Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2017, 01:31 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,601,133 times

Advertisements

So basically what Joe90 prefers is a downtown that's a giant shopping mall. I am thankful that isn't the case here.

Old 06-19-2017, 01:37 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,335,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
So basically what Joe90 prefers is a downtown that's a giant shopping mall. I am thankful that isn't the case here.
Sounds like 90% of Americans. To them the Downtown is Walmart surrounded by parking lots and crappy chain restaurants

I prefer Downtowns like that of New York or Boston or Lima

Old 06-19-2017, 01:39 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,696,173 times
Quote:
Nope, just covered sidewalks. No stoic shoppers here.

Seems pretty common sense to me. Your streets must be empty on rainy days.

Old 06-19-2017, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Sounds like 90% of Americans. To them the Downtown is Walmart surrounded by parking lots and crappy chain restaurants

I prefer Downtowns like that of New York or Boston or Lima
I think you've gained the wrong impression. I'm just talking about streets in town, nothing to do with malls at all.

When I photos of streets without covered sidewalks, they just seem soulless, depressing places that aren't people friendly.

Old 06-19-2017, 01:45 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,335,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
I think you've gained the wrong impression. I'm just talking about streets in town, nothing to do with malls at all.

When I photos of streets without covered sidewalks, they just seem soulless, depressing places that aren't people friendly.
I think unless you live in an awful climate like Upstate NY or Liverpool then covered sidewalks are not necessary. Even in NYC which is not the best climate I think that would be absolutely unneccesary and ruin the amazing skyline view of New York

Old 06-19-2017, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
I think unless you live in an awful climate like Upstate NY or Liverpool then covered sidewalks are not necessary. Even in NYC which is not the best climate I think that would be absolutely unneccesary and ruin the amazing skyline view of New York
I think places like Liverpool and NW Europe in general, don't have covered sidewalks because they have a climate that doesn't suit them. Covered sidewalks, are more a sign of a reasonable outdoors climate, not a bad outdoor climate.

Old 06-19-2017, 01:53 PM

Quote:

So you think Las Ramblas and Champs Elysees are soulless and depressing places? They should take urban planning advice from New Zealand, a place that certainly isn't renowned for its beautiful built environment?

Yeah, no, I don't think so. New World cities are almost always ugly.

Old 06-19-2017, 01:58 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,374,279 times
I don't get the pickiness behind it. I don't think somewhere looks better because of covered sidewalks lol and rain, unless it's absolutely pouring, doesn't affect me much either. I don't even bother with an umbrella the grand majority of the time. The sun can be annoying, nothing a good pair of shades can't help.

Old 06-19-2017, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
I don't get the pickiness behind it. I don't think somewhere looks better because of covered sidewalks lol and rain, unless it's absolutely pouring, doesn't affect me much either. I don't even bother with an umbrella the grand majority of the time. The sun can be annoying, nothing a good pair of shades can't help.
To me it's not about aesthetics, but practicality. Why get wet, or hot when you don't need to
Quote:
So you think Las Ramblas and Champs Elysees are soulless and depressing places? They should take urban planning advice from New Zealand, a place that certainly isn't renowned for its beautiful built environment?

Yeah, no, I don't think so. New World cities are almost always ugly.
They would be when the the streets are wet and empty. A wet day here seems a good excuse to have a coffee on the footpath -catch up with others of my ilk.

I don't really get into old world/new world beautiful/ugly city stuff, but overseas visitors have told me that downtown Nelson is attractive.

Old 06-19-2017, 02:02 PM

Quote:
To me it's not about aesthetics, but practicality. Why get wet, or hot when you don't need to.
Because cities in Europe have more reason to value aesthetics, for obvious reasons. There are usually very strict rules in place for what kind of structures you can place in certain areas - things have to be sympathetic to the existing built environment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather