Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2017, 04:02 AM

2,155 posts, read 1,542,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Like "he" as in "de"?
We don't use "he" as meaning "det" unless we "do a norrländsk accent" we do use it as "put" though. "Jag hedde ner vasen på bordet" and "Vart ska jag he den här?".
This is again one of those things where we either use the norrländska "he" or we use the standard "lägga" and "stoppa", both being equally natural.

These are differences in the vocabulary though, and so if we were to read a text aloud, most people here wouldn't sound norrländska, especially not me.

Old 04-13-2017, 04:10 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,825,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba_Wethu View Post
We don't use "he" as meaning "det" unless we "do a norrländsk accent" we do use it as "put" though. "Jag hedde ner vasen på bordet" and "Vart ska jag he den här?".
This is again one of those things where we either use the norrländska "he" or we use the standard "lägga" and "stoppa", both being equally natural.

These are differences in the vocabulary though, and so if we were to read a text aloud, most people here wouldn't sound norrländska, especially not me.

Oh, right. The Ostrobothnians use 'he' like in 'han me he blå skjortan' or 'såg du he'. They also use 'han de' for items, which is really weird. 'Han de vasen', 'han de bordet'.

Old 04-13-2017, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lommaren View Post
I do a compromise when saying "Skellefte" I go "Chellefte" rather than "Sjellefte" because I've been taught it's Skellefte but I refuse to not use my own accent when I say it lol

I doubt my grandmother is able to speak "ch" though Never heard her say it like that once ever!
Being able to say it and choosing to say it are different things. I say Umeo, Skellefteo, Luleo etc. myself btw.

Either way, these two are probably pretty representative of how people below I guess 25-30 speak in Umeå.
https://youtu.be/Md6F2iw6Ies

The dialects vary from person to person though, some might say káffe but use a southern sje-sound etc. I atleast can't tell any difference between these people and stockholmare really. But I guess that could be a case of "everything stockholmare say sounds natural to us, but everything we say doesn't necessarily sound natural to them as our "dialect" is more varied.

Old 04-13-2017, 04:55 AM

5,601 posts, read 3,509,451 times
I can't separate that dialect from Stockholm pretty much, seems like Stockholm has colonized the urban core of Umeå Do you speak like that yourself in everyday speech?

I speak more of a rural variety of Stockholm tongue myself and I'd expect my dialect to carry a greater distinction to Stockholm than these Cultural appropriation deluxe!

Old 04-13-2017, 05:15 AM

Quote:
I can't separate that dialect from Stockholm pretty much, seems like Stockholm has colonized the urban core of Umeå Do you speak like that yourself in everyday speech?

I speak more of a rural variety of Stockholm tongue myself and I'd expect my dialect to carry a greater distinction to Stockholm than these Cultural appropriation deluxe!
Yeah. Umeå is a university city though so there's a really large mixture of people and dialects here. I study music which is kind of a novelty class here, and so almost a majority of the people in my class live outside the city. We even had a guy from Skellefteå for a while. Some also choose to embrace Norrland whereas I'd rather reject it, and so they kinda put up norrländska dialects on purpose.

The last year or so I've started to reject norrländska in my everyday speech, so I've completely stopped saying káffe and stóckholm. All within the limit of what's still perfectly normal speech ( I mean if I were to start speaking a different dialect, that would be really weird). I also used to say norrländska sje-sounds, but then for like a week or so, I tried replacing it for the southern variant when talking to my girlfriend kind of like a joke but it kinda just stuck around with me since then, and since there are people here that also say it like that naturally, I still talk normally so to say. All in all, my current dialect is kind of like a cherrypick dialect to more resemble standard Swedish, in case I were to move south, and also to support my thesis that people from Umeå talk like stockholmare .

I always differentiate between Ö that are and aren't followed by R... Do you pronunciate Öga and Öra the same? The younger kids have started to do that here as well... Interesting that Umeå has retained the standard Swedish pronunciation in that regard whereas southern Sweden hasn't...

Also, Ariete, that osthrobothnian dialect is weird

Old 04-13-2017, 05:27 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,825,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba_Wethu View Post
Also, Ariete, that osthrobothnian dialect is weird

It is. Extremes parts seem to have extreme dialects: Scanian and Ostrobothnian.

Old 04-13-2017, 05:31 AM

There's a major difference for myself in terms of "öga" being slightly more forward on the tongue than "öra".

Apart from that I can't differentiate someone from Nyköping in Stockholm, but I'm told people from other parts of the country can hear differences in how we speak down here. The good thing with it being a bit of a hybrid dialect is that it's rarely misunderstood. We have very few "own" expressions so wherever in Sweden I go people will always understand the full context of what I'm saying.

So it's a bit of a dialectal version of standard Swedish which is kind of fun in itself What I've observed lately is that I tend to skip a lot of D's in sentences, do you too or is that a dialectal trait I have?

"Jag undrar hur du mår"? would be more like "Ja unndrarr húrú mår"? (that means "I wonder how you're doing"? for foreigners)

What I'd imagine is very frustrating when learning Swedish is how extreme the dialects of the same language can be even with so few native speakers. Imagine listening to Scanian and Northbothnian as a foreigner and managing to understand both? Then that only takes into account that those emigrating to Sweden only come in contact with the national accents within Sweden, let alone the Finnish dialects of it Comparing Scanian to Northbothnian is like comparing Australian to Scottish accent!

Old 04-13-2017, 05:49 AM

3,147 posts, read 1,981,511 times
I guess this is now, Sweedydata? You can be certain that the rest of us haven't got a clue what is being discussed here.

Old 04-13-2017, 05:54 AM

Quote:
There's a major difference for myself in terms of "öga" being slightly more forward on the tongue than "öra".

Apart from that I can't differentiate someone from Nyköping in Stockholm, but I'm told people from other parts of the country can hear differences in how we speak down here. The good thing with it being a bit of a hybrid dialect is that it's rarely misunderstood. We have very few "own" expressions so wherever in Sweden I go people will always understand the full context of what I'm saying.

So it's a bit of a dialectal version of standard Swedish which is kind of fun in itself What I've observed lately is that I tend to skip a lot of D's in sentences, do you too or is that a dialectal trait I have?

"Jag undrar hur du mår"? would be more like "Ja unndrarr húrú mår"? (that means "I wonder how you're doing"? for foreigners)

What I'd imagine is very frustrating when learning Swedish is how extreme the dialects of the same language can be even with so few native speakers. Imagine listening to Scanian and Northbothnian as a foreigner and managing to understand both? Then that only takes into account that those emigrating to Sweden only come in contact with the national accents within Sweden, let alone the Finnish dialects of it Comparing Scanian to Northbothnian is like comparing Australian to Scottish accent!
We do the same as you. "Vad är det?" becomes " Va äre?" etc. I usually even write huru and äre in informal text.

A dilemma I've thought about is whether to teach immigrants here to say sje-sounds kind of like an "h" like you guys do, or like an english sh-sound like we do.

Old 04-13-2017, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GymFanatic View Post
I guess this is now, Sweedydata?
Damn us foreignors You're just jealous you're not bilingual like we are
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather