-2017, 01:06 PM

13,497 posts, read 9,048,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
That's another thing that annoys me, and this isn't just a British thing. When people from wealthier nations visit poorer countries, and expect to be treated like royalty. I remember one time in Prague, a drunken German woman in a restaurant was ordering around a young waitress as if she was a slave.
Yep, in Malta 99% of waiting staff etc.. are foreign so the Maltese themselves treat them like slaves too. Maltese generally don't do lower paid jobs (they would rather claim benefits) then they moan that foreigners are "stealing" their jobs

Old 03-21-2017, 01:07 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,384,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GymFanatic View Post
It's still America. It's wouldn't be the same as British people moving to a foreign country such as Cyprus or Portugal.
That's not what he's saying. Some people just have stupid driving habits - regardless if they're "following the law" or not. Such as driving incredibly slow in the fast lane, cutting people off to go way slower than them in front of them, etc. All of which snowbirds do in abundance. Plus, they just add to the already horrible traffic that we have down here, and their stupid driving habits certainly don't help.

5,706 posts, read 3,782,323 times
Quote:
How can they make driving a nightmare when they are living in the same country and abiding by the same laws and legislations as their home state?
The roads where I live weren't designed to handle today's population and the influx of snowbirds during the winter (which raises the population of Key Biscayne significantly) only makes it worse, especially since they drive slow as ****.

3,147 posts, read 1,983,516 times
What you mean to say is that they are old foggies driving around at 20mph because they've got nowhere to be all day.

Old 03-21-2017, 01:10 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,384,406 times
Which in turn makes driving here a nightmare from November - April. Not sure what's so hard to understand.

Old 03-21-2017, 01:11 PM

6,112 posts, read 3,932,856 times
Quote:
Really? I don't think so. You won't get 12 car trains travelling through rural Iceland every 2 minutes like you get in Cambridge.

The frequency and amount of infrastructure is mostly dictated by population.
I'm referring to infrastructure quality, not quantity. Why would Iceland need 12 car trains travelling through rural areas every two minutes? Most of them would be empty

Old 03-21-2017, 01:14 PM

6,112 posts, read 3,932,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junter View Post
Yes mate Wow, here in Spain about 10 years ago a law was introduced for dog poop, with heavy fines for offenders, as any park with dog playgrounds has bags for dog poop and special bins for those same things. Anyone which don't collect it from the ground... 600€ of fine. Although it idiffers from provinces.

I didn't see any dog poop in any street for many years.

The thing about throwing cigarrettes or anything while driving costs 300€ and 3 points of the driving license.
Here they do £100 on the spot fines, yet it still doesn't stop some people. They should definitely raise the fines.

3,326 posts, read 2,625,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
Must be a cultural thing as Maltese are largely of Arabic origin (despite them trying to vehemently deny it). Much of Malta looks like the Middle East too, which is why many films set there are filmed in Malta...
In fact Maltese is an arabic descendant language but with latin scripture and influences of Italian, right?
Quote:
Infrastructure has a lot to do with population. England wouldn't have it's motorway or rail network without it's large population.
Ibiza has 3 times less population than Malta and has an excellent road network, even with a motorway on it.

I thought Malta had better infrastructure, since tourism makes a lot there and it's interesting to visit the whole island.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
That's the one that gets me the most. People are always moaning about cold weather, yet whenever the temperature rise above 25C everybody complains that it's "too hot". I swear if Britain had a near-perfect climate like Las Palmas, people would still complain about the weather 24/7, it's in our DNA.
Spanish people from Alicante say that 15°C is cold. You don't know how much I irritate when I hear that.

Those guys on the coast don't know what a winter is and in cloudy winter days with 15°C they dress with coats and scarfs. Argh

11,554 posts, read 9,344,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
Yep, in Malta 99% of waiting staff etc.. are foreign so the Maltese themselves treat them like slaves too. Maltese generally don't do lower paid jobs (they would rather claim benefits) then they moan that foreigners are "stealing" their jobs
Sounds like some people in the United States. Yup the Mexicans picking strawberries or gutting catfish are stealing those jobs that you always wanted to do so much. They are the reason you never got a career as a professional catfish gutter like you always dreamed of. And those horrible Indians working in Napa Valley in technology! Because lord knows that if you didnt get a career as a professional catfish picker, designing complicated software programs wouldve been your backup option!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather